How long will it last?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
Thanks to Terminator, im gettin ready to stick an O.S. .18 CVRM in my Miss Vegas....What i was wondering though is how many gallons of fuel is everyone gettin with thier Aquacraft .18 motors before they go BOOM?? One? Two? Ive got 18 heats plus maybe 3 tanks of fuel on mine so far, so im guessing ive run maybe a gallon through it... still running great to this point.I have 2 more races to run it in this year,so i figured id use it for a spare unless i blow it up in the mean time after i get my CVRM from Terry....Like i said, I was just wondering!! Thanks, Bill

3 gallons in mine before I cooked a bearing and the P/L, but that was my fault (too lean, all day).

Dan.

Thanks to Terminator, im gettin ready to stick an O.S. .18 CVRM in my Miss Vegas....What i was wondering though is how many gallons of fuel is everyone gettin with thier Aquacraft .18 motors before they go BOOM?? One? Two? Ive got 18 heats plus maybe 3 tanks of fuel on mine so far, so im guessing ive run maybe a gallon through it... still running great to this point.I have 2 more races to run it in this year,so i figured id use it for a spare unless i blow it up in the mean time after i get my CVRM from Terry....Like i said, I was just wondering!! Thanks, Bill
Bill

Prevent the inevitable. Have you done a teardown on it yet. Look for big end problems, slop in rod to pin, etc. Are the bearings phenolic type retainers, or steel caged. Bearings and rod save the big bang from happening. It looked of sound mind and body on Sunday, The salvation of my NR has always been teardown and examine, look for it, don't let it find you..............Thanks for a fun weekend....

Randy

Bill - Hello Mr 1st Place - Your engine will last as long as you take care of her. Even more so since you got rid of the one way bearing and the pull starter - just run the nitro out at the end of the day like you normally would do, and OVERKILL It with the after-run oil - I broke a rod in my 1st cvrm engine when I left the fuel sit in the motor, it destroyed the the back bearing, which took out the rod, so far no trouble with the new motor, knock on wood, 4 gals of 40% - But I Don't use the juice you do - P.S. Found some more speed - Can't wait to race you guys again, Noel

Most of the time, we are running right on the edge of too lean. Big difference in speed with a quarter turn of the needle in the MV. Anyhow, back to your question, most of the AQ engines I have had give up (under the conditions we run them in), probably averaged 1 to 2 gallons of fuel. I have had them where they never ran correctly out of the box, and broke a rod within a quart or two...and I have had them last a couple gallons. What I have noticed, is that when you have to start making it richer to run right, it is about done...it will give out soon.

Think about the amount of tanks run through the boat...the tank is about 6 ounces (at least that is my understanding)...most of the time it comes back, it probably has 1 to 2 ounces left in it. So it burns 4.5 ounces during the average run. There is 128 ounces in a gallon. So you would run the boat over 28 times to burn up a gallon of fuel.

Just my 2 cents.

Sean

PS...on a side note...last year I ran a lot of Odonnells and Side winder fuel. This year I ran mostly Red Max. Other than the CVRM that had a bearing let loose this year, I have not killed any other engines (yet).

Last edited by a moderator:
hey, bill, i thought you were a big k&b fan (like me :D ), you do know they make a .18 marine engine, don't you? was on special recently, may still be......

still on special, $89, in stock ;) .
Our experience with the K&B 18 showed it didn't perform as well as the AQ 18 which sells for $85. Now, maybe someone else has experienced better results with the K&B 18. The biggest issue I've experienced with the AQ 18 is crankshafts breaking. I just carry a couple of spare cranks with me.

JD

thanx for the info, jd. i was more poking fun at bill, being that he likes .21 k&b's - a lot. kinda figured if the .18 was worth a flip, we'd have seen more of them around.

Bill

Prevent the inevitable. Have you done a teardown on it yet. Look for big end problems, slop in rod to pin, etc. Are the bearings phenolic type retainers, or steel caged. Bearings and rod save the big bang from happening. It looked of sound mind and body on Sunday, The salvation of my NR has always been teardown and examine, look for it, don't let it find you..............Thanks for a fun weekend....

Randy
Randy, you are without a doubt, the ULTIMATE CD/ announcer...didnt get a chance to tell you what a great job you did (as usual)...oh yeah and you also tend to have some pretty **** fast boats when you have time to run em!! thanks for the input, Bill

Bill - Hello Mr 1st Place - Your engine will last as long as you take care of her. Even more so since you got rid of the one way bearing and the pull starter - just run the nitro out at the end of the day like you normally would do, and OVERKILL It with the after-run oil - I broke a rod in my 1st cvrm engine when I left the fuel sit in the motor, it destroyed the the back bearing, which took out the rod, so far no trouble with the new motor, knock on wood, 4 gals of 40% - But I Don't use the juice you do - P.S. Found some more speed - Can't wait to race you guys again, Noel

Thanks Noel, have you heard if orlando is going to have a two day race?? if so ,where? Bill

hey, bill, i thought you were a big k&b fan (like me :D ), you do know they make a .18 marine engine, don't you? was on special recently, may still be......
Why yes i am a bit of a K&B fan..(cause im cheap!) i simply could not find enough people that actually run the darn things to get any real input on how they run.....sure is a good price,though! Im glad im not the ONLY K&B fan, cause there doesnt appear to be to many of us out there, at least as far as inboards are concerned!! Bill

Thanks Noel, have you heard if orlando is going to have a two day race?? if so ,where? Bill
Bill,

Lake Richard, where they hold the Winternats, 528 (Beeline) to 436 (SEMORAN) North 1 mile

Why yes i am a bit of a K&B fan..(cause im cheap!) i simply could not find enough people that actually run the darn things to get any real input on how they run.....sure is a good price,though! Im glad im not the ONLY K&B fan, cause there doesnt appear to be to many of us out there, at least as far as inboards are concerned!! Bill
we're both cheap, er, i mean frugal :p . so far, i'm strictly k&b 3.5 ob's on tunnels, although i do have a 3.5 drum rotor motor waiting for a good hull to happen along cheap enough...................

we're both cheap, er, i mean frugal :p . so far, i'm strictly k&b 3.5 ob's on tunnels, although i do have a 3.5 drum rotor motor waiting for a good hull to happen along cheap enough...................
I dont know if youve run your drum rotor in anything yet, but when you do, you might be surprised at how decent they run....they are not a MAC or a CMB, but for the money they run pretty darn good!! The only issue that I have with the motor is getting a consistant needle.....im sure there is a fix for that...i just dont know what it is!! Have a great day, Bill

Latest posts

Back