Gel Coating

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleece3

The saga with my Scarab continues. My next question is concerning the gel coating. A number of people have email me that the gel is to heavy. So here is my question. Does it make sense (or is it possible) to sand it off, or by other means remove it. The base color of the finished boat will be white, so I must weight paint weight vs gel coat weight. There are a few areas (I can post pictures if needed) where the gel coat should be repaired. Possible? And lastly, in the docs it say only use a poly resin the epoxy. Does the jive with general experience up here?

Thanks,

Floyd

I'd leave the gel coat on your boat alone. Most of the comments apply to new construction. A non gel coated epoxy boat will be lighter and tougher than your boat, but the small saving isn't worth the trouble in a finished hull.

Epoxy resins will stick to any (except for some slippery plastics) sanded, clean surface. They even stick where you wish they wouldn't. Polyester resins don't stick well to anything by comparison.

Lohring Miller

Floyd,

Leave the Gelcoat alone.

I gotta be honest...I have never heard of someone's gellcoat being too heavy.

What is the weight/length??

That Scarab V hull is going to displace alot of water. If you think it's a little heavy....add a few extra .cc to the engine size.

Pics would be kewl. :p

Just my .02

(oh look....change....doh)

Back