engine cleaning

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Lauer

Supporting Member
I recently picked up some boating stuff, and in with it I found a bunch of K&b 21 parts. I was cleaning them in a ultra sonic cleaner with simple green and water with a small amount of degreaser. I left them in it not running all night. When I went back to it the parts were black. I have tried tumbling them in a rock polisher, that didnt work. Has anyone else had this problum? any ideas how to remove the black coloring from the aluminum? Thanks in advance

If you leave alu too long in it they discolor. I put them in max 15 minutes at moderate temp (hand temperature) and rinse well after..
There was a topic on sonic cleaners about 3 months ago., you might want to reference that also..

what paul said.. OUTSIDE!.. home run..

Simple Green, Purple Power and all the rest.. got that t-shirt!

Grim

I used the antifreez a long time ago and the parts turned black. I left it turned on at about 200 degrees and thay were black in the morning. I think the mistake is I used my well water, now I use disteled water. I think this time I might have to much simple green and cleaner. (I hope).

I recently picked up some boating stuff, and in with it I found a bunch of K&b 21 parts. I was cleaning them in a ultra sonic cleaner with simple green and water with a small amount of degreaser. I left them in it not running all night. When I went back to it the parts were black. I have tried tumbling them in a rock polisher, that didnt work. Has anyone else had this problum? any ideas how to remove the black coloring from the aluminum? Thanks in advance
Was it just simple green or Simple green “D” ?

I was using straight Simple Green "D" in the super sonic but never left it over night. After a few cycles I just wash it with warm water and dawn soap. Never had it turn black.

I had the issue of aluminum parts turning dark grey in the Ultra Sonic using Dawn dishwashing detergent, but I did have a lot of soap added.
Never anything but excellent results using
Palmolive in any concentration however.

F2FF5659-E1E3-491D-B076-7E27D45793F8.jpeg

Thanks,

Ronnie King
NAMBA #1223

With the antifreeze/ crockpot approach, has anyone contemplated the difference between orange and green antifreeze- the organic vs. inorganic acid differential- and in the 50/50 recipe, using distilled water?...
The DexCool (GM) variant will not corrode our aluminum castings, and any off gassing from 200° in a crockpot seems like it would be less noxious.
Just a thought, as we're going to give this a shot with our old Picco's and CMB's.
Thanks.

Works d*** good and I've run the motors afterwards doesn't affect any gaskets or rubber. I purchased the motors from other members that have been set up for years breaks them loose and they're smooth as silk.purdy too.

No excessive foaming in the USC with Palmolive or Dawn, its just that the Dawn darkened the aluminum parts for me at least. Might have had too much detergent in it though.

Best Of Luck,

Ronnie King
NAMBA #1223

I used the antifreez a long time ago and the parts turned black. I left it turned on at about 200 degrees and thay were black in the morning. I think the mistake is I used my well water, now I use disteled water. I think this time I might have to much simple green and cleaner. (I hope).

you need to use the concentrate, not the pre mixed stuff...I made that mistake also. but the concentrate version fixed them up again :)

Hi Gary,
You cannot have water in the crock pot (slow cooker).
Just run it again over night OUTSIDE with engine coolant concentrate. Should fix the black stuff added from when you used the stuff with water in it.

Cheers

Back