hi need a lathe and mill

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as it states i am looking for a lathe and mill for a good price . what size are you all useing.

thanks

junior
You're probably gonna get a lot of different answers-but you usually get what you pay for. Accuracy cost$$$$$$$$$. I use a 1961 South Bend 13" lathe. A decent mill for the price would probably be a Enco Bridgeport copy.

I have a Grizzly lathe 10x22 and love it.Go to Grizzly.com and you will find what you are looking for at a good price.

Dave Roach

I bought a Micromark mini mill a few years ago, and after a few tweaks, have found nothing I do that it won't. When I decided to get a lathe, I spent several hours at the minilathe.com page looking for info. I ended up with a HF 7x8 that I found close by on ebay. Then, knowing I was going to upgrade it, went to Littlemachineshop.com for all my upgrades and tooling.

Mike

Grizzly has some nice machines at a good price. I am looking at the G0619 6"X21" Mill. Has V slides instead of the typical post seen on some of these Drill / mill machines.

For the lathe I am looking at the G4003 12"X36" (or12"X24") or they have a nice South Bend SB1001 8"X18". The SB is a bit expensive and smaller than the G4003.

Either way for what we do these machines would do the job.

Albert

your intended use of what your going to be doing on them remains the biggest question that you can answer for your self?

so its just parts for your boats ?

are going to build live steam trains?

model engineering engines etc?

clocks?

the machinery i have and use 12 x 36 lathe geared head gapbed.

the other lathe is 10x 30 with 2500 rpm for fine work & 2 nd setups

the mill is rf 45 geared head table 28'' x 8".

the right choice form the start is the best choice.

I bought a used Sherline mill a few years back and found that it can do MOST of what I need though it's a real test of creative thinking on some projects. In the same deal, I got a NIB Sherline 3X8 lathe. Again, it's good for most hobby projects but I've found that the longer 17" bed lathe would be much more user friendly as would the larger mills Sherline sells

Back