Great Story. One of the first Amps tunnels and outboard engine found after 40 years

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
I want to share a very special boat with you all today. One with a huge amount of history, and a GREAT story behind it, verified by two sources. So, this boat, is the 2nd Amps SX100 tunnel and Amps outboard made by Miller and Bob Agnew in England. This was Bob's personal boat, and used for advertising in the mid to late 70's.. This boat, was given to the head of OMC, some time around 1976-1978 as a gift. This was verified by Bob Agnew to Ken Renna (current Amps licensing owner, nephew of Miller), not only verbally, but on an original Photography (copy of that photo shown below). On the back of the photo it stated that the boat had been given to the head of OMC sometime between '76-78..but could not remember exactly when. So, that is the boat in the photo...

Now, fast forward to a few years ago...The guy I just picked this boat up from, was working part time for the head of OMC, who was retiring. He and some others, cleaned up this gentlemans office. When the guy got all he wanted from his office, he turned to the guys cleaning and moving, and said if there is anything you guys want in there, take it, I don't want anything else. This guy saw the boat, and scooped it up. So a couple months ago, I get a call from a guy that sold me the first amps hull I obtained (a gold Baja), and says Mike, I got this guy with a really old Amps boat, he wants to sell it. I said, OK, send me pics. So he does, and I remembered seeing this boat in a picture many many pages back on the RCU Amps thread...sure enough, I found the pic..there it was..after all these years, the boat from the photo was found! Never had fuel run through it, still in great shape. Turns out, this boat was actually the first production SX100 and Amps outboard, with Ken's being the first Prototype SX100 and outboard! (He has shared pics of that hull elsewhere) Unreal, it has been in the USA since the late 70's, and almost 40 years later, emerges! I feel extremely lucky to have this boat in my possession now! It just arrived today! Enjoy the pics! Mike

Original Photo from the mid 70's. This photo is in Ken Renna's possession:

To44735_zpsc745moyu.jpg

IMG_20160609_53658_zpshqbcnqhr.jpg

IMG_20160609_49917_zpsbiexo6ub.jpg

IMG_20160609_318_zpsdte14gdk.jpg

20160609_110721_zpslg8i6ce4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing, Mike. I had one of the AMPS 40 size tunnels with an O.S. power head. I think it was given to me for a review in one of the RC boat mags I wrote for back in the late 70s. Actually, I'm sure it was given to me because there was no way I was going to shell out the money they wanted for those units.

The boat had a tendency to loop out in the corners. It did look cool on the water. But, it was not as fast as my own tunnel design with a K&B and the handling issues made it a challenge to heat race.

I did find an advertising flyer for AMPS products. I don't remember what I did with the boat and engine. In retrospect, I should have put it up in the rafters of my shop. Another, "Woulda', Coulda', Shoulda."

JD

Yeah, I don't think they were overly fast, mainly more for scale look vs the full size boats. If you ever find that Amps tunnel and outboard, you know how to find me! I will buy it! I have every boat in that brochure you posted a pic of, lol, and many more! Love them! Mike

And yes, they were a rich mans toy back in the day. The Formula 402 was $1900 in the mid 80's...that is like $6000 of todays money!!! OUCH!

I think it is Joey. I took it home at lunch so I will have to check. Its old, I do know that!

I think it was Charlie Strang at OMC that owned the boat. Although much newer, Ben Robertson, from Charleston, has a Velden boat like the IBM boat he used to race. He asked me to get it going for him a few years sgo.

That very well could be him Bob. I wonder what mold Velden the other guy has. The early style, or the later one they offered.

Nice find! What is the powerhead? That is the boat/motor I had several years ago. Boat was yellow/white gel. Sold it to Ken that started the RCU AMPS thread. The powerhead on that boat was a Fox .60 Red Head. Wish I never had to sell it.

Yep, Ken's is the one I was referencing above. This is the yellow/ white hull. It was the prototype boat. This one has a .60 Super Tiger engine.

Hey Bob, at the time, I think you sent me about all you had that was Amps related, unless you found more stuff recently?

Back