Hooked bottom sponsons

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would only be useful if you were trying to suck the front of the boat to the water. AOA adjustment will do the same thing and not kill speed.

IMO it is not a good thing at all but hey you asked. ;)

-Buck-

The fastest planing surfaces are dead flat and smooth, with sharp edges. Anything else adds drag.

I am sure you guys knew this was coming...but the seaducer hull has a hook built into it. My understanding is that it is one of the fastest monos around.

Sean

Id think it depends on the hull...and what its being used for. My cat has a hook built in at the very edge of the last step in the sponsons. With this it allows me to set the boat up somewhat loose and it still flys nice and level in race water. I know someone with the same cat that has had the hook taken out and its a little faster but definetely not as stable.

are you asking about a hook along the entire hull, or at least most of the ride surface? a hook/tab built in the very last of the ride surface can be beneficial, similar to trim tabs.......,but a hook along the length of the hull would rob speed, stick the hull, and possibily cause stuffing, imo.

I believe you're right. Im more so talking about a rocker at the very edge.

i agree with you rigged. i had a hydrasports x-270 bass boat that had hooks/tabs built into the very tail/outer edges of the hull. kinda like little triangles, at the corners.nowhere near the 'pad', but that boat was way more stable at speed than other x-270's, that didn't have them......

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tested both. One with a hook the length of the whole boat. It seems more stable all around but, maybe a little slower... Hard to tell really running one at a time.

Latest posts

Back