HELP! I think I ruined an engine.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcboatlover

I bought a used engine off E-Bay and it came really dirty. I was going to put it in a crock pot of antifreeze but I thought I found a better way. I bought a product made by Prestone to clean the cooling system on your car, and filled my crock pot with it. I plugged it in and let the engine parts sit in it for a day. When I pulled the parts out they had a hard black film all over them. I tried to clean it off with water, but it diden't budge. Next try was to put it back in the crock pot but with antifreeze this time! Some of it came off the engine case but that was it. Any ideas on what I can use to clean it off ?????

Yes I know I should have tested a small piece first! I'm still kicking my self! :angry:

Dale P.

Ok I only know of 2 ways. A dremel with a carburater cleaning pad and a small thermo nuclear device. Other than that I don't have an idea. Nor do have any idea as to what this black stuff is.

Dale, is there anyone around you that sells Amsoil products? If not, I am a dealer for them. They make a product for cleaning engine parts and if it did not work on that I would be suprised. I will be glad to send you some if you cannot find it. My e mail is [email protected] By the way, where are you? I am in Dist.13

Mark

ROTMFLOL... :lol: :lol:

That is too funny, I'm not laughing at you but man that's funny. What type of motor was this???

What you could have done, well the next time you get a dirty motor. Denatured Alcohol works great. Just keep douching it for as long as neccessary.

Want to be braver?? Brake cleaner or Electrical cleaner works great. Simply grease the bearings after.

[SIZE=14pt]Good Luck![/SIZE]

I use carb cleaner and compressed air.......I spray until it's clean, or I forget my name
dunno.gif

whichever comes first :D

Sounds to like the black stuff is aluminium corrosion. I once tried oven cleaner on an aluminium pan ( yes I cook and sometimes things get burned) and the whole pan was covered in black. I only could get it off with #400 wet sanding paper.

Julius

Like I shid the black stuff is starting to come off in one place, but it's in large flakes. Yeah I think it's aluminium corrosion too, but the flakes seem to be pretty thick! It just seams kinda funny that the cleaner I used was to be put in aluminium radiators! Wouldn't that leave the same residue in the radiator and aluminium engine head?

"I only could get it off with #400 wet sanding paper."

What is that going to do to the pistion? :eek:

"What type of motor was this???"

A rare OS .40 four stroke marine engine! :(

Mark I will try some Amsoil cleaner if the next method doesn't work. How much does the stuff cost?

Thanks for letting me share my pain with you guys!

Dale P.

The Amsoil product is called Power Foam. Comes in an 18 oz. spray can and sells for about 6 to 8 bucks a can depending on the dealer.

Mark

I would not recommend sanding the piston, I think it will take away too much material. May be try a household sandingpad, for doing the dishes, it's not as destructive as sanding paper. If that doesn'twork you canalways try other means.

Julius

Yeah I was only kidding about the pistion. ;)

I have is soaking in break cleaner and it is starting to come off in some spots. I might have to give the Amsoil product a try.

Mark - I'm pretty sure there is a dealer in my area, but if not you will be the first to know. I would buy it from you with out checking, but I hate paying shipping when I don't have to .

Thanks, Dale P.

Prestone Super Radiator Cleaner was the name of the product.

I figured that alot of guys use hot antifreeze to clean their engines, so why not try something made to clean the system that antifreeze is normaly used in. :wacko:

I don't know it sounded good at the time! :lol:

Dale P.

It will come off in an Ultrasonic cleaner if you use dish washing powder and water. I've seen this same thing when someone put an aluminum carb in Scrub Free which is an acid. I took it to work and put in in our Ultrasonic cleaner and it came off.

I'd bet the piston fit is gone though.

I think Harbor Freight sells Ultrasonic cleaners. Ill have to check them out. I always wanted one any way! The pistion has a ring and doesn't look too bad. It might still have a good fit. <_< Thankfully I diden't put the pistion sleve in too.

CySlide - The product was to be heated.

It said to drain the radiator and fill it with the cleaner and water. Then run the engine for awhile and drain it. Replace with water and run the engine again. After that it said to drain the system again and fill it with antifreeze.

Maby I mixed it too strong. I mixed it 100% cleaner and 0% water. :rolleyes:

i wonder if you ran it again with the right amount of water what would happen?

Them radiator flush componds are meant to be deluted.

Its what a PINT and you are adding it to basicly 2-4 gals of coolant. You know the "coolant" is broken down into water and antifreeze.

what happens if you heat up antifreeze and let the motor sit in there?

Tom

I've never gone and bought an ultra sonic cleaner. But, I did buy a Jewelry cleaner at a garage sale for $1.oo. It is an awesome tool to douche parts out in.

"What happens if you heat up antifreeze and let the motor sit in there?"

I tried that first.  I drained the cleaner out of the crock pot and filled it again with antifreeze.  The gunk diden't budge.  It's sitting in brake cleaner right now and the stuff is slowly comming off.  The con rod, crank shaft and cam shaft is already clean.  Looks like the engine case and head are going to take alittle more work.  Your right the cleaner was meant to be deluted.  One pint and fill the rest with water.  I diden't think about that when I poured it in to the crock pot. 

"I wonder if you ran it again with the right amount of water what would happen?"

I'm wondering what would happen if I tried to boil it in a pot of water.

Thanks for the ideas....

Dale P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back