fuel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish everyone had to run the same fuel and oil mixes could be personal choice,that way the advantage would be proper setup and tuning instead of fuel,especially in the stock motor only classes, this would make the cheaters stand out and motors need to be torn down and inspected for top trophy finishers!I do not believe everyone has been honest with stock spec motors or is it enforced!

I wish everyone had to run the same fuel and oil mixes could be personal choice,that way the advantage would be proper setup and tuning instead of fuel,especially in the stock motor only classes, this would make the cheaters stand out and motors need to be torn down and inspected for top trophy finishers!I do not believe everyone has been honest with stock spec motors or is it enforced!
Look at the graphs I posted. In the NAMBA G class motors, that is the one piece cylinder engines the majority of racers run, it doesn't make any difference. Even running nitro mixed with ethanol containing gasoline didn't help. The NAMBA rules have an excellent mechanism if you think someone is cheating. I have been protested under this system and had to run our competitor's fuel at a SAW event. Our speeds didn't change.

Lohring Miller

As mentioned Japans RON 90 would be about 85 octane to us.

90 RON isn't the same as 90 octane at the gas pump. It is calculated by the RON + MON/2 method RON might be what they use in Japan but it isn't the same. Straight RON numbers always run higher than RON + MON/2

RON 95/98 is the same as our RON + MON/2 91/93

We aren't running it because it is any kind of requirement of the engine. We run it because it is clean, consistent, non ethanol, leaded, low odor, inexpensive and run's like the dickens and it is readily available.

How many more reasons would one need to realize 100LL is an exceptional fuel for a little two strokes.

You would be hard pressed to find another fuel that compares except for some of the race fuels might but at 3 times the cost.

100LL is not 100 octane by the method used to rate pump gas. It is a MON rating not the RON + MON/2 rating used for auto pump fuel.

People tend to focus too much on what they have heard about running higher octane than you need makes less power and that lower octane fuel has more BTU's of energy than higher octane fuel and while this is true it would not be possible to measure the difference of having more octane than necessary in our engines. Having more octane than needed just doesn't mean jack to us whatsoever.

Look at the extreme octane difference of Colemans versus 100LL. Even though the engine will function on Colemans it will never make measurably more power with it than 100LL. It is probably going to perform a heck of a lot better with 100LL at almost 40 octane higher than the engine could be run on. This is extreme amounts of difference and it isn't measurable so running 100 instead of 90 sure as heck won't be any different.

Then the lead in 100LL is another benefit as it is a lubricating compound. Almost everyone racing 2 stroke motocross bikes are running leaded fuel. A lot run 100LL the rest leaded race fuel.

Does the 100LL require carb adjustments different from gas or Coleman fuel?

As mentioned Japans RON 90 would be about 85 octane to us.

90 RON isn't the same as 90 octane at the gas pump. It is calculated by the RON + MON/2 method RON might be what they use in Japan but it isn't the same. Straight RON numbers always run higher than RON + MON/2

RON 95/98 is the same as our RON + MON/2 91/93

We aren't running it because it is any kind of requirement of the engine. We run it because it is clean, consistent, non ethanol, leaded, low odor, inexpensive and run's like the dickens and it is readily available.

How many more reasons would one need to realize 100LL is an exceptional fuel for a little two strokes.

You would be hard pressed to find another fuel that compares except for some of the race fuels might but at 3 times the cost.

100LL is not 100 octane by the method used to rate pump gas. It is a MON rating not the RON + MON/2 rating used for auto pump fuel.

People tend to focus too much on what they have heard about running higher octane than you need makes less power and that lower octane fuel has more BTU's of energy than higher octane fuel and while this is true it would not be possible to measure the difference of having more octane than necessary in our engines. Having more octane than needed just doesn't mean jack to us whatsoever.

Look at the extreme octane difference of Colemans versus 100LL. Even though the engine will function on Colemans it will never make measurably more power with it than 100LL. It is probably going to perform a heck of a lot better with 100LL at almost 40 octane higher than the engine could be run on. This is extreme amounts of difference and it isn't measurable so running 100 instead of 90 sure as heck won't be any different.

Then the lead in 100LL is another benefit as it is a lubricating compound. Almost everyone racing 2 stroke motocross bikes are running leaded fuel. A lot run 100LL the rest leaded race fuel.

Does the 100LL require carb adjustments different from gas or Coleman fuel?
I have the same question, I found today the mentioned fuel IS easy to get and $4.69/GL Think it may be worth a try.

Specially since my wife is getting comfortable with her CT and is asking for MORE speed.

Fill us in Daniel, You ARE the go to guy
It could change the carb setting ever so slightly to be tuned optimally but it would be a very slight adjustment. If you were tuned perfectly already and changed to 100L it would run fine at the same setting but you might find a bit more power if it was fine tuned just a touch after the change.

The tune between Camp fuel and Regular fuel would be more profound. The temperature and humidity can make more change in tune than the switch to 100LL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got into gas and haven't been in the water yet. I go by a small airport every day so 100LL fuel is what I'm going to use. My question is I only read two types of oil mentioned to use with 100LL Hp2 Synthetic and Motul 800 is Klots oil any good?

I have used coleman fuel for years now with good results, In the last year or so I have started using 94 octane small engine fuel made by VP racing. I use the straight gas with no oil added and use amsoil dominator 2 stroke oil with it. I am very happy with how my engines are running and will continue to use this fuel. Since the price of coleman fuel is going up it is not that much more to run the VP fuel. I don't use pump gas due to the issues with ethanol.

I just got into gas and haven't been in the water yet. I go by a small airport every day so 100LL fuel is what I'm going to use. My question is I only read two types of oil mentioned to use with 100LL Hp2 Synthetic and Motul 800 is Klots oil any good?
Klotz Supertechniplate is a great lubricant.

It does mix readily with 100LL but to be safe use a jar and test a mix first to be 100% positive.

This is what happens when you try to mix a incompatible oil with a fuel. This can happen with any fuel so you must always test when you change fuel or oil. You wouldn't even know in a red plastic can and you will burn up your engine.

https://youtu.be/5Naawy2_oAI

Same 100LL and Belray MC-1

https://youtu.be/OlZADad1Rbc

So far I have only found Maxima Castor 927 to be the only oil that is incompatible.

I sure feel sorry for the guy's with the Rotax engines in their ultralights as they are using mostly 100LL and many use Maxima castor 927 for oil. This combo worked for 5-6 years and now it does not and it will stop a engine in it's tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
WAWA has recently entered Florida and many of the stores offer 87 Octane non-ethanol Gas.. I have been non-ethanol for years but now it's close and affordable at 2.60 per gallon.. Just keep the alcohol out of the fuel and your carberators will last for several seasons..

Later!!

Pat

I am running 90 Octane no ethenol bought from the pump at Sunoco. They also sell Racing fuel in 5 gallon containers and I have 100 octane Aviation fuel. The gas is the easiest and I have seen no noticable difference in the performance of the engine. Yes it stinks, but just because you don't smell the aviation fuel doesn't mean you aren't breathing it.

Pump fuel is inconsistent crap for any race engine you need consistent fuel when I was racing bikes I used elf bfk and I also run it in my boats its burns clean and has no impurities at all in it and it looks like water and has no smell when being burnt but its no longer available in Australia but wow what a fuel I now use 100ll it doesn't burn clean but its better than pump fuel

When racing down here you can only use pump fuel and its the dumbest rule ever

Back