Floating Barrier

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WikiWiki1

Supporting Member
Anyone ever look at putting up some kind of barrier across the lake to isolate the race course from the rest of the lake? That way the community could still use the rest of the lake while we race and avoid conflicts between racers and the public.

I have raced at places that used a barrier to seperate the water between boat races and other activities. At one lake they used a cable stretched across a narrow opening. The cable was difficult to see and boats just went right over it. Of course the boat was damaged and did not go very far beyond the divider.

Another method I've seen used is plastic snow fence stretched across the opening with flotation every so often to keep it from sagging. It was easy to see and no ran into it.

Another method was logs tied end to end. These were hard to see as they floated so low in the water and boats ran right over it.

At another place they used swimming pool lane dividers. These sat low in the water but were easy to see. No one went over them.

In my experience, the dividers work best if they are easy to see.

Al Hobbs

Brandon uses a 4 rope system utilizing 3 / 4 ' Yellow poly rope . seems to work ok but boats do make it across under power sometimes .
I seem to remember a certain gas hydro at full song not too long ago :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

All kidding aside,

The times a boat makes it through the 4 rope system - it usually doesnt end up going far and really doesnt seem to hurt the boat too bad. ;)

One of the ponds I ran on in NAMBA 9 used a system to divide the lake. Lake Minden. I never tested it or saw it tested.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be a good question to pursue.
i think the the orange fence with the floats every so often would a better insurance cover, if you think about it, clubs use it on land to stop the boats, and if a boat would run into it on the water, the fence would give more.

i personally dont think that would be a good idea.

ever see a boat go thru that fence?

my opinion.
read the last line, if a boat would hit the fence, the prop will keep pushing the hull into the fence and the fence would come up and out of the water and should flip the hull.it won't stop a 90 mph rigger but it will slow it down some. just my 2 cent

The orange snow fence will not stop a 90 rigger at all.I have witnessed it firsthand. The boat kept going and even climbed a 30ft bank and hit a large boulder. We use a fishing net with bouys attached every 20 ft. It has stopped riggers,cats,hydros,monos of all sizes except for twins. DO NOT TRUST THE ORANGE SNOWFENCE.

As the NAMBA Safety Director, I was asked to evaluate the barrier used at Lake Minden. It is made of sports netting, the kind used in baseball batting cages, stretched across the lake and supported with posts on buoys. It has a weighted line on the bottom to keep the lower edge submerged. I watched it stop several electric boats at the NAMBA Electric Nationals. It was tested by running a gas mono into it at full speed. Getting the boats untangled takes some time, but it is very effective. The boats were undamaged as well. You need good anchors, such as trees, on both sides of the lake so the net can be stretched properly. I believe it cost around $2500, so it was not cheap. Dave Bestpitch knows the details. I feel it is a good answer where you need to separate our racing from other activities. I am appalled when people think a rope or cable like that used in the 2005 NAMBA Nationals can do the job.

Lohring Miller, NAMBA Safety Director

Last edited:
The sports net at Lake Minden has let at least one gas mono through, but it did pull off the ignition wire to the spark plug. It will stop most boats if they come at it at an acute angle, such as when a gas mono loses radio and circles and slowly circles closer and closer to the net. It wrapped up the prop pretty good and took a while to untangle. After watching a program on TV about the fishing industry, I'm thinkin' maybe a net made out of the stuff they use to catch cod (Spectra rope) might have a hope of working well enough to stop the gas monos at a right angle to the net, thier pointy nose working on one square of the net seems to be the problem. Would need someone familiar with these nets or rope to help source this kind of barrier. Permanant long term installations might be a problem with UV degradation to the ropes. Testing a 30' sample of the net held between 2 8' pieces of conduit driven into the lake bed did not simulate real world conditions. Rudy

Attached are some pictures of the net. The buoys have been changed to keep the edge of the net in the water. The system isn't perfect, but neither are the high banks of a gravel pit. I've put a boat into a tree at waist height from the water surface that was around 5 feet below the bank. There is no substitute for space between the pond and spectators. There is also no substitute for continuous concern for safety by both officials and racers.

Lohring Miller

That would be a good question to pursue.
i think the the orange fence with the floats every so often would a better insurance cover, if you think about it, clubs use it on land to stop the boats, and if a boat would run into it on the water, the fence would give more.
The orange fencing is only good for keeping people back from the waters edge it will not stop a fast moving model boat we recommend purchacing netting from this site. It holds up well and will stop a boat. http://www.seamar.com/nets/squaremesh.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back