How many are Crossover members

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many IMPBA/NAMBA members are also AMA members

• Total voters

Greg Hahn

Please help be with a rough number of how many crossover members are in the hobby.

Memebers of IMPBA/NAMBA/Other Boating Organizations and also members of the AMA.

The reason for the poll is for me to acertain a number from the boating community. In a recent Poll of AMA members we found that aprox 26% of AMA members also particpate in or own Boats and or equipment. To the AMA that's quite a big number and should let us as know that the interest in boating is there and it wouldn't take that much effort to bring many of those on the fringes into our boating fold and increase our active numbers.

Please help be with a rough number of how many crossover members are in the hobby.

Memebers of IMPBA/NAMBA/Other Boating Organizations and also members of the AMA.

The reason for the poll is for me to acertain a number from the boating community. In a recent Poll of AMA members we found that aprox 26% of AMA members also particpate in or own Boats and or equipment. To the AMA that's quite a big number and should let us as know that the interest in boating is there and it wouldn't take that much effort to bring many of those on the fringes into our boating fold and increase our active numbers.
WOO HOO I was first to vote.

Greg, being honest I got into boating cause I crashed all my planes. Way back in the day I flew mostly control line. When I retired, I was in Dick Tyndall shop and looked at all the planes hanging from the ceiling so I rejoined AMA. Dicky says he has a 40 trainer for me to play with when I move. ;)

Just as an FYI that 26% i was talking about in the original post is 35,000 people!

I think a little collaborative effort could go a long long way in bolstering boating numbers. There are a bunch of fliers out there with a boat in the shop. If you have a flying club in your area or town, a joint event or outing or mall show just might get some of those "closet" boaters out to the pond or at least get them talking and boost interest.

if we could capture just one percent of that interest................................see where i'm going with this?

gh

Ray,

you could always put floats on that 40 trainer and you''d feel right at home!

:p

Just as an FYI that 26% i was talking about in the original post is 35,000 people!

I think a little collaborative effort could go a long long way in bolstering boating numbers. There are a bunch of fliers out there with a boat in the shop. If you have a flying club in your area or town, a joint event or outing or mall show just might get some of those "closet" boaters out to the pond or at least get them talking and boost interest.

if we could capture just one percent of that interest................................see where i'm going with this?

gh

Ray,

you could always put floats on that 40 trainer and you''d feel right at home!

:p
Last year at Hobart we had a bunch of electric fliers put on a show, landing on the lake. Pretty cool stuff. B)

This is a good idea, however, are AMA members covered under our IMPBA insurance? There needs to be a way to get new boaters in without having to pay $60 for an annual membership to "try it out".

There was a big discussion a few years back when the new AMA HQ was built as supposedly there is a pond onsite. I remember donating some money through the IMPBA to help out as it was being looked at as a possible centrally located site to hold the Internat's. That deal fell through (power struggle or whatever went on at the time) and plans fell through. Donated dollars went elsewhere. The AMA wanted IMPBA members to also pay for their membership plus an extra amount for their specialty class or whatever they called it at the time. Also the idea at the time was to do a joint venture with them to get a lower insurance rate.

This is a good idea, however, are AMA members covered under our IMPBA insurance? There needs to be a way to get new boaters in without having to pay $60 for an annual membership to "try it out".
I don’t think Greg is suggesting we all become AMA members.. At least that’s not what Im getting.. Looks to me what he is doing is trying to get the AMA to see how large RC boating is and how many "Do" cross over.. IF.. the numbers are good I BET.. the AMA "pond" will become a viable pond for the IMPBA to race on..

What does the AMA get in return.. maybe some more members.. Maybe some advertising in Model Aviation.. OK.. that’s good..

I for one know if you are a AMA member you are going to get "some" recognition from the AMA in the coming weeks.. and at NO COST TO THE RC BOATER.. NICE!

True.. its coming!

Grim

Guys and Gals,

Simply put I'm just assembling stats, numbers to me are just like bullets. There's no underlying reasons here other than for future planning purposes all positive.

I should have put another line in the poll to see how many are both Namba and Impba!

those orgainzations should be keepin or trying to get stats like that.

Sooner than later all RC Hobby organizations need to work together for the benefit of all. Strength in numbers!

gh

If anyone is replying to what I typed, don't try to read too much out of it.

I had an AMA membership many moon ago, probably been a good 30 years or better.

I am a AMA member and have been for over 20 years. I have been a IMPBA member for like 5 years.

There was a big discussion a few years back when the new AMA HQ was built as supposedly there is a pond onsite. I remember donating some money through the IMPBA to help out as it was being looked at as a possible centrally located site to hold the Internat's. That deal fell through (power struggle or whatever went on at the time) and plans fell through. Donated dollars went elsewhere. The AMA wanted IMPBA members to also pay for their membership plus an extra amount for their specialty class or whatever they called it at the time. Also the idea at the time was to do a joint venture with them to get a lower insurance rate.
i also pumped $$ into this(pond fund). i have an ama # , but have not paid for years

I started with AMA and switched over to boats way back in the day as well. Taking off, performing maneuvers, and landing was starting to get old. I switched to boats as the only head to head competition I could find was pylon racing, and not many people on the East Coast were doing this at the time. That may have changed as of today. I remember attending the AMA Nationals one year and two things stand out. watching the scales, especially a P51 Mustang zig zag out to the runway just like the real ones did back in the day (the plane would taxi at such a sharp angle that the nose of the plane blocked the pilots vision of the runway requiring them to zig zag to see where they were going), and perform a flawless flight that caught everyones attention, and walking up to an older man selling engines out of his van, only to find out it was Duke Fox, the creator and builder for Fox engines. He was setting up a tent outside of a control line event, the market where most of his engines were sold at the time. We had a nice long chat about engines and nitro performance mods that still work today....... ;) He passed away in the early 90's and his step-son runs the company today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started out in W.A.M. on the west coat flying of all things A and Jet speed. (go figure), then joined AMA (still a member), then got into boating.

Been between IMPBA and NAMBA depending on where we were stationed at the time. I was even a Britsh Model member for when we were stationed in England as well

as being a member of the Britsh model boating assosiation. Oh, before I forget, I was also on the German Hydro Team back in 1986 at the first Hydro world championchips held in Ostiglia Italy. (took 5th place due to the low speed needle falling out of my CMB 90's slide valve carb.)

So, am I a cross over member, heck yeah. from all over the place. :D

Latest posts

Back