Registering a boat and corresponding paint/livery

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicholashansen

Hey guys, I just had a quick question ive been curious about for some time.

My hull is currently in primer and ready for paint, and I was planning on doing a little testing while in this stage.

I was curious, exactly what determines the corresponding paintwork or rather, how accurate does the color of paint on my boat need to be in regards to the full size boat?

I used Klass Kote white primer and so I wanted to stick with Klass Kote for the paint if possible, and ive been leaning towards the 1996 Miss Bud at Seafair. So could I just use Klass Kote red, or are there exact paint codes that I need to adhere to?

thanks!

EDIT: on a slightly off topic note, im a little confused, as this picture here says Seattle 1996:

miss_budweiser_(20)_1996_seattle_sl.jpg
\

however, in this video, the boat shown has the swim step:

Did the bud crew have 2 different boats of the likes at the time?

Last edited by a moderator:
would it be a hassle to maybe answer for both? lol, my apologies, I still havn't really made a choice as for where or when im going to actually race, and being that this is my first boat, the organization that requires more/less effort may influence the choices I make.

It is preferred to match the actual colors as close as possible, actually using the same color numbers being best. That being said, many of the boats from the past only say this color or that, not the color number itself. This brings on the picture examinations that can have several different builders modeling one boat and using vastly different paint colors.

As far as the picture and video showing different things, there were three, if not four, Bud hulls at that time. There was possibly T-2, but definitely T-3, T-4 and T-5. It is quite possible that the picture shown is of T-3 and the video shows T-5. Another possible explanation is that T-3 was shown and the swim platform was added after the picture was taken. This is something that the local Bud "experts" would know more about than I

Ah Gotcha, thanks HJ.

so if you had to make a choice, would you say go with the Klass Kote red, or perhaps wait?

cool, is that like an acrylic urethane or something?

thanks

I did the T6 Miss Bud in Klass Kote from primer to clear and Bright Red #206 worked out really nice for the color coat. I've gotten may compliments on the paint. I take allot of pride in the way my boats look but I priced out the auto paints and it just couldnt bring myself to spend that kind of money.

For the HOK orange I need for my Elam, it's $107 for a quart of color only. We matched the white to a PPG number and it's almost $140 for a quart.

dang I have next to nothing in terms of equipment too.

im starting to wonder if attempting to hand it over to a body shop is worth a go

For the HOK orange I need for my Elam, it's $107 for a quart of color only. We matched the white to a PPG number and it's almost $140 for a quart.
For the HOK orange, use the graphics color instead of the neon. Same color without the fade qualities and a bit cheaper. Their Graphics white is much less than PPG. Any boat that I have built that needed white, I used to use PPG-GM Truck 2185 pure white. But the HOK graphics white is much less. The HOK Orange/White-and reducer cost me $190.00.

Back