IMPBA legal outboards

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you didnt make it, you will have trouble getting it grandfathered.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

So if I have my 2 plus otto s are you saying because I didn't make them they will not be grandfathered in?

So if I have my 2 plus otto s are you saying because I didn't make them they will not be grandfathered in?
If you wait till the new rules go in to effect, if they ever do, they may or may not be legal. Another possibility is to allow custom designs in specific classes

All that I have we're built Impba rules , all that I have are legal , can't see how it makes a difference how made it . Sad part is these lowers are four and five years old , and it not like there the dominate set up , but a couple of people have a spoke in there A!! ,so now they want to make them a illegal unit . Iam about tunnels and whatever it is to keep the sport going forward . this really seems like a witch hunt to me ,

My intent is to define an outboard something like this. "An outboard motor (nitro, fast electric or gas)"shall be defined by the following criteria

1, it shall be a self contained power unit, and must be removable as a complete unit.

2, it shall mount externally to a nearly vertical transom.

3, it shall use a metal propeller that drives the boat by direct contact with the water, no air propulsion.

4, it shall be steerable as a unit for outboard tunnels, but may be locked in place, for outboard hydros, if the hydro is steered by a separate water rudder.

5. The intent of these rules is to make the outboard resemble the full size outboards used in racing.

6, nitro engine classes shall consist of A, B, C, D, E and F (modified) B sport (stock apearing) SST 45 (modified but no tuned pipe.

7, fast electric (to be determined)

8, gas (to be determined )

9, grandfathered outboards, outboards currently being raced in IMPBA that do not fit the new rules, will be grandfathered as needed. Not all will be allowed.

This is just a rough draft. Please feel free to comment. If you don't currently run one of the "questionable outboard", don't ask to get one grandfathered.

How can you change a rule to not allow something that was already allowed, is crazy , Me and my crew add a lot of tunnels to the numbers that race why would you cut that down ,you would think you would want to get the numbers up, one other thing how many people run in E. F tunnel ,we add to the class to the numbers up .

Thanks your WITCH Shane

Question time: (i feel i need to add this beofore i type, my questions are not meant to be negative, just looking for information)

If the outboards Shane has pictured above where to mount to a vertical transom, would they be legal? If not, specifically why not?

Why do outboard hydro's get a special mention? Shouldn't they have to turn the outboard for steering like the 'real' ones?

I agree with Shane, the below statement seems silly...why would you want to outlaw a boat/boats that have been racing for many years and do not have any advantage over the conventional style outboard? To then say that if i built my own copy today of Shane's that I could not race it? Why not?

default_smile.png

If you wait till the new rules go in to effect, if they ever do, they may or may not be legal. Another possibility is to allow custom designs in specific classes

Just a quick note, as IMPBA Outboard Director, an appointed position, I have no authority to make any rules. I can only make suggestions to the board. I love to think outside the box myself.

5. The intent of these rules is to make the outboard resemble the full size outboards used in racing.
Going forward, that is main item I'd like to see. Since I wasn't in IMPBA when the K&B 3.5 outboard came out, can only guess the rules were quickly written up. Not thinking where technology would bring us. Is it time for an update?

However, up to the date of rule(s) change is applied, any unit made and used at a sanctioned race/time trial, before that date, should be "grandfathered" in.

Shane, as you, I'm nothing but tunnels. I want to move this part of the hobby forward. Became a CD this year to get my club more active. The three LHS don't know a thing about our club. I plan to change that. There's some EP boaters that may be talked into becoming members. I need their help as I now have a P tunnel. And you mentioned E&F classes. Yep, have those too.

Lohring, I've seen those river runners. Guess I should have stated show me a version that is allowed in sanctioned racing: APBA, etc.

My opinion is the same for those that run a gas inboard "in" their tunnel. It's not the same for me.

If it's built per the rules, I have no say.

Last edited by a moderator:
"If it isn't broke don't FIX it!!!! No one is building turntable lowers for .21's. Because reliable equipment is available. This is such a non issue in the future of outboard racing. Outboards are declining, period. Charleston peaked between 2009 and 2013. Since then it has been declining. We started the Southeast Tunnel Racing Assn. here in Florida in 2011 and that led to the Herb Stewart race which seems there is little interest in. And this in the most concentrated area of tunnels. Lets hope new tunnelheads like Mark Scott, Jeff Maturo and others will keep things alive. Allow for innovation and move forward with rules that expand racing like formal national FE and gas classes.

Mic

I really don't understand why this is being discussed but I can tell you the reason the rules were written like they are. In 1979 (I think correct year), Myself, Doc turner and Ed lackey were on our way to the Internats in Orlando Fl. and while on the road we wrote a rough proposal to try to get O.B.'s into IMPBA. It was presented to the board and they said a flat NO and said they didn't need any more classes. After the race (and after I won D-hydro heat racing with an O.B.) we came home and Doc turner got on the telephone and talked to all the directors and convinced them to give the O.B. classes a chance. Fred McBroom was the president and he thought hydros were the only classes that were important and he was against it all the way but the board won out. A few simple rules were put in place to allow O.B. tunnel hulls and hydros to be run. Some one came up with the idea that Hydros would run better with a turn fin instead of turning the motor ( I don't remember the reason that was given) but that's how that rule came into play. Originally there were no specifics given for the motors or boats and It was probably done that way just to get the issue closed. I truly believe they though the classes wouldn't last but it seems the O.B's are still doing well after all these years.

i would like to see them also

marty

power head an lower same manufacture the same
Any rules that rely on single or limited manufacturers are VERY NONINCLUSIVE and WILL have to be revised over and over and over again.

Much like our P-LTD "Spec" style class, you are asking for trouble.

WHY a Lawless would have to be "grandfathered in", and not just simply LEGAL, is the sign of a very poorly written rule!

I really don't understand why this is being discussed but I can tell you the reason the rules were written like they are. In 1979 (I think correct year), Myself, Doc turner and Ed lackey were on our way to the Internats in Orlando Fl. and while on the road we wrote a rough proposal to try to get O.B.'s into IMPBA. It was presented to the board and they said a flat NO and said they didn't need any more classes. After the race (and after I won D-hydro heat racing with an O.B.) we came home and Doc turner got on the telephone and talked to all the directors and convinced them to give the O.B. classes a chance. Fred McBroom was the president and he thought hydros were the only classes that were important and he was against it all the way but the board won out. A few simple rules were put in place to allow O.B. tunnel hulls and hydros to be run. Some one came up with the idea that Hydros would run better with a turn fin instead of turning the motor ( I don't remember the reason that was given) but that's how that rule came into play. Originally there were no specifics given for the motors or boats and It was probably done that way just to get the issue closed. I truly believe they though the classes wouldn't last but it seems the O.B's are still doing well after all these years.
TommyThe reason for all this discussion is because some racers are running motors mounted inside the boat. Some of these boats don't even have a transom. The motor is mounted to a turn table, that is mounted to the floor of the boat. The engine is an inboard, mounted to the swivel mount. I think enough is enough

"If it isn't broke don't FIX it!!!! No one is building turntable lowers for .21's. Because reliable equipment is available. This is such a non issue in the future of outboard racing. Outboards are declining, period. Charleston peaked between 2009 and 2013. Since then it has been declining. We started the Southeast Tunnel Racing Assn. here in Florida in 2011 and that led to the Herb Stewart race which seems there is little interest in. And this in the most concentrated area of tunnels. Lets hope new tunnelheads like Mark Scott, Jeff Maturo and others will keep things alive. Allow for innovation and move forward with rules that expand racing like formal national FE and gas classes.

Mic
EXACTLY !!!!

I agree with Bob the ones showed by Shane are inboards like Bob mentioned any rule i have seen says engine has to be in back of boat off the transom

i would like to see them also

marty

power head an lower same manufacture the same
Any rules that rely on single or limited manufacturers are VERY NONINCLUSIVE and WILL have to be revised over and over and over again.

Much like our P-LTD "Spec" style class, you are asking for trouble.

WHY a Lawless would have to be "grandfathered in", and not just simply LEGAL, is the sign of a very poorly written rule!
Darin,I looked at the current rule book and at Bob's first pass ob clarification suggestions. I dont see anything that would make the Lawless have a need to be grandfathered. Where did that come from????? They are a standard lower unit that mounts to a vertical transom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back