Fuel Mixture

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What up Dog

I you were going to mix your own fuel lets say 50% nitro what % oils would you use. How would you break it down. I would like to here some of you're fuel mixtures.

Dog

I use 16% K/L 100

128 oz to a gallon

50% fuel

64 oz of nitro

20 oz oil

44 oz alc

Dave Roach

Last edited by a moderator:
80% nitro

12% ethylene oxide

8% oil (2/3 Klotz super techniplate, 1/3 Blenzall racing castor)

Needles like 40% nitro with 40% menthanol alcohol.

Jim Allen

I mix my fuel in 5 gallon lots.

2 and 1/2 gallons Nitro

1 Gallon Klotz KL 101

1 and 1/2 gallons methanol

This mixture is for .67 size engines and larger.

Al Hobbs

I think it’s interesting that nobody has mentioned oil viscosity, regardless of the percentage. I guess most just pick an off the shelf oil. That makes sense.

Ummm fuel!

Rocket and Roll

Grim

Grim,

You are right. No one talked about viscosity. Viscosity is a measurement of a liquid's resistance to flow. There could be big variations in oil performance and engine performance depending on the viscosity.

I have been using the Klotz KL-101, Supertechniplate for many years. John Shannon gave me the recipe I use back in the late 70's. I stay with the Klotz because it has worked well for me and it is readily available.

I can't say that it is better than some of the lighter oils, or worse for that matter. But, I know what I am getting.

Oil has 4 jobs to do in an engine. It cools by helping to carry away heat. It cleans by carrying away any remains of the combustion. It seals areas within the engine. And, of course it lubricates by minimizing metal to metal contact. I would guess that viscosity would have an effect.

It would be interesting to see if someone has made any tests, comparing oil performance by viscosity. Maybe someone has and I have not seen their results.

Al Hobbs

well al i have.

i did some testing last year for byron fuels.. have been working with them on a new boat fuel that is out know called HYDRO GLO.

i did some viscosity testing at the same PERCENTAGE of oils in different batches and there is a point where we got to low.. I never blew anything up BUT. the motor sure sounded very strange like it was detenating.

i don't know WHAT viscosity's it was.. they would just ask how much lower do you want, i told them and we went forward.

i can tell you that the viscosity didn't seam to play as big of factor as the oil percentages.. i spent all last fall testing different packages. until i found what i thought was good across the board for reliablilty and performance.

i would say after all the testing that with boat motors and the tremendous loads we have on them.. they won't take as thin of oils as car fuels will.

hope this was useful

chris

Hum...

And I have found some of the opposite as to what Chris has.. not entirely but some.. IF.. the oil was of a thicker viscosity, chris (big daddy) and my notes are closer.

Oil Viscosity plays/ed .... (in my testing) a much larger role then %tage. Sure the two go hand in hand but most boaters are afraid of high oil % numbers with a lack of understanding viscosity and how that plays into %tage.

To qualify I am not a chemist... BY FAR.. but just went through a year of "hard knocks" schooling... lol

Also.. as we know oil can be " adjusted " a bunch as well.

Anyhow.. good topic..

Let her ROLL!

Grim

BTY. I have no ulterior motive for jumping into this topic. :ph34r:

Hum...

And I have found some of the opposite as to what Chris has.. not entirely but some.. IF.. the oil was of a thicker viscosity, chris (big daddy) and my notes are closer.

Oil Viscosity plays/ed .... (in my testing) a much larger role then %tage. Sure the two go hand in hand but most boaters are afraid of high oil % numbers with a lack of understanding viscosity and how that plays into %tage.

To qualify I am not a chemist... BY FAR.. but just went through a year of "hard knocks" schooling... lol

Also.. as we know oil can be " adjusted " a bunch as well.

Anyhow.. good topic..

Let her ROLL!

Grim

BTY. I have no ulterior motive for jumping into this topic. :ph34r:

Hi Grim, I figured you did LOL. Mike Caruso 4261-S

80% nitro

12% ethylene oxide

Jim Allen

OK, I'll bite
rolleyes.gif

How do you mix Ethylene oxide with nitro.
unsure.gif

David

that weird z.

i tried it must have been 8 different gallons of of oil VISCOSITY's in the same oil percentages and no real noticable difference. this was done not changing anything on the boat.. only fuel.. and a radar gun in hand.. ( take that for what it is )

now when i went to different oil PERCENTAGES.. ya i did find some very noticable difference.. i suppose there is a chance that the lower percents flow better.. but you would think that would be true for say a HIGHER oil percentage with a THINNER oil.

who knows..

heck i would just like to go 100mph once. lol

good topic

Chris,

Did you test different ratios of castor and synthetic? I've always made sure to have some castor in the mix. But, maybe that is just being old fashioned.

Al Hobbs

There seems to be two primary oils that are used among those that mix our own fuels - Klotz, with castor and without, and Morgan's synthetic two cycle kart racing oil. There are others but those two are the primary ones. Don't know the viscosity numbers on them.

Then there are the blended fuels - O'Donnells, Byrons, RedMax, Wildcat, etc. All have their own secret formulas and oils and none will tell you exactly what they have in them. O'Donnells will not even tell you how much oil % is in their fuels but it is among the lowest of all the fuels commercially available and is an exceptionally high grade oil. RedMax traditionally uses 20% oil for boats (with and without castor) unless you have a special blend. So the oil content and type is all over the radar screen. Some oils seem to be much less viscous (thin) and others much more so (thicker). What does that mean? Possible more protection for the engine but less power? Possibly but there are many other factors that influence that too. The less oil you run the more often you will change bearings and engine parts normally. Then there are the small blocks, the mid sized blocks and then the big blocks. Same fuel/oil for them all?

I personally run enough oil (Morgan's) to get my engines to last a long time and still get very good performance from them. Somewhat of a tradeoff but I am not even close to running at the back of the pack either. My big blocks get 2% more oil. And every engine I have are internally pristine. That is what works for me. No silver bullet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone think a 30/70 ratio of castor/synthetic oil is too much castor for boats? That is what Morgan uses in their 40% nitro Omega aero blend. Total oil is 17%.

Thanks.

Chris,

Did you test different ratios of castor and synthetic? I've always made sure to have some castor in the mix. But, maybe that is just being old fashioned.

Al Hobbs

Hi al,

yes i tested castor synthetic mix.. synthhetic only and different ratios of castor/ synthetic

I used to be a big fan of castor.. but over the last few yrs i have gotten away from it.. and i can tell you that the new byrons fuel doesn't have any.. they are still mixing there tradional blend for guys that want a higher oil/castor content.. but after all the testing i did for them last yr.. i am convince that you really don't need it.

castor is one of those things that you either want it or you don't. now weither it is a help or hinderence?? i don't know.

80% nitro

12% ethylene oxide

Jim Allen

Mr. Jim, what are the advantages of the ethylene oxide over propylene oxide?

Have you ever tried acetone in your fuel mixture?

Thanks, Charles

Back