Help me identify this .21 Rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard Hogan

I bought this rigger the other day and it still has some work left to complete it. I have searched the internet looking at countless pictures but haven't been able to find one exactly like it. I would like to be able to find build instructions and setup tips if possible. Also any other helpful comments would be appreciated.

Edited: I have added some more pics. I bought this rigger from a guy here in Salt Lake City, he didn't know who madeit It didn't come with the tuned pipe shown in the picture, I will buy an appropriate tuned pipe later. The tub is 29-1/2" long so overall length is 30". The engine is a O.S. .21 RG-M. It appears to me to be a quality build with stuffing tube and water cooling line installed. It also has a custom fuel tank. The turn fin is something I need to get figured out, see the pic, it looks like I will need to mount an arm that hangs off the back of the sponson to mount the turn fin on. Also the other hardware is Speedmaster, looks like I will need to cut some of the rudder mounting bracket off to get it to fit, is this common or should I look for another rudder? How far should the rudder hang below the rear sponsons? Lastly, the front sponsons are not glued on to the tubes yet, most riggers I see have a larger tube mounted in the tub and the tubes from the sponsons fitted inside them. Thanks for the help so far and keep the responses coming.

1671341-1381533933-99227.jpg

WP_000144.jpg

WP_000146.jpg

WP_000147.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Look Like Custom JAP 21 rigger from Japan but can't see style turn fin??

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks kinda like an eagle inspired scratch built hull. Either way it looks nice. Throw a basic setup at it and see what it does.

I would put it on a setup table, set the angle of the tub neutral (rear shoes sitting on table). Set the front sponson angles to around 3 degrees on both sides. Give the right front around a 1/4 degree more than the left. After the sponsons are set drop the strut till it's sitting on the setup table with about 1.5 degrees negative angle. Set the bends in the turn fin parallel with the setup board and make sure your rudder angle is perpendicular to it. Throw a 1445 on it and go from there. Oh... And set that pipe length to 8-1/4 and work your way shorter as you get the boat closer.

Good luck.

Brian

1445 Wont work on it if you run it in Salt Lake City. Too much prop for that elevation. Start @ 8-3/4" to 9" on the pipe at that elevation.

You can call me with question if you plan on running at any elevation above 4000 feet.

Send me a PM and I will send you my contact info. There is a good club over in that area and I can get you in contact with a few guys that run .21 riggers over there.

Robert Holland

Latest posts

Back