IMPBA RTR rules in June Roostertail

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piper_chuck

The RTR rules that Kelly Miller and I wrote have been published in the June 2008 Roostertail. They're in effect for a 1 year trial. You can download the Roostertail at the IMPBA site: http://www.impba.net/

Well...just a thing or two I see...

First off...is the reference to stickers "...display colorful decals to enhance the spirit of this class.". If anyone followed the letter of this rule, a boat that was painted and had no stickers would not follow the rules. I really think it should make no difference if a person wants to run their boat naked, stickered, or painted...so really don't think this belongs in the rules at all.

I dont know if the intro is supposed to be part of the rules, but it mentions replacing the engine with an "alternate stock engine" for the modified class. To me, "stock" means what came in it from the OEM. This sounds like it was intended for the stock class. IE a person could put an AQ .18 into a proboat and still run in the "stock RTR" class. It sounds like this would remove the use of the CVRM from the modified class because no manufacturer puts it in an RTR as a "Stock engine."

Otherwise, looks pretty good to me.

Glad this is finally out there for people to use and figure out...it is a step closer to having an actual RTR class.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
First off...is the reference to stickers "...display colorful decals to enhance the spirit of this class.". If anyone followed the letter of this rule, a boat that was painted and had no stickers would not follow the rules. I really think it should make no difference if a person wants to run their boat naked, stickered, or painted...so really don't think this belongs in the rules at all.
Well actually the idea is like the other sport hydro classes with making them look a little more realistic so that the average person can relate to them. Create something visually appealing with the added advantage being this is something they can try without busting the bank to see if they like it. Personally I agree with wanting to see them look good for that very reason and think this part totally belongs. ;)

Well actually the idea is like the other sport hydro classes with making them look a little more realistic so that the average person can relate to them. Create something visually appealing with the added advantage being this is something they can try without busting the bank to see if they like it. Personally I agree with wanting to see them look good for that very reason and think this part totally belongs. ;)

Agree....

We have enough thingy classes as it is.. This ads just a tad more spice to the classes and make a guy that much more proud of his project.. even if it is an RTR.

Grim

Sean, one thing to remember is this is a one year trial for the rules to get them tweaked before they go final. Keep a list of changes you would like to see and towards the end of th eyear submit them to your District Director. Also the more RTR racers you can get to do the same thing the better the rules will end up when they go final. Good luck at the races this year.

The boat comes with a sticker sheet, so paint your boat, work in some of the free stickers to the paint job and call it good

rules for the mod class work perfect----short and to the point---anything goes as long as displacement is no larger than stock(.18)

rules for the mod class work perfect----short and to the point---anything goes as long as displacement is no larger than stock(.18)
Don't fall into the trap of assuming that the rules are written for a specific engine size, cause they're not. ;) If we did these rules right, they should work equally as well for Miss Vegas hydros, Mean Machines, Thundercats, Rio 51s, ProBoat 1/8 scale hydros, etc (not racing all together).

I dont know if the intro is supposed to be part of the rules, but it mentions replacing the engine with an "alternate stock engine" for the modified class. To me, "stock" means what came in it from the OEM. This sounds like it was intended for the stock class. IE a person could put an AQ .18 into a proboat and still run in the "stock RTR" class. It sounds like this would remove the use of the CVRM from the modified class because no manufacturer puts it in an RTR as a "Stock engine."
The introductory text was there to describe the problem and what was being done to fix it. The rules for modified do not include the text in question. Any engine, stock or modified, that has the same displacement will work.

Sean, one thing to remember is this is a one year trial for the rules to get them tweaked before they go final. Keep a list of changes you would like to see and towards the end of th eyear submit them to your District Director. Also the more RTR racers you can get to do the same thing the better the rules will end up when they go final. Good luck at the races this year.
I hope to see additional discussions as these rules get used and I fully expect some changes to be made at the end of the trial. For example, Sean's point about painted on graphics is valid. A simple change of the word "decal" to "graphics" will maintain the intent that the boats be decorated without specifying a method of applying them. As others have said, I do think some form of sprucing up should be required.

Interestingly, now that the rules have passed, my Vegas is no longer legal. It doesn't have the wing and it was a scratch and dent that came without the graphics, so it's plain orange. I've also replaced the engine with a .18 CVR-M and will finish installing the Macs pipe tonight. I've taken another one out of the box to run in stock class. :D

was kind of aiming that to me and sean thats why () was around .18....my fault.

Im with ya on the "as a whole for the rtr's" as there about a dozen different ones and most with different size engines from .15-.32 and gas from 25.4cc-28cc , as long as it doesnt exceed the manufactured, (with boat) engine size its good to go in mod class --- example anything not over .18 for a vegas is good to go ---- gas example anything not over 28cc in the rio is good to go

and with that typed any modified engine no matter what the mods are goes as long as the displacement does not exceed the limit for the boat's original engine size

{{{{so guys stroke your 260's they wont do tear downs----kidding}}}}

thats how the rules look to me so please correct me if something is out of place

Either way...get rid of it, or fix it so a painted boat is legal by the letter of the rules.

Remember, these aren't scale boats...I was not aware that any other sport hydro class other than scale has any requirement other than having some sort of cockpit. Guess I need to read the rules more. <_<

Would hate for some poor 12 year old to show up at a race and not be allowed to run because he did not have any stickers/paint on his boat. Would kind of screw up the whole purpose of the class.

This should be a very simple class...with simple requirements, to make it as easy as possible for the new guy to get into this hobby...I think most folks will adorn their boats as they see fit (we did)...attached pics are from a few different races I went to and show boats that different people did graphics on, without being forced to. The point I am trying to make is that folks are going to do this to their boats, I just dont think they should be forced to, to be able to race.

Sean

PS, just trying to put my 2 cents in... between me and my family we race 3 RTRs...so we have a little experience with the class.

Just figured this is the time to fix stuff like this...so some over zealous CD does not cause any problems by trying to follow the letter of the rule...leaving some poor kid unable to run.

if only that frog was a sticker :lol: seriously I can see where he (sean) is coming from with "the written rule" and CD getting overly excited trying to follow it to the absolute letter of the book--

A simple change of the word "decal" to "graphics" will maintain the intent that the boats be decorated without specifying a method of applying them.
The above written by chuck is the solution to the problem---very easy fix that could be done in a matter of minutes with a few key strokes to save some possibly serious trouble at a race---

if only that frog was a sticker :lol: seriously I can see where he (sean) is coming from with "the written rule" and CD getting overly excited trying to follow it to the absolute letter of the book--
A simple change of the word "decal" to "graphics" will maintain the intent that the boats be decorated without specifying a method of applying them.
The above written by chuck is the solution to the problem---very easy fix that could be done in a matter of minutes with a few key strokes to save some possibly serious trouble at a race---
And that fix can certainly be made, at some point. Personally, I don't see it as an urgent problem. Perhaps the CDs in other areas are different, but I can't think of a single one I've run into at any district races who would even notice that an RTR boat had painted on graphics versus decals. Even if they did notice, I can't think of one who would tell a 12 year old, or anyone else, that they couldn't race because of it. Anyone being that fussy is doing a disservice to their club, the racer, and the hobby.

Back