Greensboro, NC IMPBA race results

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piper_chuck

I'm opening this thread to make it easy to find the race results. I'll edit this post and add them here when I get time to type them up. Meanwhile, use this thread as a place to share your comments about the race. I think things went great, but what do I know? I'm sure Mike would love to hear everyone's thoughts and suggestions on how next year's could be even better.

My personal thanks to Mike Hemric for organizing the event, Mike Byer for countless runs in the retrieval boat, and Scott Norris for all his coaching and a few small, but critical parts that I had to replace. Note to self, jumping bouy 2 during milling is a bad idea. It was great to meet so many of the people I've seen online. I hope everyone got home safely. Looking forward to the next race...

All results should be here now. I cross checked the numbers, but I'm terrible with clerical work. If anyone sees something wrong, please send me a PM.

Race results:

B Mono (winner decided by runoff race):

1) Ryan Knight 750

2) Preston Hall 750

B Tunnel:

1) Chuck Gardiner 1600 (corrected)

2) Greg Mintz 600

B Hydro:

1) Preston Hall 1225

2) Mike Byer 1150

3) Ryan Knight 600 (corrected)

D Hydro:

1) Preston Hall 1225

2) Frank Sechrest 625

3) John Knight 400

F Hydro:

1) Don Ferrette 1450

2) John Stelzer 1225

3) Frank Sechrest 325

Open Mono:

1) Michael Hemric 825

2) Jeffrey Davis 725

3) Richard Strader 625

Open Offshore:

1) Tom Rollins 1400

2) Mike Tyson 1269

3) Steve Speas 1175

LSG Cat:

1) Steve Speas 1425

2) Mike Tyson 1300

3) Tom Rollins 1225

LSG Hydro:

1) Steve Speas 1100

2) John Stelzer 850

3) Frank Mintz 300

Crackerbox:

1) Mike Menter 1225

2) Larry Hibbert 1100

3) Frank Mintz 625

SLS Mono (winner decided by runoff race):

1) Tom Rollins 1200

2) Jeffrey Davis 1200

3) Frank Mintz 919

LSG Mono:

1) Mike Tyson 1600

2) Larry Hibbert 1125

3) Jarvis Newton 525

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, not trying to monopolize this thread, I guess I got some free time earlier than others. B Hydro looked like a good class. I sure wish my reflexes could handle a rigger. :(

I heard a rumor that one of the people who ran in that class made some investments in equipment in a couple of the other B classes. I wonder if B tunnel and B mono might start showing up in the PTPT club races?

piper_chuck said:
Hmm, not trying to monopolize this thread, I guess I got some free time earlier than others.  B Hydro looked like a good class.  I sure wish my reflexes could handle a rigger.  :(
I heard a rumor that one of the people who ran in that class made some investments in equipment in a couple of the other B classes.  I wonder if B tunnel and B mono might start showing up in the PTPT club races?

107468[/snapback]

Hey Chuck, I'm in for the B tunnel class. I live in Dunn and have been into the planes since I couldn't find anyone interested in the Tunnel class. Would really like to find some one to run with around the Raleigh area.

What is the PTPT Club? Piedmont Triad Prop Twisters?

Tunnelman said:
Hey Chuck, I'm in for the B tunnel class. I live in Dunn and have been into the planes since I couldn't find anyone interested in the Tunnel class.  Would really like to find some one to run with around the Raleigh area.
What is the PTPT Club? Piedmont Triad Prop Twisters?

107477[/snapback]

Hey Tunnelman, you got the name right. Here's the web site: http://www.geocities.com/icewizzard882002/

The next club race is Aug 7. If we could get one or two more to show up with B tunnels we'd probably be able to get it on the schedule.

The Twisters put on a pretty good race for their first time around. We discussed a few suggested improvements which I am sure they will work on and then this will be a top notch deal. There was a very nice driver's stand and the digital clock was pretty too. Somebody left the plug out of the drain so the water was a little low but no big deal. Hot and humid as could be!

A big round of applause to Mike Hemric. You could really see the stress setting in on him.

Also to Mike Byer who had another thankless job of retrieving all the dead wood. Thanks for lunch also Mike.

Dick Tyndall attended only to CD most of the race when he did not even bring a boat. What can you say?

And to Mrs. Hemric and her helpers, mmmmmmmmm GOOD! Hamburgers with all the fix'ns, slaw, fruit bowl, chips and drinks on Saturday. Sunday, pulled chicken BBQ, pork BBQ, slaw, baked beans, drinks, pound cake, brownies and rolls. Everything was good ol' home cook'n. With service like that Mike better watch his back because the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. She don't look too bad either. ;)

The raffles were fixed..................... Hemric wins the Seaducer and Tyson wins all his stuff back.

If you think you know what southern hospitality is then you are probably wrong unless you have been to Belews Creek.

You can check out some pics here.

P.S.

I didn't mind spanking up on you guys either. ;)

Nice Summary Preston and great Pics. I especially like the progression of pictures of the radio box pushrod seal. Wonder where I can buy some of those new Invisible Seals at?

Had a great time,

Scott Norris

Yes, indeedy, kudo's to the Triad club which put on a great race and made sure everyone had a nice time. I know Mike Hemric was sweating bullets a couple of weeks before the race because he only had a few signups at that point.

We from the Old Dominion MBA (Virginia) club had a strong turnout and are well represented on the winners' list. Steve Speas only brought one boat and half a gallon of gas and won in three classes. The folks who stayed home missed a good time.

Come on, Preston - Tell the truth now - I didn't take home the raffle prizes I'd posted; I told them to draw another number. I've ended up winning (but passing on) one of my donations at every race I've been to, so I'm used to it. At the Nats I won a Prather muffler. The real cool winners were Mike Snowdon, who won the T-Mod muffler, and his son, Josh who won the Aeromarine boat.

piper_chuck said:
All results should be here now.  I cross checked the numbers, but I'm terrible with clerical work.  If anyone sees something wrong, please send me a PM.  Race results:

B Mono (winner decided by runoff race):

1) Ryan Knight 750

2) Preston Hall 750

B Tunnel:

1) Chuck Gardiner 1600 (corrected)

2) Greg Mintz 600

B Hydro:

1) Preston Hall 1225

2) Mike Byer 1150

3) Frank Sechrest 75

D Hydro:

1) Preston Hall 1225

2) Frank Sechrest 625

3) John Knight 400

F Hydro:

1) Don Ferrette 1350

2) John Stelzer 1225

3) Frank Sechrest 325

Open Mono:

1) Michael Hemric 825

2) Jeffrey Davis 725

3) Richard Strader 625

Open Offshore:

1) Tom Rollins 1400

2) Mike Tyson 1269

3) Steve Speas 1175

LSG Cat:

1) Steve Speas 1425

2) Mike Tyson 1300

3) Tom Rollins 1225

LSG Hydro:

1) Steve Speas 1100

2) John Stelzer 850

3) Frank Mintz 300

Crackerbox:

1) Mike Menter 1225

2) Larry Hibbert 1100

3) Frank Mintz 625

SLS Mono (winner decided by runoff race):

1) Tom Rollins 1200

2) Jeffrey Davis 1200

3) Frank Mintz 919

LSG Mono:

1) Mike Tyson 1600

2) Larry Hibbert 1125

3) Jarvis Newton 525

107466[/snapback]

Piper Chuck,

Please double check the scores for B Hydro. Ryan finished 2 heats in second place before the mysterious floating (?) object tore up his rigger and put him out of the race in the 3rd round. Thanks.

John

Preston_Hall said:
The Twisters put on a pretty good race for their first time around. We discussed a few suggested improvements which I am sure they will work on and then this will be a top notch deal. There was a very nice driver's stand and the digital clock was pretty too. Somebody left the plug out of the drain so the water was a little low but no big deal. Hot and humid as could be!
A big round of applause to Mike Hemric. You could really see the stress setting in on him.

Also to Mike Byer who had another thankless job of retrieving all the dead wood. Thanks for lunch also Mike.

Dick Tyndall attended only to CD most of the race when he did not even bring a boat. What can you say?

And to Mrs. Hemric and her helpers, mmmmmmmmm GOOD! Hamburgers with all the fix'ns, slaw, fruit bowl, chips and drinks on Saturday. Sunday, pulled chicken BBQ, pork BBQ, slaw, baked beans, drinks, pound cake, brownies and rolls. Everything was good ol' home cook'n. With service like that Mike better watch his back because the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. She don't look too bad either.  ;)

The raffles were fixed..................... Hemric wins  the Seaducer and Tyson wins all his stuff back.

If you think you know what southern hospitality is then you are probably wrong unless you have been to Belews Creek.

You can check out some pics here.

P.S.

I didn't mind spanking up on you guys either.  ;)

107515[/snapback]

Our thanks go out to the PTPT club. Did well for a first race. Had the challenges, especially from an 80 lbs or more beaver damming up the lake and when heavy rains came on Thursday night creating quite a mess with a flood. We recovered well on Friday and things went off good for the weekend. Food was excellent. Heat was incredible but so was the racing.

Preston, thanks for the pictures and the spanking. It let's me know that I still have some more work to do. That is how you improve yourself and you don't get that smoking the weak sisters of the poor.

John Knight said:
Please double check the scores for B Hydro.  Ryan finished 2 heats in second place before the mysterious floating (?) object tore up his rigger and put him out of the race in the 3rd round.  Thanks.
John, I'll check the sheets tonight.

piper_chuck said:
John Knight said:
Please double check the scores for B Hydro.  Ryan finished 2 heats in second place before the mysterious floating (?) object tore up his rigger and put him out of the race in the 3rd round.  Thanks.

107527[/snapback]

Gentelmen.. and Ladies! ;)

As a member of the Capitol RC Boat Club, I am envious of your pond and grateful for your hospitality. This was my first visit to Piedmont home water and I hope it will not be my last. Some one mentioned in an earlier post that this was your first District event. If that’s true, you all certainly deserve a round of applause. It was a well run event with no controversies or more important no accidents and we had lots of good close competition. It was my son Greg’s first competition as a driver and he had a wonderful time. He placed second (Ok, Ok, out of two….) in B Tunnel and he mixed it up with the “big boys” in LSG Cat and Open Offshore. Thanks to Don and Lee for all their help in getting the little B tunnel to finally make six laps. We were trying to chase Chuck down with a prop we borrowed from him. Yes, he destroyed two buoys while racing the Cat and missed the last round due to a “no start” but he was still jazzed at the end of competition. As his pit man, I will take the heat for the no start, bad spark plug we think.

I hope we can reciprocate this fall and have all of you to the Centennial Race in September. Hope to see all at the ODMBA race in August.

B)

El Zorro said:
The beaver that caused the water level problems at the lake was up to 95 lbs. by the time I left to go home Sunday after the race............
            Dick

107551[/snapback]

So was that Carp that kept chewing up the props!

:lol:

Scott

Just wanted to compliment Mike and his club for a wonderful race! Great bunch of people. Also thanks to Mike Byers for his service in the retrieve boat!

~ I think ODMBA represented this race.... 7 first places out of 11 classes!!

~ I also showed my new style radio boxes which pics are available in Preston's photo album. They are the LIQUID COOLED RADIO BOXES which I designed to keep the temp down in the radio box under severe heat conditions. I only ran into 1 problem which I am still tweaking. Seems that when the receiver gets wet,the boat does crazy things????? :eek: :eek: :eek: I am going to try a smaller drill bit next time and see if that works!!!!

Anyways I had a blast and look forward to going next year!!

Mike

The Twister boys put on a good show! They are sitting a site with HUGE potential, with a few mods & it can be a killer race site. Mike H. did a super job for his first big event!!! Once he got past the "deer in the headlights" look he had midday Friday he really took the bull by the horns & his wife kept us all fat & happy at lunch time. Mike Byer was on the ball with retrieve duties & kept things moving with those speedy pick ups. A big thanks to Dick for the time he spent helping Mike with CD duties. Even though it was hot as hell we still really enjoyed ourselves & look forward to next year. Hope to see you all at the ODMBA race next month. :)

piper_chuck said:
John Knight said:

107527[/snapback]

Results list corrected. It was my bad, I read the results sheet wrong (really, really, wrong).

piper_chuck said:
piper_chuck said:
John Knight said:

107527[/snapback]

Results list corrected. It was my bad, I read the results sheet wrong (really, really, wrong).

107598[/snapback]

Ryan and I both say thank you. He outdid me this weekend. Again. His boats run too well and he can drive the heck out of them.

John Knight said:
Ryan and I both say thank you.  He outdid me this weekend.  Again.  His boats run too well and he can drive the heck out of them.
107601[/snapback]

Get that F hydro straightened out for ODMBA race. :)

The only thing that I can say is that to have a good race, you need to have good racers come out for it, and that is just what happened. Thank you to everyone that came to visit us, and please come back any time. We'll get our problems with the wildlife resolved, and get our grass back in place of the mud, and be back to normal in a little while. It was good to meet everyone in person, and have some full heats to race. Thank you Preston for the lesson in 20 rigger, I hate it for you guys that have to deal with him at your local club, he's tough on those starts.

Mike B

Back