Holy Grail Carb

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Foley

Supporting Member
Lets hear everyones opinions on the Holy Grail of carbs . I think that anyone that has been using stock carbs for a while as well as some great carbs over the years has an opinion on this that may help a common desire for a fantastic carb .

Personally for me the best carbs i have encountered that did not have to be modified were the MAC 84 .550 carbs . solid billet housing and bolt on deal . Next would be the old CMB cast bolt ons that came with the EVO 90's . Next on the list of those that had to be modified would be the VAC 91 Carb that had to be modified to rotary operation due due thee weight of the barrlel hammering the screw that controlled the articulation of the barrel in and out . Let's hear it guys .

Last edited by a moderator:
O.S. 9B for 1/8th scale boats. Absolute best carb in that application.
default_smile.png

Back in the day RPM made some great carbs. My sound funny but the OPS slide barrel work well for me, only problem was the bell linkage and the draw bar on most engines.
default_cool.png

Like everything in life,K.I.S.S. Carb body, Barrel, Spray bar,and Barbed tube for the fuel line coming in. MAC's are a good XXX-ample. We still run the old 67 Picco carb on our 45's,Picco 90 on our 67's. Hard to beat them...

I like the looks of the KRE carb's. Have a couple KRE's coming for a project we are working on for the Fall Nat's.

I never got to try one but the carbs Karl Brey made looked awesome way back when. Never seen one run but I liked the concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I never got to try one but the carbs Karl Brey made looked awesome way back when. Never seen one run but I liked the concept.

Yup, the spray ring instead of the bar was different. He had a mini machine shop setup under a tent at the 95 Winter Nats in Fl. Had a crowd of onlookers for sure.
default_cool.png

Yup, the spray ring instead of the bar was different. He had a mini machine shop setup under a tent at the 95 Winter Nats in Fl. Had a crowd of onlookers for sure.
default_cool.png
I have one of Carl's carbs for my .21 K&B's. The annual discharge ring at the bottom of the intake bell atomizes fuel MUCH better than a spray bar. Finer droplets, better distribution in the intake charge & you can burn more fuel because of it (-;!! Interesting note, the discharge ring is above/in front of the throttle barrel not in it like a spray bar. Also has a very nice fuel metering block with needle, mounted on the side of the carb. It acts just like a remote manual needle, meters the fuel before it ever enters the carb. Given the size of a .21 carb, the precision of the machining, the amount of work to fit it all in - this thing is a little piece of jewellery.

But, the original question is SSOOOO EZ, I just want a carb that is faster than your's - LOL!

Robin I have a CB but the spray ring is in the rotating barrel.

Can you show a pic of the carb you are talking about?

I have the tool from Carl you use to pop out the brass spray ring to allow insertion of different size rings. Brilliant design by Cee Bee Marine many years ago. We usually used blue loctite to hold the ring in place as insurance as it was already a press fit.

Here is some thing I have bin tossing around now for some time.

The inserts are from BLP here in Orlando. Thy are replicable inserts for 1150 Dominator boosters.

Thy are blank undrilled so any sizing can be done as needed for the fuel flow.

The black one is .500 and the purple one is .600

Have tossed this around about how to do it. Then a light went off when Robin said he has a CB with the venture in front of the barrel.

Nixed the barrel and just use a shaft and butter fly like the gas carbs have.

Will be a big carb for sure.

DSCN3117.JPG

DSCN3118.JPG

The best carbs in my opinion were Mac. The were well thought out.

The CB carbs would be great if we ran a fuel pump. But our carbs also have to be able to draw fuel. Bolt on carbs are a no brainer.

Danny

A 17mm / .670 butter fly will flow more than enough. The venture will be .600

The booster venture is designed to draw the fuel with the step it has made into it.

Yes the MAC .550 is my favorite stock carb.

You ever run that monster I sold you???????????????

DSCN3119.JPG

Robin I have a CB but the spray ring is in the rotating barrel.

Can you show a pic of the carb you are talking about?
here are two original Carl Brey (Cee Bee Marine) carbs he built for me back in 1988. One is for the popular Picco P67R (mounted to back-plate). The other is for the Rossi .65/.80 Marine drum-valve engines- it has custom venturi inlet to allow variable length injector trumpet.

CBMarine_JetRingCarb_Picco-P67R_Circa1988_02.jpg

CBMarine_JetRingCarb_Picco-P67R_Circa1988_01.jpg

CBMarine_JetRingCarb_Picco-P67R_Circa1988_03.jpg

CBMarine_JetRingCarb_Picco-P67R_Circa1988_04.jpg

CeeBeeMarine_JetRing,Carb_Rossi-.65,.80MarineDV_08.jpg

CeeBeeMarine_JetRing,Carb_Rossi-.65,.80MarineDV_02.jpg

CeeBeeMarine_JetRing,Carb_Rossi-.65,.80MarineDV_04.jpg

I have the tool from Carl you use to pop out the brass spray ring to allow insertion of different size rings. Brilliant design by Cee Bee Marine many years ago. We usually used blue loctite to hold the ring in place as insurance as it was already a press fit.
I could use one of those tools (I believe pretty simple machined piece?)

Back