IMPBA D1 - Northern Lights MBC - 2017 "THE CAN-AM" Aug 12 & 13.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh by the way I'm sure John Bridge & Johnny Freund would approve that beautiful trophy! Nice Job, it's on my schedule for next year.

Thanks John

Yup, walnut makes for a nice trophy. We'd love to have you anytime!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We could use another E or F hydro. Sport 40 Hydro needs help as well folks. 2 Day race up here. Lots of raffle prizes. 50-50 As well. $$$$$

Hi T

I have question, when we first started the "Can Am" it was a big D-2 event, how is it that another club in D-2 is running an event the same weekend?

Thanks John

Sorry, didn't see this at first. The Can-Am is Aug 12 & 13, when is the D2 race you're talking about?

ps: Might make it to Burton, working on it!
default_smile.png

Hi T

I have question, when we first started the "Can Am" it was a big D-2 event, how is it that another club in D-2 is running an event the same weekend?

Thanks John

Sorry, didn't see this at first. The Can-Am is Aug 12 & 13, when is the D2 race you're talking about?

ps: Might make it to Burton, working on it!
default_smile.png
Hi Terry,

My mistake, on our Saginaw club calendar it has the Hydro Fest at Burton on the 13th thus my question. In checking the Hydro Fest is the 6th and not competing with the CanAm.

Thanks John

Heard that our only "Sport 60" entry from Quebec can't make it this year so our "1/8th Scale" class currently has seven Scale boats ready to rumble.

We also have good numbers in B mono and B & D hydro so if any of you D2 guys wanna come and see if you can keep up with us up here in D1 - we're ready for you.
default_ohmy.png

DSCN5182~0.JPG

Hi Terry,

My mistake, on our Saginaw club calendar it has the Hydro Fest at Burton on the 13th thus my question. In checking the Hydro Fest is the 6th and not competing with the CanAm.

Thanks John
John,

we pulled the Hydrofest up a week so as not to step on this race
default_smile.png

Here is hotel and camping info.

Hotels for Fifty Point Race:

All hotels are within 5-15 minutes from the pond.

Super 8 – (Recommended) Grimsby - http://www.super8.com/hotels/ontario...hotel-overview
Comfort Inn – (Recommended) Hamilton (Centennial Parkway) http://www.choicehotels.ca/en/comfor...romo=gglocalca

Quality Hotel – (Recommended) Hamilton (Centennial Parkway) - http://www.choicehotels.ca/en/qualit...on-hotel-cna40
Lake Trail Motel (Inexpensive) 423 North Service Rd. Stoney Creek, ON. ‎(905) 662-1599
Casablanca Winery Inn (Expensive) – Grimsby - http://www.casablancawineryinn.com/

Ramada Beacon Harbourside (Expensive) – Jordan - http://www.ramadabeacon.com/

Fruitland Motel (Inexpensive) 687 8 Hwy, Stoney Creek, ON. ‎(905) 643-2931

Innsville Motel (Inexpensive) 1143 Highway 8, Stoney Creek, ON. ‎(905) 643-1244

Stoney Creek Motel (Inexpensive) - http://www.stoneycreekmotel.ca/

Camping:
FIFTY POINT CONSERVATION AREA
Address: 1479 Baseline Road, Winona, ON, L8E 5G4
Phone: 905-525-2187
Email: [email protected]

This is a great time if you never been to a D1 race in Canada your money goes a longer way theses days up here,

[SIZE=1.8em]100 USD =[/SIZE]126.489[SIZE=1.8em]CAD[/SIZE]

US Dollar1 USD = 1.26489 CAD

Canadian Dollar1 CAD = 0.790582 USD

Shaping up to be a great event, if you decide to come last minute let me know, we guarantee a great time!

Weather is looking good, maybe a weak system coming through Saturday but nothing serious, highs mid 70's and light winds.

Found a couple of sites to check border crossing times, check them out:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/bwt-taf/menu-eng.html

https://bwt.cbp.gov/index.html

See ya'll on the weekend!
default_smile.png

Thanks to the NLMBC gang for a great weekend! Watching Olly Douglas and Steve Ball duke it out in 20 hydro made for an exciting heat. See you guys next year. Team USA will be defending the Can Am trophy next year!

I'm very proud of all our NLMBC members, family and friends that worked tirelessly to host another great event for our guests. The racing was very competitive and the whole event was just plain a lot of fun.

Team Canada's three year reign over the "Can-Am Challenge" has been broken as Team USA prevailed this year with a combined total of 14,082 to Team Canada's 11,350. The "Can-Am Cup" was presented to Team USA who got a little wet in the process!

_MG_6758.JPG

Team Canada's mascot "Barney the Beaver" was closely guarded this year so there was no kidnapping or other shenanigans.

Cindy Driver did however present NLMBC President Andrew Lane with a "Special" hat for a bet that was lost at the Gas Nats earlier in the year:

DSCN5501.JPG

Randy Rap commissioned a new trophy called "The Little Beaver" for the contestant that traveled the furthest to our event. Tom Baffer Jr. came from the NYC area and IMPBA Hall of Fame member Steve Ball came from Ft. Wayne, IN but it was determined that Mike Paginelli was slightly further in New York that Tom. Here's Pag's kissing the Little Beaver:

_MG_6743.JPG

Many contestants posted perfect scores in their respective classes but one actually had perfect scores in three and used them to capture the "Oneida Cup". Here's Randy presenting Tom Baffer Jr. with the cup for 2017:

_MG_6771.JPG

Watch for a full write-up in the upcoming IMPBA Roostertail, scores are posted at: http://www.rcracingevents.com/cgi-bin/raceresults.pl?action=show_race&club=Northern%20Lights%20Model%20Boat%20Club&event=canam2017

We are tentatively planning Aug 11 & 12th next year so mark your calendars and we hope to see you then!

Thanks to all the NLMBC members for another great race weekend. Looking forward to next year!

Tom & Cindy

Thanks to the "Northern Lights Model Boat Club" for putting on a great race this past weekend. I'd like to also thank all the fantastic sponsors that helped out. Without these people, it would be hard to put on a race of this caliber! The site and facilities were top notch, but what will bring me back to this race, is the quality of officiating! All infractions, jumped starts, and penalties were called immediately, correctly and without bias. And to top it off, along with meeting new people, I got to spend the weekend with my Son!

Steve Ball

Steve we were thrilled to have you. Glad Michael could make it also, he has some screaming fast boats. The both of you please come back again next year.

Thanks to the "Northern Lights Model Boat Club" for putting on a great race this past weekend. I'd like to also thank all the fantastic sponsors that helped out. Without these people, it would be hard to put on a race of this caliber! The site and facilities were top notch, but what will bring me back to this race, is the quality of officiating! All infractions, jumped starts, and penalties were called immediately, correctly and without bias. And to top it off, along with meeting new people, I got to spend the weekend with my Son!

Steve Ball
Thank you for the compliment Steve. Terry and I do our best to call a good race and make fair and unbiased calls. I'm already looking forward to 2018. [emoji6]

I would like to send out a huge THANK YOU to the entire NLMBC members for giving us a great location and event to race at! Beyond the location and organization of this event; their open arms for ANY power source is what stands out to me. The NLMBC is leading the way when it comes to hosting a “mixed” event. Lots of very fair calls from the CD tower, heck; I was even called over on a start! Ha ha!

The men handling the retrieve boat were very helpful during open water while I was working out some issues and trying to break in in my new .21 hydro.

Thanks to Oliver and Rissa for being such great hosts and allowing us to spend the weekend at the pond with them.

Thanks to Mr. Keeley for a few a few parts, some suggestions, and encouragement on Friday night allowing me to get the new .21 boat sorted out enough to race all weekend AND finish my heats (all but one). Not bad for a brand new ride!

Thanks to Tom Baffer Jr. for a couple parts and pieces on Sunday allowing me to fix my .40 hydro so I could keep racing!

Thanks to Tom Castellani for being my nitro pit guy over the weekend.

Lastly all of the help and fun I had with my Dad. He is always there to answer questions, offer suggestions, and we had lots of fun racing against each other. A little more tuning on my boats and hopefully I can put a little more “heat” on him!

What a fun weekend; wrenching and all!

Steve Ball

Thanks Steve, as Randy mentioned we try hard to call a fair race, the start line string really helps, why more clubs don't use it I'll never know.

Congrats on winning the "Motley Crew"!
default_tongue.png

TJB_3346.jpg

Latest posts

Back