IMPBA dist 4 Scale 20 Rules

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like a person could run a 20 tunnel in this class,if I read the rules right?

Bob

Hello Doug,

...and all I can say to that.... why the hell not?
Just can't get enough of those sport hydros! :D I swore I'de never run nitro again but what the heck. Lots of guys around this area racing them and it's a nice sized boat with some killer speeds. That is unless they tell me I can race the same size boat on electrics, naw, that wouldn't be fair to the nitro guys. ;)

Paul.

6. Drive dog must not be visible when viewing transom from above

How do you get around this rule with a tunnel? I guess the cavitation plate covers the drive dog..

Interesting.

Charley

krpnova said:
It looks like a person could run a 20 tunnel in this class,if I read the rules right?Bob
[7. 3 point hydro configuration, No riggers, or Canards.]

I don't think you can work around that to run a tunnel.

Hey guys, The word " tunnel" applies to the portion of hull between the sponsons. This area is clled the tunnel. It has nothing to do with a tunnel boat. No outboards in this class! I run sport 21 in Namba district 9. This is such a great class. I sold a boat to a real nice guy in michigan who is hoping to add the class in his impba district as well. I basically started 21 in our district 5 years ago, and just have a blast driving these boats. I build a very competitive hull in epoxy. If you guys need hulls let me know. I probably couldn't do anything until after the first of the year. Happy boating! Bob Tuttle [email protected] B)

TomMoorehouse said:
I just thought I would post these for people to read:
http://new.intlwaters.com/scale20rules.htm
The scale 20 idea was good but there was not enough intrest in doing scale boats. these rules are not official but meant to give a direction to the scale 20 boats.

Looks like the sport20 class is following the sport40 rules from what i see running. the more we stay in line with current sport rules the better we will be.

Most of the boats are in the 30 inch long size the 36 size is a bit too long for 20.

The drive dog rule should be same as sport 40.

Maybe some of you can input some basic rules without getting carried away with the details.

What are the basic rules for NAMBA sport20?

Phil Thomas

Scale is scale and this is a mix of scale and sport rules. In NAMBA in scale if it can be proved that it was run it can be ran in Scale.

In sport you have minimum of 27 inches. no Max size.

The drive dog can be one length past the transom.

Pickle forks can mot be greater than 25% of the hull.

After plane cannot be greater than 60% of the hull.

The tunnel on either side of the motor well cannot be more than 3/8 of an inch.

No planing surfaces allowed in the rear of the boat.

Pipes must not be exposed.

This is basically it there is a bit more but I can not remember

Paul Pachmayer said:
Hello Doug,
...and all I can say to that.... why the hell not?
Just can't get enough of those sport hydros! :D I swore I'de never run nitro again but what the heck. Lots of guys around this area racing them and it's a nice sized boat with some killer speeds. That is unless they tell me I can race the same size boat on electrics, naw, that wouldn't be fair to the nitro guys. ;)

Paul.
Paul I run the Sport 20 in Q Sport and will be running them in XLSH. I have run the Nitro when Elecrtics wane and there is not enough racing to fill that empty spot. I have three hulls in the size a lobster hull a 1955 shovel and a 1994 Smokin Joes.and am setting them up for each class. Roy Munoz was over and spent the day talking gbout sport and scale yesterday, What fun! Bob Tuttel has built some of the most sucessful sport 20 in the district in nitro. If you were to get one from him it will be a preformer. And right now the Electric boat woulod have a hard time due to the 30 sec. mill and then to run a mile. Our speeds (My War Eagle SAW average in Q sport hydro at 64.47 MPH) are great but the run time too short.

Hello Randy,

I'm actually building my boat from the Dumas PaynPak kit with one of Grims turbine cowls, really nice boat. I also saw Phil Thomas's new sport 20 which has a KILLER look to it, like nothing else out there. I'm on the list for at least 1 of Phils boats, maybe 2 if I can get him to lay one up light for me. ;)

Your right about the electrics, run time problems. But, it would be interesting to try. :)

Paul.

I know that after the LiPo get the bugs worked out we will have the run time, But that is not for a while. I want to race Bob Tuttel with my WE electric on the electric course for fun to see what happens. He agreed and we will do it some time next year.

Phil

On the NAMBA rules I remered the transom has to be 4 inches or wider. There is more on paint and driver compartment if you need them.

ok a few real quick questions.

1. will there be a master hull roster as i understand there is with the larger guys

2. what is a class b engine?

3. where can i buy one of these? i see bob tuttle makes them is there anybody else?

thanx

-=cy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Cy,

1. will there be a master hull roster as i understand there is with the larger guys
Nope, this is a sport class so no roster is needed.

2. what is a class b engine?
Yep.

3. where can i buy one of these? i see bob tuttle makes them is there anybody else?
BBY, MHZ, H&M, Dumas. I saw Phil had a new one coming around spring, these are what I know of off the top of my head but I'm sure there are others.

Paul.

Hey Paul, I do have pics of my boat. I'm in the midst of changes to the boat. I will be testing in a few weeks. I am moving my radio box forward and placing tanks under the deck. After racing the boat a few times, I feel like I need to move the cg forward.This is quite different from the wood prototype. The glass boat rides a little different. Plus I made an engine change on the glass boat, going from an os to a mac21. A new cowl is also in the works. My son, for a school project, built me a web site. check it out and let me know what you think. address is:geocities.com/rhtmarine276/ You can also see my boat @Fibreglast.com "project of the month" Bob B)

I have a quick question about sport 20 hydros. I just got a pay n pac for christmas, and I was wondering what the best material would be for sealing the hull. I hear that the west systems expoxy is good, would standard automotive paint also work? I was also unsure of where the cg on the boat should be. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Matt

Latest posts

Back