Fun in Japan

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerhead

I spent a few weeks in Japan.

3 of those days were spent hanging out with some of the guys I used to race RC boats with. We had a fun run on the 29th of November at the place where I used to practice called Sarugashima. The weather was great, and about 35 people showed up. I had a blast. I took my Hammerhead 12 boat with me. It ran very well. Unfortunately, it stayed in Japan. I guess I will have to build another one for next season.

One of the most impressive boats there was the new version of the Kyosho FMR 21 mono. The yellow mono in the photo. We put a 1614/3 chopper on it that Mark made up for me. It was faster than any 21 mono I have ever seen. The lay up is carbon fiber, and it sells for about 700 dollars. Ouch!!! Way back in the day, I had a hand in the development of the first version. It has improved significantly since then. Now if they can only make it more affordable, it would definitely change the scene in A-Mono racing. I met with the head of the Kyosho Boat department Mr. Hamazaki. He had some good words to say about Roger Hooks Jr. Thought I would pass them along.

He said he would send me one to try out at the next 2-lap trial in District 8.

Hammerhead in Japan.jpg

Hammerhead 12 in Japan

20151129_111927.jpg

Kyosho FMR 21

20151129_111952.jpg

Quite a gathering

Hey Robert,

They don't where I ran last week, but they do stand in the water at the sanctioned races in Tokyo when the water is high. There is a chain link fence between the driver area and the course that is half submerged when the water is up. It doesn't show up in most of the pictures you will see online. I guess with the limited areas there are to run boats, it is what it is. I raced there for many years and never saw an incident where someone was hit. I have seen a few boats eat the fence, including my own. I guess it only takes once, though.

Marty

This is the course for the sanctioned races in Tokyo when the water is low. The drivers are standing inside the fence.

JMPBA Course.jpg

Kyosho did a great job on that Mono , any pics of the bottom Marty ?

Really like some of the improvements they brought into it. Any video of it running ?

Andy

BTW , You said you "left" the 12 boat there, was it still in one piece ? lol
default_tongue.png

Kyosho did a great job on that Mono , any pics of the bottom Marty ?

Really like some of the improvements they brought into it. Any video of it running ?

Andy

BTW , You said you "left" the 12 boat there, was it still in one piece ? lol
default_tongue.png
Yes! Still in one piece. I took it all apart and put it in my check in baggage to take it there. Didn't feel like hassling with it, so I left it there.

I figure that I will be focusing more on A-mono next season anyway. I have a Rico 21 that is a work in progress, and a brand new AC Model's Waveslave that I haven't even started on yet.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a video of the Kyosho mono running, or pics of the bottom. I will do a more detailed thread about it if Hamazaki sends me one to play with.

I will look on some of the Japanese sites to see if I can find some vids to post.

Marty

Marty,

It sounds like you had a fun trip.

I heard there was a few fast 21-Hydros there also?

Toru told me one of the 1815's I did was working quite well

on a Nova Rossi-21DD? Glad the Choppers are working on

that boat also. Believe it or not there is another 1615/3 Chopper

now available with 20 degrees of rake and it is even faster if you

have enough motor to pull it? It is a 40 X 61 with 2.4" of average

pitch. The old 1614/3 Chopper is a 40 X 56.8" average pitched

propeller with 15 degrees of rake to compare the two side by side.

Thanks For Sharing,

Mark Sholund

Marty,

It sounds like you had a fun trip.

I heard there was a few fast 21-Hydros there also?

Toru told me one of the 1815's I did was working quite well

on a Nova Rossi-21DD? Glad the Choppers are working on

that boat also. Believe it or not there is another 1615/3 Chopper

now available with 20 degrees of rake and it is even faster if you

have enough motor to pull it? It is a 40 X 61 with 2.4" of average

pitch. The old 1614/3 Chopper is a 40 X 56.8" average pitched

propeller with 15 degrees of rake to compare the two side by side.

Thanks For Sharing,

Mark Sholund
Yeah Mark!

There was a lot of interest in your props. I already received an email from Enomoto. He is the only Japanese racer that has won every available class at the Japanese Nationals. He wants some of your props. He tried out the 1815 you made for Toru on his hydro and was very impressed. He also likes the 1515 you made for my 12 hydro on his 21 mod tunnel. That thing is a rocket. You might have to quit your day job
default_biggrin.png

The 1515 on my 12 was a ridiculous improvement. I had to change my turn fin, and do some rudder work on my rigger to get it to handle the extra speed. It is running near 125 kph now. That's about 77 mph. Not bad for a 12 heat racer.

I will be placing an order soon.

Marty,

There is going to be a lot more Great Propellers coming out of Columbus, Ohio

Very Soon. Jim at ABC Propeller is doing a Great Job providing us modelers

with a lot of new propellers that are much improved from the others we have been

running. One we get used to the new variety of propellers to choose from it will be

Much more fun and easier for us to set up our boats better. The 1515 is a really big

improvement and more new sizes with a little less blade area ratio are in the works.

Thank You and your friends overseas for trying some new ideas on your boats.

Have A Safe And Happy Holiday,

Mark Sholund

One of the most impressive boats there was the new version of the Kyosho FMR 21 mono. The yellow mono in the photo. We put a 1614/3 chopper on it that Mark made up for me. It was faster than any 21 mono I have ever seen. The lay up is carbon fiber, and it sells for about 700 dollars.

attachicon.gif
20151129_111927.jpg
yes, very nice looking mono there. How/where can you aquire one in the states? Do they manufacture various sizes?

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the most impressive boats there was the new version of the Kyosho FMR 21 mono. The yellow mono in the photo. We put a 1614/3 chopper on it that Mark made up for me. It was faster than any 21 mono I have ever seen. The lay up is carbon fiber, and it sells for about 700 dollars.

attachicon.gif
20151129_111927.jpg
yes, very nice looking mono there. How/where can you aquire one in the states? Do they manufacture various sizes?
Hello David, This version of the FMR 21 is not for sale yet. It will be soon. If you go to www.kyoshoamerica.com you will be able to see it there when it is ready to market.

They do have the previous version of the FMR 21 listed on http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/DIS--HullFMR-21V_p_14125.html. It doesn't look like it is available anymore. That boat runs extremely well, too.

I have to warn you, though. They are way over priced. The new version is a CF lay up, and it will be close to $700.

Marty

Hi Marty,

I can guess that you spent great days in Japan both in your private auspicious event and in running RC boats. It was so regrettable, however, that we could not run boats together due to my arrival timing in Japan and the distance between your old runnig field and my hose.

Sorry for the belated appreciation for delivering my props from Mark. I got them from Enomoto Friday last week. Thank you very much for your great help, Marty!

On the same day when you ran your boat at Sarugashima, I ran my 21 rigger (KEEP 21DD, 65% nitro) that Mark mentioned above at Gyotoku. Unfortunately, I did not have a GPS, but it was obvious that the rigger gained significantly improved speed with the 1815, getting smoother cornering. As for two 1614/3 Choppers (slightly different in diameters and pitches), I tried them on my wooden 21 mono (KEEP 21 Marine, 40% nitro) just yesterday. Both were another surprises! My mono gained a lot of speed as well as a beuatifully smooth cornering. As you said, those props fetched big interests from my fellow boaters at Gyotoku as well. Mark will soon be very busy.
default_smile.png

Toru

Toru,

Believe me I am busy. Glad to here the new propellers are working better than

the old ones. I feel the more testing that I can do right now the more knowledge

I gain on the newest propeller series from ABC. I am finding out what little modifications

that work on the new series and when Jim gets more of the new molds ready I think we

will see even more gains in performance.

Thanks For Your Patience,

Mark Sholund

Back