Futaba FASST vs FHSS in racing boats....does it matter which you use?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddMarshall

Hi,

I'm looking to get a new Futaba radio to use for racing in gas boats and was looking for input as to whether anyone knows if there has been any testing/experience to determine if there is any performance difference between these two modulation techniques. I'm looking at the 4PV which uses FHSS, but I've read that a lot of folks use the 3PM-X. Other than the fact that the 3PM-X may have been around longer and thus is in more peoples' hands, strictly from a radio modulation perspective is one better than the other?

Also, if anyone could share the recommended receivers to use with the FASST and FHSS radios, that would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks so much!

Todd

Todd I have 2 603FF RXs for sale on the For sale forum. They are the FAST RXs that most boater's seem to use. They worked well for me! I changed over to the New Hitec Lynx 4 channel with GPS. Good luck

Hmmmm, I didn't know about the Hitec Lynx 4s. Looks very interesting. How has it performed for you? Does it have the ability to save the telemetry data to the SD card?

Thanks.

I have the 3 pmx futaba with the 603 receiver that has the dual antennas. works great for me for heat racing, the only issue I have is I need to cover the radio box with a towel during hot days because the heat generated inside the box lockes out the system. once it cools down its ok after that

I have the 3 pmx futaba with the 603 receiver that has the dual antennas. works great for me for heat racing, the only issue I have is I need to cover the radio box with a towel during hot days because the heat generated inside the box lockes out the system. once it cools down its ok after that
Put a small hole and like a 1/2 tapered rubber plug to vent . Once in the plug will not come out .

I had the same type of heat related problem with a 75MHz PCM R113ip. It worked fine until I put the radio box cover on but, after that, heat issues shut it down. The next race I went to, it was cooler and the receiver worked fine. This tells me that it's not an issue with a specific receiver but, rather, a problem that can happen with all recievers

I had the same type of heat related problem with a 75MHz PCM R113ip. It worked fine until I put the radio box cover on but, after that, heat issues shut it down. The next race I went to, it was cooler and the receiver worked fine. This tells me that it's not an issue with a specific receiver but, rather, a problem that can happen with all recievers
Correct. I have seen excessive heat affect JR, Futaba and Airtronics RXs. As with any electronic component heat is your enemy.

Back