F1 gas outboards, inboards a better option ??????

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Bontoft

Wow! 43cc.

Jerry D. have you seen this? I think a G260 in a little smaller tunnel would be an interesting class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! 43cc.

You must remember too...those boats in the video are using standard strut and rudders like every other cat/hydro. The Gas tunnels have a big heavy motor out back to be turning, in which everyone with them has been finding out it takes ALOT of power (1200+oz at least!) to get them through the turns.

Im sure as the guys like Wayne who have them get some more serious testing done, they will be showing better results.

I agree. This inboard design runs better than any gas outboard I have seen . The boats still retain a very realistic ride and they handle like the big boys. With the complexity of the gas outboard design this could be a more successful big tunnel approach. I think the scale appearance on the water and the simple design incorporating readily available components outweighs the not a real outboard argument. Some things just don't scale well.

Mike

I agree. This inboard design runs better than any gas outboard I have seen . The boats still retain a very realistic ride and they handle like the big boys. With the complexity of the gas outboard design this could be a more successful big tunnel approach. I think the scale appearance on the water and the simple design incorporating readily available components outweighs the not a real outboard argument. Some things just don't scale well.Mike
Mike, you're right they don't scale well at all. They look good on the shelf, but they are not a user friendly toy. I put more time into mine than it would take to build and setup 10 smaller tunnel boats. I enjoy a challenge as much as anyone, but I had to put mine away for a while before I just left it floating with it's belly to the sky forever.

Hi all tunnel boaters OB or IB,

Just wondering whether this will work for Gas OB.

I have managed to turn my 11cc outboard tunnel on a dime even when coming hot into the turn with just a standard servo and a trick set up i figured out cause I couldn't afford the powerful metal gear servos in those days.

Using the same trick set up, will the more powerful servos turn that gas OB tunnel on a dime without spinning and barrel rolling ?

My current set up on my IB tunel is still on standard servo and I have trashed it hard in the turn. The old servo that I used withstood the hard turning test. It gets me to thinking that it's not base on the servo only

Could it be due to the tunnel configuration ?

GALLERY LINK

The white boat in the gallery I've posted a link for is actually an inboard powered by a Zenoah. The blue boat is a Zenoah sitting on top of a GMorty lower.

GALLERY LINKThe white boat in the gallery I've posted a link for is actually an inboard powered by a Zenoah. The blue boat is a Zenoah sitting on top of a GMorty lower.
HI guys, an interesting topic, very close to my heart.

The reality is, if it is not an outboard, it is not an outboard

My name is Dominic Young from Youngz Performance Craft in sunny South Africa.

I have been involved in developing, building and racing gas F1 tunnels for a number of years now an can tell you that they do work very well.

We run stock Zenoah outfits at speeds of 90-95kmh around a off shore style course with tight 90 degree plus turns. some old footage on U-Tube Dominic F1 gas tunnel.

A major part of the struggle over the years has been the turning geometry which is effected when the pivot pin is adjusted either negative or positive. This struggle has been emphasised even more so with the use of the larger gas legs.

For more info check out the explanation on our website under accessories/ lawless mod. www.youngzrcboats.com

Racing a true outboard is addictive. It is as much of a rush pushing the envelope around a course all on ones own, as it is racing against some serious competition.

Controlling the third dimension "flight" is what makes it what it is "On the Edge racing"

redup.JPG

GALLERY LINKThe white boat in the gallery I've posted a link for is actually an inboard powered by a Zenoah. The blue boat is a Zenoah sitting on top of a GMorty lower.
HI guys, an interesting topic, very close to my heart.

The reality is, if it is not an outboard, it is not an outboard

My name is Dominic Young from Youngz Performance Craft in sunny South Africa.

I have been involved in developing, building and racing gas F1 tunnels for a number of years now an can tell you that they do work very well.

We run stock Zenoah outfits at speeds of 90-95kmh around a off shore style course with tight 90 degree plus turns. some old footage on U-Tube Dominic F1 gas tunnel.

A major part of the struggle over the years has been the turning geometry which is effected when the pivot pin is adjusted either negative or positive. This struggle has been emphasised even more so with the use of the larger gas legs.

For more info check out the explanation on our website under accessories/ lawless mod. www.youngzrcboats.com

Racing a true outboard is addictive. It is as much of a rush pushing the envelope around a course all on ones own, as it is racing against some serious competition.

Controlling the third dimension "flight" is what makes it what it is "On the Edge racing"
Hi Dominic,

Please to meet you here. An interesting topic close to my heart and soul as well. :D :D :D

If there is no delay in transportation, you might be able to see my tunnel in person at the forthcoming TOC in SA

She was designed to take OB but the owner wants to run with IB so she was set up that way

Here are a couple of pics for your viewing. Also have a few lips on Utube and please be my guest at this link

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv1/BodyguardF1boat/

Regards

Latiff

DSC00280.jpg

New_build_for_SA_001.jpg

Hi Body Guard, good to meet you.

Im sorry I wont be at the TOC as it is a inboard affair "Outboards are truly my thing"

I can assure that with some due dilligence the gas outboards run very well, but like all new things, it has taken some time on the water to figure it out, time well worth it.

Check out 'Dominics Gas Tunnel " on U-tube of some outdated film to see our tunnel running and turning( with No addock fins, stumble blocks etc) , this before we realised that the trim adjustment need be independant of the pivot pin angle, which in the case of the Gas outboard units is emphasised 10 fold due to there size.

Stay in touch and continue to "Have a Gas'

Regards

Dominic

Youngz Performance Craft.

Hi Body Guard, good to meet you.Im sorry I wont be at the TOC as it is a inboard affair "Outboards are truly my thing"

I can assure that with some due dilligence the gas outboards run very well, but like all new things, it has taken some time on the water to figure it out, time well worth it.

Check out 'Dominics Gas Tunnel " on U-tube of some outdated film to see our tunnel running and turning( with No addock fins, stumble blocks etc) , this before we realised that the trim adjustment need be independant of the pivot pin angle, which in the case of the Gas outboard units is emphasised 10 fold due to there size.

Regards

Dominic

Thanks for the response Dominic. Would you believe it OB was my thing with full scale scratch built tunnel for SST 60 (F3) and 11 cc OB in the past and definitely still is now. I have to go where my pocket can take me at the moment. But Gas OB will be there for me. My tunnel for OB as you can see from the pic in my earlier post was able to turn on a dime at full throttle and believe me it was only with standard servo and a little trick set up for reason mentioned. My question is would the giant servo be able to turn the OB Gas the same way as the standard servo did with the 11cc OB tunnel. Just thinking a little further, is it not in the design of the hull while the servo and the trick set up just help along ? My Zen IB tunnel can still turn 180 at WOT on flat water and prop drag application in choppy waters with only standard servo. I can't say how fast my hull is going and yet can still make such turns everytime, but I believe it was going as fast as a stock Zen motor can push her. Anyway, just a thought that you might be able to share and shed some light on.

The pleasure is mine meeting you here.

Regards

Latiff.

Hi Body Guard, good to meet you.Im sorry I wont be at the TOC as it is a inboard affair "Outboards are truly my thing"

Regards

Dominic

Thanks for the response Dominic. Would you believe it OB was my thing with full scale scratch built tunnel for SST 60 (F3) and 11 cc OB in the past and definitely still is now. I have to go where my pocket can take me at the moment. But Gas OB will be there for me. My tunnel for OB as you can see from the pic in my earlier post was able to turn on a dime at full throttle and believe me it was only with standard servo and a little trick set up for reason mentioned. My question is would the giant servo be able to turn the OB Gas the same way as the standard servo did with the 11cc OB tunnel. Just thinking a little further, is it not in the design of the hull while the servo and the trick set up just help along ? My Zen IB tunnel can still turn 180 at WOT on flat water and prop drag application in choppy waters with only standard servo. I can't say how fast my hull is going and yet can still make such turns everytime, but I believe it was going as fast as a stock Zen motor can push her. Anyway, just a thought that you might be able to share and shed some light on.

The pleasure is mine meeting you here.

Regards

Latiff.
Here are a couple of pics for the one that is going to Sunny SA.

New_build_for_SA_008.jpg

New_build_for_SA_007.jpg

Hi Body Guard

With reguards to the steering servo's I have found that 2 linked Hitec 805BB servo's work well running a 'Y" lead with a good 6V high amp battery pack.

One of the set backs with the hitec servo in its design is that the 4 diodes that are soldered to the PC board tend to vibrate loose after some time so a good "Proven and Tested measure" is to open the servo, remove the electronic set up from the servo housing, using a Hot Gun, pot the diodes together with hot glue which supports one another and prevents them from breaking off the PC board.

Hi Body GuardWith reguards to the steering servo's I have found that 2 linked Hitec 805BB servo's work well running a 'Y" lead with a good 6V high amp battery pack.

One of the set backs with the hitec servo in its design is that the 4 diodes that are soldered to the PC board tend to vibrate loose after some time so a good "Proven and Tested measure" is to open the servo, remove the electronic set up from the servo housing, using a Hot Gun, pot the diodes together with hot glue which supports one another and prevents them from breaking off the PC board.
Hi there Dominic.

Thanks very much for the info on the Hitech servos. I can't afford one let alone two. hahaha. However I have applied the link system in the old days of my earliy nitro OB days with standard servos, but they don't last. I can't afford to keep buying new servos so had to figure out something. Base on basic physics of the servo strength plus adjustable dampers on the outside of the transom, I succeeded in turning the hull at high speed without fear of oversteering and going into a spin. The huge Futaba servo became available later and that made life easier. While fiddling with off road rc buggies in my younger days, the setting on the front wheels were toe out for better turning capabilities. I caught on to this and applied them in my tunnel designs and have never change to other ideas as this proves to be what I need to ease the stress on the servos. After being led into the turn by initial input of the servos for the tight turns at WOT, the hull should be able to hold it self to the set degree of turn and counter steering input on the servo is needed to point the nose in the right direction for the next turn pin. This far it has proven to work well for me that I don't have to spend on expensive servos and yet still assured that my tunnel can still outurn the others at our local races. But I'm sure you have your own methods of overcoming the steering woes in OB gas tunnel.

Since getting into tunnel boat racing rc or full full scale bak in 87, I have never really like running other hull but tunnel as the "third dimension " is a sure thriller to address.

Cheers.

Body Guard.

Here's a P.I. from the late 80's. Boat was a blast to drive and run real well.

56" long. All kinds of problems with keeping gears in the lower unit. Sad to see it just die out.

I've got a red top with white bottom hull hanging in the shed. HUMMMMM,maybe??????

You know this is old,Heck back then the Zenoah G2D was the hot motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, what an awesome looking rig.

With regards to the gear drive breaking, I am sure that is a given, considering the power transfered through them.

However many, including myself, have realised the need to sacrifice the scale look for the more effective and efficient "Affordable" flex shaft type drives which we have now got working to satisfaction.

I would encourage you dust the boat off, change the leg aand get back on the water to enjoy the thing you love best. "Outboard Tunnel hull racing"

Regards

Dominc

Back