epoxy and painting?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaso

Hi all .

I've just started to seal the wood on my next boat using an epoxy similar to west systems as I have done before. In the past, I have then had my boats primed and painted in auto two pack paint.

For this boat I wanted to try to keep the weight to a minimum so I was thinking of just sealing as required and then adding some flames or somthing like that to the front of the sponsons and tub.

What I'm unsure of is can I apply paint directly to the epoxy or will it still have to be primed ?

I thought that after sealed and painted I could just then get some two pack clear put over the top to ensure the fuel won't get into the boat or take off my perdy flames. :D

I'm not too knowledgable with paints and just wondered if anyone could give me some advice ?

Jason.

Paint will go directly over epoxy, but the finish quality will likely suffer with out the primer to smooth everything out. If you are carefull and get enough epoxy on to totally fill the grain and sand it smooth your plan will work fine. I do this same treatment on my rigger sponsons.

Mark

as long as it is sanded to take off the gloss and give it tooth for the paint to stick to it is fine. As Mark says though without primer to smooth things out flaws will really show.

Thanks Mark and Mike. So I'll have to make sure the epoxy has totally filled the grain before I can even look at it with paint. It's ok as I'm not in a rush to get this boat done so I can take my time and get it all good for the paint.

Thanks again,

Jason. :D

Latest posts

Back