Getting a new controller for an existing receiver

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david.zipkin

hi -- I recently purchased a used RC boat needing some work. It has a Futaba FP-R112JE 2 channel receiver. (pic below);

I'd like to pick up a new controller for it. Newbie question here but I'd really appreciate the guidance. Can someone give me some pointers for determining what I need to look for in a controller to ensure it works with the receiver on the boat?

Thanks
DavidIMG_9412.jpeg

The problem with that receiver is you cant get those transmitters that work with them any more. You would have to find something used. Plus finding crystal is difficult too. You might be better off buying a new radio system.
Mike

That’s an old vintage AM Futaba radio receiver - really not worth the effort in finding even a good used radio to use with it. Those receivers are outdated and not available either. Todays systems are much better and you wouldn’t need something expensive.
Here’s a decent radio with receiver that won’t break the bank: https://www.amazon.com/Futaba-3PRKA...mzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

That’s an old vintage AM Futaba radio receiver - really not worth the effort in finding even a good used radio to use with it. Those receivers are outdated and not available either. Todays systems are much better and you wouldn’t need something expensive.
Here’s a decent radio with receiver that won’t break the bank: https://www.amazon.com/Futaba-3PRKA-3-Channel-2-4GHz-System/dp/B005EFZBB4/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?crid=3QALTWDGXOA6H&keywords=futaba&qid=1689944153&sprefix=futaba,aps,91&sr=8-7&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

Thanks. This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for.

Thanks for your quick responses. I think this is perfect for phase 1 of my project: getting the boat up and running again.

I have a more ambitious phase 2 in mind, and I'd like what I buy here to be compatible with that too.

In the second phase I'd like to control the boat via computer, not via a manual controller. I've come across PC controlled modems like the RFDesign RFD900x Modem (link). Ideally, I'd like the boat to be able to be controlled by that. However, I'm not sure how to check for compatibility.

The RFDesign transmits in the 900Mhz range, while the Futada receiver recommended above transmits at 2.4Ghz so I suspect they're not compatible.

In sum, what I'm looking for is:
1- a new RF receiver for the boat
2- a RF controller for manual control
3- a RF modem to control the boat from my laptop

@Wally's suggestion helps with #1 and #2. Does anyone have thoughts on how I can factor in #3 as well?

Any further thoughts, pointers, and ideas would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back