esc for HV

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gil sonsino

Well I'm about to finish a new rigger and still as newbie to Fe would like to hear from you what do you recomend for esc for a Leo 4082 1400kv to run on 8/9S.I was thinking of the Swordfish 240A.Please comments with pros & cons Thanks Gill

The swordfish 240 is nice but its the same as the turnigy aquastar 240 both heifei products so save some coin at HK if you can. Ben at fightercat has some very nice esc's. Then you step into the castles and the schulze and on up the $$$$$ scale.My 2 castles thus far have been flawless and one has taken a 360 amp burst and laughed at it. They do cost a little more but they have the datalogging and a nice programming front end on the pc. Money wise it will be hard to beat the SF/turnigy 240 but ben at fightercat may can check him out too!

Hugh

Not trying to cause any drama, but you might want to hold off on ordering anything from Fightercat for now. Ben is no longer there and a bunch of people on OSE are saying that they are not getting what they have ordered. Just a heads up.

I like the data logging of the Castles.

Whoa! Ben was doing good business wonder if he over extended himself <_< . Hope not he had a good thing going......

Yes i understand theirs all sorts of infighting going on at Fightercat so i would hold back on orders untill things are sorted.

The new Castle's with data logging are fantastic. With a free ship e-mail and a discount coupon they are reasonably priced from Tower.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm about to finish a new rigger and still as newbie to Fe would like to hear from you what do you recomend for esc for a Leo 4082 1400kv to run on 8/9S.I was thinking of the Swordfish 240A.Please comments with pros & cons Thanks Gill
Gil, Are you building a heat racer? If so that motor has too much kv for 8-9S and she is going to get hot real quick. You'll want to keep the no load RPM in the neighborhood of 30k unless you're doing record trials.

Gil if you have the motor parameters I can run them and give you an idea of what it will do in theory youll still have to test and tweak.

with 9 cell u are talking high 50k rpm.....a bit too much for that motor...id go for 6cell with a 1400kv motor myself just my 2 cents

Sorry guys forgot to say for SAW! Well the Leo 1400kv is good for 8S with 3500w and 110A continuos .I was thinking to get the Turnigy 240A but its backordered now.Gill

I havent played with the high voltage controllers yet but have been happy with the Castle Ice and Fightercat controllers for my 4S-6S record trials boats. As mentioned above, the gang at Fightercat is having issues right now but hopefully they will be resolved quickly. If you consider Castle, the the Ice series is rather bulky and if space is tight in your rigger, getting it to fit could be a problem.

Well I made some bench tests with the 130A with a Leo 4074 2000kv and seems a good combination as this motor delivers continuos 104A but for the 4082 I'll wait HK have the 240A in stock.I do know that a little load on these motors push the Amps really up!.Chilli you're right the Jae Fe is very tight for the Castle.Thanks guys Gill

dont know what the price difference is between hk's turnigy or OSE SF but you will likely get better customer support from OSE, hate to say it but its true. When it comes to selling Steve does run a reputable store.If you ever have a return issue HK may or may not help you fast. Ive been honored on all returns but man they take a long time to do it. With Steve you wont go through that. Just a thought! On the bench what are you loading the motors with?

I have Bens cell Ill write him and try to find out whats what with FC racing hold off before you purchase that turnigy Gil. Ben can offer you something for a fair price that will work with you through all your possible experiments. Who knows this might be a time to scavenge at FC sorry but someone gotta take advantage if there possibly liquidating.

Hugh

Last edited:
Sorry guys forgot to say for SAW! Well the Leo 1400kv is good for 8S with 3500w and 110A continuos...
That motor will pull far more than 110A continuous in a SAW setup. And with those tiny motor wires it won't last long at high amp draw....unless you are very careful and don't try to go fast too quickly. On 8S that motor can pull a lot of amps during acceleration, any motor with a loaded rpm over 35,000 will. Some of the Swordfish 240s work fine, but I saw two of them give up a the LA SAWs last Fall. Remember, no more than two passes with a hot SAW setup and then bring 'er in....

I guess what people dont realize Jay, is the motors can pull as many amps as you want them too but they have a continuous rating that ensures longevity and efficiency. I always look for a safe peak by taking the manufacturers continuous numbers and mutiplying it by 1.41. I think its a safe practice as the manufacturers take there continuous ratings with no water cooling etc. On 9s with that leo you could expect amps spikes in excess of 200.The main thing is start with a smaller diameter props run and read the data then go back at it again. If you can run dual water cooling lines try it may help out some at least seperates for the esc and one for the motor. Heat transfer is greatest when the two temps are most opposite. Running warm water that already went over your esc over your motor aint all that great in my opinion. Ice reservoir may be a way to saw harder in FE. For nitros some water regulation(smaller exit oriface) may be needed as they like a certain running temp but in fe an ice reservoir in front of the esc can help in theory.High current Fets can handle alot more if you can sucessfully keep them under 120 F.

Last edited:
I used a slot car tire adapted to the shaft to produce some load with the 4074 and I could see amps running up really fast something around 160A so I guess a 4082 will surpass 200A easily.I heard you Jay all my previous tests were very safe and temps were around 55C for esc/motor and battery nanotech 45C after two passes..Hugh I was talking to some ductfan airplane guys and they say it is safe raise your number to 1.60 but I don't know how they get this data.Anyway I think this discussion is nice and can clear some doubts that helps some of us to save bucks for sure.Thanks Gill

Gil I got a "this account is no longer monitored message " when I tried to contact bens phone so... Go on and grab your SF or your turnigy aquastar 240. I have never used one but many have successfully. After making the switch to the castle Ice I dont see myself going anywhere else unless its a schulze, ,jetispin 300, or MGM. Have you looked at the etti's they make a quality 200 hv esc for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Thanks Hugh I''ve been following the dispute at OSE forum so I will get a try to the Aquastar 240A that many people have said is a good one for this project.

Gil make it easy on yourself and make sure you get the usb programming dongle. 100 percent sure programming makes you feel more confortable about not ruining your esc. If you got the room id throw a few thousand micofarads of capacitance in there for added punch. I always have some extra capacitance in my boats - I just feel safer that way.caps.JPG If space is limited get a few larger like 4 1000 uf's go for the low ESR 105c degress rating 63 volt or better. For all my hv stuff I use 100 volt caps. 63 volts would work but I plan on running a 16-20s lipo esc sometime in the near future for out of the box projects!

Last edited:
Back