electric motor numbers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael defrain

What do the numbers mean when I see a motor as the aqua craft ul-1" 36-56-2030kv" I kind of understand the 2030kv as the killa volts size of the motor what is the rest?? I'm thinking of building my own Hydro from scratch. The Ul-1 looks good but I don't like the 60amp ecs and am looking to get into the Hi 60s low 70s any help would be nice.

36 = can diameter 56 = can length

Nothing wrong with the UL-1 motor/esc's...great for limited setups...however, I wouldn't count on this setup getting many boats into the high 60's, low 70's...

I would reccomend doing some research before diving into anything you do not understand....OffshoreElectrics forums offers a wealth of info from people just learning to people using racing setups and beyond...

When I did my first build, I would lay in bed and my head would spin thinking about all the information I was absorbing. Its really tough for a new FE'er to pick a motor and prop based on the numbers. All things being equal, some manufactures tend to fudge their numbers. Also higher quality motors will have higher efficiency which equates to more power going to the prop and less heat build up in the motor. At this point It would be much easier for you if you let us know exactly what type and sized hull you want to use and whether you want to run for fun or race. Battery space can be limited in riggers so that has to be taken into consideration when coming up with a hardware suggestion based on your expectation for speed and run time. So give us some more info and we can steer you in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of building my own Hydro from scratch. The Ul-1 looks good but I don't like the 60amp ecs and am looking to get into the Hi 60s low 70s any help would be nice.
I strongly recommend that you build from plans or a kit rather than design your own hydro. Getting a successful 70 mph hydro is more than just a motor. There are a number of good kits available for various sizes and types of hydros. The easiest way to get 70 mph will be with a JAE 21FE rigger kit. A 1415/2200 Kv 4S combo will get 70 without much sweat. For "scale-like" hydros the kits by ML Boatworks are very good, several club members race them with great success.

The Jae Fe kit is a great boat to start on Fe and with a UL motor(50's).I agree that a sucessfull design depends on lot of diferent factors than a Strong motor.The Jae kit was my very first Fe experience with a Leopard motor and since that I became addicted.Again take your time and hear what was said here.Gill

Yes Gil.....the JAE 21 FE was also my first real elec. boat....raced it right after I built it...very fun rigger!

By Can Diameter and can Length I am assuming you mean the size of the motor, thanks Hotwater. This build will be for fun only I have a small lake up north and last year I put a traxas truck motor in a aquacraft wildcat it did very well but the torque wanted to flip it over :)it was in the high 40s I'm sure. I was thinking of going with a hydro because of the space as National Racer said Battery space can be limited in rigger and I really was not interested in building a Hull. It seems you all like this Jae fe rigger Kit. All in all my goal is to hit 60 with a boat for fun. Have not made any dissensions yet just research

Michael if the dimensions of your water are limited you can also get a try to the mini Jae that runs superbly and makes tigh turns.I built one for a friend with little mods using a car motor and this tiny boat really turns heads.Hope you enjoy your boating as most of us.Greetings from Brazil Gill

Last edited by a moderator:
By Can Diameter and can Length I am assuming you mean the size of the motor, thanks Hotwater. This build will be for fun only I have a small lake up north and last year I put a traxas truck motor in a aquacraft wildcat it did very well but the torque wanted to flip it over :)it was in the high 40s I'm sure. I was thinking of going with a hydro because of the space as National Racer said Battery space can be limited in rigger and I really was not interested in building a Hull. It seems you all like this Jae fe rigger Kit. All in all my goal is to hit 60 with a boat for fun. Have not made any dissensions yet just research
Welcome Michael

JAE Riggers = Fast Quickly..... and with low cost as you will learn. Get one in the water have some fun then build one of your own design. That way you can be having fun with a boat that runs good all the time until you get yours built. This is what has worked well for me over the years I always have one boat ready to run. Best of luck.

Mike

Back