Fall National Twin Nitro Racing Incident

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree to what a lot of boaters have said. Although I haven't raced nitro boats in a while I still carry a lot of nitro boat parts with me, a nice toolbox full of them. Need a part that I've got? It's yours. Many boaters have made to move to gas from nitro or the other way around, some run both so you can't say that gas boat racers won't help a nitro racer or vice-versa.

I've run both Nitro and Gas over the past 25 years. Absolutely no difference between the racers. Some people like to help and others keep to themselves.
Yes there are good guys in every form of endeavor . This was true sportsmanship at it's best , always great to help a fellow buddy out in time of need . I honestly thought Don was going to pack it up after the incident but true grit by all involved was displayed !! Great job guys !

Yep, many nitro boaters became Gas boaters. It's not the guys that cause the arguments on the drivers stand at the races. It's is the boats themselves and the CD's inability to score the heats properly....and that's only because they are human!

8 boats hit the start side by side. 7 boats finish and KNOWONE knows who started or finished in what position.

It's time for R/C boat racers to get serious and look into an electronic lap counting system.

Many times I have seen it work very well at the NAVIGA World Championships.

It will keep everyone Happy & Smiling!

Yep, many nitro boaters became Gas boaters. It's not the guys that cause the arguments on the drivers stand at the races. It's is the boats themselves and the CD's inability to score the heats properly....and that's only because they are human!

8 boats hit the start side by side. 7 boats finish and KNOWONE knows who started or finished in what position.

It's time for R/C boat racers to get serious and look into an electronic lap counting system.

Many times I have seen it work very well at the NAVIGA World Championships.

It will keep everyone Happy & Smiling!

Remember testing the AMB system at Joe's place in the 90's?
default_smile.png

Great idea to use an AMB system. Maybe a new thread needs to be started for this subject. This thread was started to show what civility is and I

Applaud the contestants that practice it.

Nails

John Brown can simply work miracles with bottle of zap! It's this kind of camaraderie that make this hobby so great.....

Hi All

Now that Is all over and had time to think about the race, a incident came to mind.

I felt it needed to be shared.

I cant remember which heat #, but was a twin heat.

On shore incident perspective

Don Ferrette and Charles Siler were coming around turn 3 and 4 when it "appeared" that Don cut off Charles.

Damage was done to both boats.

Don had a huge hole in the tub and Charle's left sponson and tube were ripped off and torn up.

The Cd's proceeded to disqualify Don for cutting hm off.

This is the best part ..... Charles stepped in and said it wasn't Don's fault and that he had problems with his steering. As you can imagine both sides are upset, but not one bad word was said.. True Sportsmanship on both sides,Kudos.

The Aftermath

Don in true racer fashion didn't complain, He put his head down and proceeded to fix his boat and I believe even offered to help Charles, but guess what..Charles had help!!.

Stu Barr Stepped in and provided a set of Crapshooter Sponsons (keep in mind that they are all running the same class) Classic case of sportsmanship.

While Charles is figuring out how to get a set of Crapshooter sponsons on his SGX (that's kinda funny all by itself) here comes Andy Brown to the rescue!!

Andy grabs the sponson and rebuilds it in his trailer and gets it back to Charles for the next heat,Again a Classic case of sportsmanship.

I just wanted to share my story and reiterated why I love this hobby so much.

Thanks for reading

Tim
Like Andy just said it was John B. who did the most of the boat repair,the whole Brown family are great at what they do. I broke my 45 SG rig in half at Atl. one year. David Showers Jr. fished the back half of the boat from the bottom of pond,and John B. some how put her back together and the boat one 1st place with a perfect 1600 points. Long story short,there are some GREAT people in R/C boating in all parts,Gas Nitro,Electric,etc.

John Brown can simply work miracles with bottle of zap! It's this kind of camaraderie that make this hobby so great.....

Hi All

Now that Is all over and had time to think about the race, a incident came to mind.

Don Ferrette and Charles Siler were coming around turn 3 and 4 when it "appeared" that Don cut off Charles.

Don had a huge hole in the tub and Charle's left sponson and tube were ripped off and torn up.

This is the best part ..... Charles stepped in and said it wasn't Don's fault and that he had problems with his steering. As you can imagine both sides are upset, but not one bad word was said.. True Sportsmanship on both sides,Kudos.

The Aftermath

Don in true racer fashion didn't complain, He put his head down and proceeded to fix his boat and I believe even offered to help Charles, but guess what..Charles had help!!.

Stu Barr Stepped in and provided a set of Crapshooter Sponsons (keep in mind that they are all running the same class) Classic case of sportsmanship.

While Charles is figuring out how to get a set of Crapshooter sponsons on his SGX (that's kinda funny all by itself) here comes Andy Brown to the rescue!!

Andy grabs the sponson and rebuilds it in his trailer and gets it back to Charles for the next heat,Again a Classic case of sportsmanship.

Thanks for reading

Tim
Like Andy just said it was John B. who did the most of the boat repair,the whole Brown family are great at what they do. I broke my 45 SG rig in half at Atl. one year. David Showers Jr. fished the back half of the boat from the bottom of pond,and John B. some how put her back together and the boat one 1st place with a perfect 1600 points. Long story short,there are some GREAT people in R/C boating in all parts,Gas Nitro,Electric,etc.
Total my fault,Obviously for the major credit not going to John on the sponson repair.

Should have paid more attention, Sorry John Brown. Credit due !!!!

On the other hand, it still represents the comradely,even in the most competitive environment.

It was one of many experiences I have encountered at a event.

This one just stuck with me.

Hi All

The Aftermath

Thanks for reading

Tim
Total my fault,Obviously for the major credit not going to John on the sponson repair.

Should have paid more attention, Sorry John Brown. Credit due !!!!

On the other hand, it still represents the comradely,even in the most competitive environment.

It was one of many experiences I have encountered at a event.

This one just stuck with me.
And lets not forget the racers wives, glue my fingers together at Hobart with CA and Don F's wife Shelly went to Dollar Store for nail polish remover. Would have walked around looking like I was burning one.
default_biggrin.png
Saved my butt.
default_cool.png

Don had Charles sign the boat where the damage was. It really was a memorable moment. No hard feelings, helping and even having a little fun with it.

I was honored to be around such great people.
Charlie and I became good friends that weekend and the patch panel with his signature will remain on the tub as it gets hung on the retirement wall of fame (new tub being built this winter). Not sure why that particular corner judge called the infraction on me initially as a number of folks commented afterwards on how Charlie's SGX twin was not holding in the corner and sliding out hard when his left sponson punched the hole in the right side of my tub. After myself, Charlie's pit man Scott Miller and finally Charlie himself setting the record straight with the CD the call was ultimately corrected. With the assistance of Anthony Black's stash of scrap wood and 5 minute West Systems and Josh Black finding some rather large clamps repairs began. We did have fun getting Charlie to autograph the patch job and many got a good laugh at it. Good times with good people is what it's all about and we had fun in Charleston.
default_smile.png
The "Sign" says it all!! Boat racers are a cool bunch!
default_smile.png

Back on topic!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back