I wonder if Mr. Picco runs modified engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at a stock Mac 84 .......until Andy included all the trick stuff they have into a STOCK motor
I have no doubt that Andy has included all the trick stuff into a Mac and I have no doubt about the effectivenss of these "trick mods". I also have no doubt that other manfacturers like Picco. CMB etc are not holding back (for part failure concern) and try to come up with more power with each generation. That is exactly my point. Why modify a perfectly good stock engine when the manufacturer has already designed in what they considered the optimal settings?

I believe there is more to be gained by proper set up, blue print, check clearance, bearing fit, tuned pipe and prop etc. as already mentioned in some of the replies.

If an engine does not have enough exhaust timing to work well with certain pipe, raising the timing will help. However, I would not give up ease of tuning and consistency to get a couple of hundred RPM in return by extreme timing and pay a penality in finicky needles.

Another example: I bought a used Rod G carb a while ago. The seller thought he could improve on the design and modified it...you can guess the rest.

kez

I know the example I posted was a little extreme to say the least- but you would be amazed how well this motor idles and is SO easy on plugs and needle settings

on 45% to boot ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kez,

I guess it also depends what your goal is too.

There is room for improvement in every motor. If there wasn't, what would the manufacturer do to improve the motor next time?

We're just making it better sooner ;)

The factory also learns from the improvements done by individuals. I've seen plenty of changes on new motors that were mods years earlier

I can guarantee that NONE of the 21 motors holding SAW records were stock from the factory.

When building SAW motors, every little bit helps, including opening up and ramping cranks. The people who know what they're doing, properly remove material equally from opposite ends of the crank to help maintain balance.

If you ever had an opportunity to run one of Frank Orlics Novarossi motors, you would have never started this post.

Franks motors hold a bunch of records including OBs. Franks sleeve work is like A.R.T.

Novarossi builds some nice motors, but they couldn't hold a candle to the power Frank squeezes out of the same motors.

It was proven at a recent record trials, the sealed factory Novarossi race motor just couldn't cut it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kez,
I guess it also depends what your goal is too.

There is room for improvement in every motor. If there wasn't, what would the manufacturer do to improve the motor next time?

We're just making it better sooner ;)

The factory also learns from the improvements done by individuals. I've seen plenty of changes on new motors that were mods years earlier

I can guarantee that NONE of the 21 motors holding SAW records were stock from the factory.

When building SAW motors, every little bit helps, including opening up and ramping cranks. The people who know what they're doing, properly remove material equally from opposite ends of the crank to help maintain balance.

If you ever had an opportunity to run one of Frank Orlics Novarossi motors, you would have never started this post.

Franks motors hold a bunch of records including OBs. Franks sleeve work is like A.R.T.

Novarossi builds some nice motors, but they couldn't hold a candle to the power Frank squeezes out of the same motors.

It was proven at a recent record trials, the sealed factory Novarossi race motor just couldn't cut it.
i witnessed this yesterday after chris and i had a great day testing my blackbird ..getting it dialed in as best we could, i have a stock nova rossi 5 port in it and ill tell you this , it would barely pull what chris would call a break in prop..lol , chris had steve on the phone and he said to try this and that to crutch it and so we did..and before i knew it it was pulling a little bigger wheel , but final and bottom line is..i run this same motor in both my sport 20 and my 20 hydro , and they are both headed to burlington iowa monday morning for improvement, if yo can pull a bigger prop and keep the hop down , you "will" go faster. if you dont want to mod the motors atleast work on the head clearence and have someone make you a button that has the right volume you need , i am impressed to say the least in my blackbird that chris and his dad build and when i get some more power ..look out..lol

tk

The picco 60 that is being used in the tether cars is slightly different to the one that most are familary with in the 65/67 marine motors. As they us a two piece rear housing with a zimmerman valve as apposed to the more common drum valve. piston and liners are also different regarding timing, Stock exhaust is around 190degrees with 3 exhaust ports. I believe that they are raising this to 196-200degrees and transfer timing to 136-140degrees and said to be reving to around 30,000rpm at 215mph on straight methanol/oil no nitro aloud. I was also told by a friend that competes at the same competitions as Mr Picco that he fits a new piston to the liner every 2 or 3 runs by lapping the new piston each time to get the ultimate fit. Bearing in mind that he is trying to set a new world record every time he runs. We are using these same motors in tether hydros in the UK but 190 degrees is just to much on the exhaust just not enough torque and to narrow power band for 7.5inch pitch props. Needs to be 180degrees maximum for us on a 60 (10cc). Best regards Martin.

Back