FLYSKY Radios

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

I've had such trouble lately,.. seems radio related, I may be asking for more.. I've been really shopping around.. I know alot of people are going to say buy the most expensive stuff,.. etc ,..etc.. but I just don't' think it's always needed, and I just plain cannot do that.

I have done alot of reading.. I ordered this radio

FLYSKY RC FS-GT3C 3ch 2.4GHz LCD GT3C Silver Transmitter & GR3E Rx (Silver)

and 2 extra receivers.

You can set the throttle to failsafe, built in. Manage multiple models I THINK without binding between each one every time, The specs are compatible to WAY more expensive radios. LiPo tx battery with USB charge port,.. I have heard they are a little slow. CANNOT POSSIBLY be as slower than these old FM units I'm using now.

I don't expect the world,.. but I just need an improvement.

Has anyone tried these yet? If it doesn't work out well at least im not out much.. I'm sure they would work just fine on my kids little cars if nothing else.

Channels: 3 Channels
Model type: Car / Boat
RF Range: 2.40 - 2.48GHz
Bandwidth: 500Hz
Band: 160
RF Power: Less than 20DB
2.4G System: AFHDS
Code type: GFSK
Senditivity: 1024
Low Voltage Warning: Yes (Less than 3.7V)
DSC Port: Yes (3.5mm, Output: PPM)
ST Range: 90
TH Range: 45 (F:30, B:15)
Charger Port: Yes (USB)
Power: 3.7V (800mAh)
Weight: 346g
ANT Length: 98.5mm
Size: 151 x 183 x 116mm
Certificate: CE, FCC

Package Includes

1 x FS-GT3C Transmitter
1 x FS-GR3E Receiver
1 x Charging USB Cable
1 x 3.7V Transmitter Li-Po Battery
1 x Extra Handle (Large Size)
1 x English Manual CD
1 x Color Box

haven't tried the "C", anthony. my son has 2 gt3b rx'x & 6 gr3c rx's. he uses them in all his boats & his screamin' fast jato. we live on 90 acres, we've driven the jato literally out of sight, & had control. boats the same way, no issues, except 3rd channel is biased to an off-on setup. proportional movement is VERY little & slow. i think the gt3c addressed this issue. cheap, light & they work. if i didn't have so much jr fm stuff, i'd use 'em, from what i've seen.

I am using that exact radio. Would suggest that you buy the flashing kit with new firmware that will get you things that the radio is missing. I love mine.

The guy who does the firmware mods is going to add some things for boaters in the next upgrade.

You can buy the things you need here. http://overkillrc.com Austin Hutchinson

You will need the spsecial input plug for the 3C & the programer. The firmware is free.

The only thing I'm having issues with is confirming that the 3rd channel trim button is actually a linear trim adjustment.. and not a trim adjustment for the 3rd channel switch.. Marty can you answer this?

Anthony:

That is the main thing that you need the new firmware for. the 3rd channel doesn't work like we need it the way it comes. It is a MUST have.

those rock,.. that is what I get for being so GD cheap,.. now my money is tied up in paypal cyber space,. .should have just got the 4channel

Hi Anthony,

We have a few of the GT3B's that we've hacked and beat the "H" out of them with the grand kids and I've used them in a .21 rigger with no problems. The hack does many things for the radio. One important one for me was to be able to adjust the throttle trim to move the neutral point to keep the engine running when I started the it. The radio comes setup so when you move the throttle trim it moves the neutral but also changes the end point at the same time, if you have a hard stop on the carb barrel you'll take the gears out of the servo before you know it. Austin Hutchinson is in CA., they use these radios for rock crawlers and that's why he did alot of work on them. He's really good to work with and with minimal soldering and electronic skills it's not difficult to do. I think the GT3C is easier to do the mod/hack on than the GT3B, plus it's prettier, bright orange or bright green. HA

Thanks, John

Glad this subject came up. Makes me feel better about my Flysky. And thanks Marty for the heads up for upgrades. This is one of the things I like about IW. You can find out a lot of good stuff, and it's free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking over the web site for info, it seems a bit lacking on needed info to really understand what I can order on a new radio- it is a bit confusing generally-

I (& many others) have been down this road to many times in the past & usually ended up disappointed to a large degree in the product ordered-

I trust Marty's comments on these radios- & the main reason I have looked into this further-

Hope some more boaters out there that are using these radios will relay their thoughts-

I seem to have missed complete ordering info (like Tower Hobbies) here-

Maybe better to wait a while before buying this radio?

Dave

(RPMInc Ret)

I have this radio and use it on 3 boats with no problems. Take Marty's advice and get the flash done . Overkill does a great job with flashing the firmware for our application. Buy several receivers since they are only 7 bucks a piece. No trouble running in 2 years .

I don't have the 3C, but have the 3A and the 3B. Both have been rugged and have not had any issues with glitching or lockouts. IMHO, the best bang for your buck. I did the hack job to the voltage regulator and the firmware upgrade kit, but I bought my programmer off Ebay and my VR off of one of the big Electronics retailers and I was happy with the 3B afterward. It was well worth both mods and easy to do.

You will be happy you went with it.

Curtis

I ordered the latest 3 channel and I'm grim to get the tool and firmware to upgrade the software. If everything I've read and been told is true, I will have a full function modern system for a very good cost. A bit of work it will be much better than my old fm systems. Hopefully end the spat of crashes.

Looking over the web site for info, it seems a bit lacking on needed info to really understand what I can order on a new radio- it is a bit confusing generally-

I (& many others) have been down this road to many times in the past & usually ended up disappointed to a large degree in the product ordered-

I trust Marty's comments on these radios- & the main reason I have looked into this further-

Hope some more boaters out there that are using these radios will relay their thoughts-

Dave

(RPMInc Ret)
Dave:

You order these at http://hobbypartz.com They run out of them frequently so just be patien if they don't have any. They usually have them in a week or so. The receivers are only $8 each and the work well. You can get a radio for the entire fleet for less than $100. The hack kit is essential as there are things that John Beardslee indicated are fixed with this kit. You have to solder a receptical onto the board of the transmitter and then use that port to re-program the firmware to have all the tweaks that Austin Hutchinson has come up with. As John B indicated, this guy plays with rock crawlers and they need all sorts of things that he has built into the revised firmware.

If you are really scared to try this yourself (not dificult), Austin sells radios that are already set up with the mods. He doesn't work on customers radios, just new ones that he sells.

Austin told me that in the next revision of the firmware he would put in mixing of the rudder and third channel. I have wanted this for a long time and it looks like it might be in the near future.

I can recommend this radio system with the new firmware without reservations. I do wish that the transmitter had a little larger capacity battery.

By the way I found a good charger at Walmart that you can plug into the wall rather than the supplied charge cord to be used with a USB port on your computer.

Dave

(RPMInc Ret

Austin told me that in the next revision of the firmware he would put in mixing of the rudder and third channel. I have wanted this for a long time and it looks like it might be in the near future.
Marty , I use that on my 40 mono (diff radio) and its VERY effective ;)

Think 1 click of the needle on hard rudder input right and 1 click back upon centering wheel/pending needle used.

The boat barley drops any rpm in the corner , gonna play with it on the Scale as soon it gets home :rolleyes:

Andy

I would like to know how you guys found out about the upgrades for the FlySky. I've never seen anything on line.

Back