Hallam Marine Hobby

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PHM Racing

Hallam Marine Hobby

NOT SO GOOD

I purchased two CMB 80 RS motors from Mike Hallem at his race on September 11, 2005. I put one of the motors in my single 80 boat to break it in. The motor would not turn over with my 24V starter. It wouldn’t even turn over fast enough to start with the plug out. The piston and sleeve fit was that tight. I told Mike what had happened and he came over to look and said wow he couldn’t believe how tight it was. He said to give him the motor and he would have it checked out. That evening I tore down the second motor in the motel room. Everything seemed to be okay except for one thing. Both pistons were different. One had the skirt cut and the other didn’t. I put the motor in the boat and went to run the boat on Sunday (Race Day). When E/F Hydro was called we took the boat down to the hot pits. I fired the motor; it started like a dream but stopped quickly. I tried to start it again and it wouldn’t even turn over. I took the plug out and tried to turn it over. It wouldn’t turn. So I took the boat over to my pit area and pulled the motor out. I finally got it to turn over with a wrench on the collet. I took it over and showed Mike, he figured it was the bearings and to give him that motor too to have it checked out. I took it back and pulled the flywheel off and there was aluminium filings every where. The flywheel drove itself back into the engine block. This more than likely took the bearings out. I told Mike I wasn’t happy with the motors and he said that he would have them repaired. These are two brand new motors. I told Mike that I did not want them and that I wanted two new motors or my money back. He told me that these motors are used now and that he couldn’t take them back but he would repair them and send them back to me in two weeks. I got the motors back in five weeks from the third party. I put the motors in my twin and fired the starboard motor and set it up. I shut it down and then started the port side motor and set it up. The port side motor had a little vibration to it . Then I let the motors cool down for about thirty minutes while I helped my buddy with his boat. Then we went back to the twin and fired the motors. I went to launch the boat and the port side motor stalled. So we re-fired the motors, picked the boat up off the stand and the port side motor stalled again. So then we fueled the boat and let it cool down. Once it was cool, we fired the port side motor first. It was vibrating really bad and making a hell of a noise. I shut the motor down right away. I pulled the plug out of the motor and spun the motor over with my finger on the prop. There was no compression and it had a clunk to it. I packed the motors up and sent them back to Mike Hallem and told him what had happened and that this time I wanted my money back ($1000+). He checked the motor out when he got them and told me that the fuel I was using had no oil in it. I bought the fuel from him 50% Red Max fuel and said to him why one motor would be okay and the other burn up. He told me that there was nothing he could do for me. THESE ARE TWO BRAND NEW REPAIRED 80 RS MOTORS THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN IN THE WATER YET!! He sent them back to me.

I asked Mike why he replaced a motor for Brian Blazzer and he didn’t even buy it from Hallam Marine Hobby and mine was bought from him. He told me that CMB was standing behind him on that or he wouldn’t have done anything for him.

Today I was talking to Tidewater and told them what had happened with these motors. They took care of me right on the spot without CMB backing and without me buying the motors from them. Tidewater is number one in my books. I would like to thank every one from Tidewater.

SO BEWARE OF BUYTING MOTORS FROM HALLAM MARINE HOBBY. THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE OR SUPPORT. YOU MAY GET STUNG TOO!!

This shouldn’t have even gone this far these motors should have been sent back to CMB and I should have gotten two new motors or my money back. I will never deal with Hallam Marine ever again. I would hate to see any one go through what I have.

BUYERS BEWARE!!!!!

Hallam Marine Hobby NOT SO GOOD

I purchased two CMB 80 RS motors from Mike Hallem at his race on September 11, 2005. I put one of the motors in my single 80 boat to break it in. The motor would not turn over with my 24V starter. It wouldn't even turn over fast enough to start with the plug out. The piston and sleeve fit was that tight. I told Mike what had happened and he came over to look and said wow he couldn't believe how tight it was. He said to give him the motor and he would have it checked out. That evening I tore down the second motor in the motel room. Everything seemed to be okay except for one thing. Both pistons were different. One had the skirt cut and the other didn't. I put the motor in the boat and went to run the boat on Sunday (Race Day). When E/F Hydro was called we took the boat down to the hot pits. I fired the motor; it started like a dream but stopped quickly. I tried to start it again and it wouldn't even turn over. I took the plug out and tried to turn it over. It wouldn't turn. So I took the boat over to my pit area and pulled the motor out. I finally got it to turn over with a wrench on the collet. I took it over and showed Mike, he figured it was the bearings and to give him that motor too to have it checked out. I took it back and pulled the flywheel off and there was aluminium filings every where. The flywheel drove itself back into the engine block. This more than likely took the bearings out. I told Mike I wasn't happy with the motors and he said that he would have them repaired. These are two brand new motors. I told Mike that I did not want them and that I wanted two new motors or my money back. He told me that these motors are used now and that he couldn't take them back but he would repair them and send them back to me in two weeks. I got the motors back in five weeks from the third party. I put the motors in my twin and fired the starboard motor and set it up. I shut it down and then started the port side motor and set it up. The port side motor had a little vibration to it . Then I let the motors cool down for about thirty minutes while I helped my buddy with his boat. Then we went back to the twin and fired the motors. I went to launch the boat and the port side motor stalled. So we re-fired the motors, picked the boat up off the stand and the port side motor stalled again. So then we fueled the boat and let it cool down. Once it was cool, we fired the port side motor first. It was vibrating really bad and making a hell of a noise. I shut the motor down right away. I pulled the plug out of the motor and spun the motor over with my finger on the prop. There was no compression and it had a clunk to it. I packed the motors up and sent them back to Mike Hallem and told him what had happened and that this time I wanted my money back ($1000+). He checked the motor out when he got them and told me that the fuel I was using had no oil in it. I bought the fuel from him 50% Red Max fuel and said to him why one motor would be okay and the other burn up. He told me that there was nothing he could do for me. THESE ARE TWO BRAND NEW REPAIRED 80 RS MOTORS THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN IN THE WATER YET!! He sent them back to me.

I asked Mike why he replaced a motor for Brian Blazzer and he didn't even buy it from Hallam Marine Hobby and mine was bought from him. He told me that CMB was standing behind him on that or he wouldn't have done anything for him.

Today I was talking to Tidewater and told them what had happened with these motors. They took care of me right on the spot without CMB backing and without me buying the motors from them. Tidewater is number one in my books. I would like to thank every one from Tidewater.

SO BEWARE OF BUYTING MOTORS FROM HALLAM MARINE HOBBY. THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE OR SUPPORT. YOU MAY GET STUNG TOO!!

This shouldn't have even gone this far these motors should have been sent back to CMB and I should have gotten two new motors or my money back. I will never deal with Hallam Marine ever again. I would hate to see any one go through what I have.

BUYERS BEWARE!!!!!
For the record, Mike Hallam has and always will be a stand up guy and you are the only person I've ever heard complain about his service. Did you ever think that turning over a bound up motor with a wrench may damage it?

Mikes been racing for a Long Long Time. He has seen plenty of problems.... With various engine mfgs. I personally would Not be afraid to purchase engines from Hallum.... He may Not get on here & get into a GREAT debate. But there has to be 2 sides of this Story?? Hallum is a legal Importer of CMB engines. He does not have to rely on someone else to resolve his problems.... Tidewater has had their share of BAD engine lots too...... it happens.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe. W. and Joe. K. I've had bad motor's from Tidewater and they took care of me every time.

I have spent alot of money with Mike and my racing partner has to it's not like it's my first buy from him a year ago i spent close to 5000.00 + another 1000.00 on this motor's and my partner has spent close to 3000.00 i thought he would have takin care of this problem in a better way.

Joe & Joe you send me 1000.00 and i will send you these motors and tell you there's nothing i can do for you and then you come on here and tell everybody that i'm a stnd up guy let me now when you are going to send me the money.

One of the motor boxs had been opened and when i took the motor out of the box there was a glow plug in the motor i would class that as a used motor that Mike sold to me but he sure wouldn't take them back.

And JOE i used the wrench to undo the collet and that's when the motor came loose enough to turn it over by hand

And Mike Hallam can come on here and tell his side of the story i hope he does i'd like to her it.

This isn't 50.00 or 100.00 were talking about it's 1000.00 that's not chump change to most.

Bad motors is not the point. Standing behind what you sell regardless of who you are is. Those motors were FUBAR from the get go, they didn't even get wet. I'm not taking sides but ask yourself this- why is it Tidewater will step in & help out & Mr. Hallam won't when he sold them & made the profit? If this were Joe Blow that nobody knew who sold the motors you all would be posting rippin' him a new a$$. <_<

WOW did you inspect the engines before you ran them?I know i would have specially in a twin.Sounds like one engine was different than the other?Im sure Hallam will read this post as theres alot at stakes here.I hate hearing about problems like this on a general forum.

Did Tidewater replace the engines with New or Ship you New parts? & have you received any of this stuff...

WOW did you inspect the engines before you ran them?I know i would have specially in a twin.Sounds like one engine was different than the other?Im sure Hallam will read this post as theres alot at stakes here.I hate hearing about problems like this on a general forum.
One motor was a 2004 and one was a 2005 (cut piston) I found this out with my .67's. And I always tear them down and inspect them befor they get installed (no matter witch brand they are)

Ralph

I have nothing but awesome things to say about Hallam Marine. I would use them over Tidewater anyday.

Brian
THE GOLDEN RULE"ALWAYS DISSASEMBLE AND CLEAN AND INSPECT ANY NEW MOTOR BEFORE RUNNING"Your talking about very close specs and if you ever had a new K/B which are fine motors youd know what kinda trash can hide in a motor. Id soak all the pieces in w/d pour it out and repeat before firing any new motor....Mike

One motor was a 2004 and one was a 2005 (cut piston) I found this out with my .67's. And I always tear them down and inspect them befor they get installed (no matter witch brand they are)

Ralph
This is one part of the story that does not sit well with me. The motors went back, were opened up & "supposedly" fixed, then sent back still with no mention that they were different when it was known at the original point of sale they were bought for a twin. <_<

And for all those so quick to pass judgement put yourself on the losing end of that $1000, especially after they supposedly "repaired"

Ralph
This is one part of the story that does not sit well with me. The motors went back, were opened up & "supposedly" fixed, then sent back still with no mention that they were different when it was known at the original point of sale they were bought for a twin. <_<

And for all those so quick to pass judgement put yourself on the losing end of that $1000, especially after they supposedly "repaired"
I wonder who did the repairs?but if he was running them in a twin he was doomed from the start with two different style motors

I wonder who did the repairs?but if he was running them in a twin he was doomed from the start with two different style motors
It is my understanding that Hallam did the repairs. He also supplied the fuel that supposedly had no oil in it. :blink:

I know there are always 2 sides to a story but I'm surprised by the lack of effort for a resolution & how it took another CMB vendor to step up & make it right. :huh:

:blink: I knew that good deal Mike Hallam Marine pretty good service. I bought CMB engines and always check up open inside any problem before start fire run because I read rule paper: CMB motori itlalia limited warrenty " it has no control whatsoever over how the engine will be operated, the percentage of nitromethane and percentage of lubricating oil that may be used in the engine, we must limit the warrenty to the following. The workmanship portion of CMB's warrenty will be 90 days from date of purchase providing the engines has not been taken apart or tempered with in any way whatsoever. The warrenty does not cover stripped threads or bolts which may have been damaged by over tightening. If the con rod, wrist pin, piston,sleeve,crankshaft,bearings,drum etc (i.e. internal moving parts)or glow plug should fail or prematurely wear out, the entire cost of all necessary servicing, replacement parts and return postage charges will be borne by the owner" I never forget that I remember that I was excite to buy MAC21 through Al Hobbs. I put it on boat and start fire and run. I seem funny it not property quit run short. I really mad and not happy with it so I decided to check up open inside what wrong. I found that piston was cracked near area pin . I phoned Al Hobbs that He said no cover warrenty because passed about over 3 months so I was not happy but Andy Brown gave me 40% discount off for replace parts. I really be happy that he help me Good service CMDI . I was mistake that learn in lesson FIRST CHECK OPEN BEFORE START.. next time!!! ;)

The first motor i ran i took the back housing off and the head buttoneverything seemed to be ok , I don't generaly turn my new motor's over by hand since it isn't a good thing to do.

I'm not a motor guy so i don't measure any of the parts and if i had to send every motor to a engine builder that would get very costly.

I put the other 80 RS in my 80 rigger and ran it today i ran it rich and long pipe it's working very well.

Know for the broken one i'm not happy about that , If Mike came good for that one either a new motor or my money back that would settle thing but he's made no attempts to contact us even when we sent the motor back to him he was to call us in 2 days we called him every day and on the 6th day we got a hold of him and that's when he told me he wouldn't do anything for me .

I'm sad to hear that for you Mike but this reminds me the same bad luck I had with my last two Picco 80 EXR engines that NEVER were replaced by the Us distributor after crankshafts pins failures during break in.Also had bought two Picco 90 Hydro for my Twin from Toys for Big boys and when I disassembed engines they were completely different (heads,pistons & timing) .....so What say about all that mess.

Gill

I'm sad to hear that for you Mike but this reminds me the same bad luck I had with my last two Picco 80 EXR engines that NEVER were replaced by the Us distributor after crankshafts pins failures during break in.Also had bought two Picco 90 Hydro for my Twin from Toys for Big boys and when I disassembed engines they were completely different (heads,pistons & timing) .....so What say about all that mess.Gill
I remember when Picco ground the crank wrong on the 67 EXR and made it illegal because the displacement was over the limit. What did they do? Nothing. Not even a discount on a new crank.

Well, this thread just saved me a bunch of money! I had my eye on a OS21XM outboard at a local hobby shop, they had it on the shelf for over 4 years, they finally just wanted it gone, so I got a real good deal, a steal in fact! Anyways I read this thread and decided that before starting the motor I would strip it down and clean everything, I found what appears to be 2 glo plug washers bent in half and were inside the motor. One was sitting on the piston and the other one was down in the crankcase. I looked very carefully and found NO marks or signs of damage on the piston, liner or in the crank case. That was a CLOSE call! Learned a very god lesson, clean and inspect before starting a new motor!

Doug

"The workmanship portion of CMB's warranty will be 90 days from date of purchase providing the engines has not been taken apart or tempered with in any way whatsoever."

The above seems to me to be an escape clause for CMB. Want to look inside to see if there is any shrapnel inside? OK, go ahead but we'll void the warranty! They're not the only ones who have this. Read the fine print that comes with a K&B. I'd bet that there are a lot more that don't want you to peek inside.

I'm not going to side with anyone here nor are my intentions to do so. Besides that, Mike Hallam is one big boy!

Next time buy a MAC motor instead. I broke a crank pin on a new motor after about four runs on it, called CMDi and let them know what happened. They sent a new crank and rod as it had been damaged as well. Was shipped priority and they wanted to know if they shouldsend a new P/L as well.

Now thats customer service.

Robert :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back