identify this OPS motor?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigged

have no idea what size this motor is, 60-65-67-80? All that is stamped on it is

OPS on both sides of the case, and 666 on the bottom of the backplate.

OPSmotor.jpg

Looks like an earlier version Gold head 65.
It is the original OPS 65 with a built in water cooling jacket, I ran them for over 20 years. All current OPS 67 parts will still fit this case. I wish I still had this case. They were bullet proof & the cooling was great.

OPS 65( early 80's) but can't remember to see one will steel flywheel,only brass.

Gill

It is the original OPS 65 with a built in water cooling jacket, I ran them for over 20 years. All current OPS 67 parts will still fit this case. I wish I still had this case. They were bullet proof & the cooling was great.

so this should be a decent motor for a 'sport' boat? What plug should i run, and what carb w/ remote needle?

OPS 65( early 80's) but can't remember to see one will steel flywheel,only brass.

Gill
it came with 2 brass flywheels, not sure if one was an original or not?

I used to run Rossi4 and 5 at that time with a Perry carb but you can use MCoy9 plug and try an Os carb.The best part of OPS is that they still produce and carry lot of parts even for this old good stuff.

Good luck

Gill

I have a NIB case like this one if you want it for $10 shipped. Let me know.

Curt

It came with brass flywheel. I put an OS Max 7B carb on it with remote 3rd channel needle & it ran beautifully. 7B Carbs are not made anymore but Tower still sells a 9B which can be madea to fit. Carb is a little pricey but if you put an OPS 67 piston & sleeve in it you will be highly competitive with the best of them out there

you'll be happy with that motor for sport. They are solid and reliable. A McCoy 9 will do just fine and you won't need high nitro. You can use 40% and it'll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
It came with brass flywheel. I put an OS Max 7B carb on it with remote 3rd channel needle & it ran beautifully. 7B Carbs are not made anymore but Tower still sells a 9B which can be madea to fit. Carb is a little pricey but if you put an OPS 67 piston & sleeve in it you will be highly competitive with the best of them out there
thanks for the info. Yea that carb is a bit pricey, but i supose ill change. Looking at the carb that came on this, i dont think i will be able to kill the motor without putting my finger over the carb or it running out of gas. (with it all the way "closed", it still has more of an opening then the "idle" point for my K&B67. :blink: ) Is this normal for this carb?

I already ordered a new 67 P/S and rod for backup.. but this thing is real real tight at the top so i hope it will last for quite a while.

you'll be happy with that motor for sport. They are solid and reliable. A McCoy 9 will do just fine and you won't need high nitro. You can use 40% and it'll be fine.
thats good to know since i already have 40% here im using in the K&B :)

I have a kinda stupid question i guess, but is the threaded shaft that you screw the collet on the same in this motor as the newer 65/80's?

collets_small.jpg

this is the style im already using on the K&B, and AeromarineRC sells it for the 65/80.. just wanna make sure its the same thread..

it was great coming home after 5 months (on a race team that travels the Fun Ford Weekend series) and seeing this motor sitting there waiting to be run :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back