Electric help - VFD.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
Good thing I never wanted to do anything that involves electrons.

Trying to install a VFD on my new lathe (Emco Super 11), saw it run with the unit so I know it works.

I get the motor side, but I need to input 220v single phase from the panel. I know a dryer is 220v and has a double breaker with 2 "hots" (110v ea, red/black), and a neutral (white), plus ground.

Here's the page from my manual:

VFD_zpsd3fdffb8.jpg

It only has 2 input wires. What do i use?
default_blink.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Trying to install a VFD on my new lathe (Emco Super 11), saw it run with the unit so I know it works.

I get the motor side, but I need to input 220v single phase from the panel. I know a dryer is 220v and has a double breaker with 2 "hots" (110v ea, red/black), and a neutral (white), plus ground.

VFD_zpsd3fdffb8.jpg

default_blink.png
Hi, Terry! Why you ask for 220 input? According to manual you need only 115 V input to power supply - two wires only! So, use black wire fo L/R and white to N/S. The ground will be green or bare cooper. Good Luck. Boris

Terry,

Like Boris said it is only supposed to have 115 going to it. I've never seen a 3 phase motor run off a 115 single phase power supply though.

Terry,

Like Boris said it is only supposed to have 115 going to it. I've never seen a 3 phase motor run off a 115 single phase power supply though.
the VFD outputs 3-phase AC but at a fairly low power level.

Boris, all that warning says is that if you have a unit meant for 115VAC don't give it 230VAC. unfortunately the wording of that sheet is British English, so they may be assuming for 230 VAC that you have mains power the same way as Europe- 230VAC hot, a neutral, and safety ground (earth.) It may not be able to work with the typical US residential 240VAC which is 120 VAC hot, 120 VAC Hot' (inverted phase,) neutral, and safety ground.

Terry,

This ASC aimed to small <2.2 kWa motors and drain from 115 V only 22 A. Any fuse rated 25-30 A will work well. Boris

VFD_zpsd3fdffb8.jpg

default_blink.png
Hi, Terry! Why you ask for 220 input? According to manual you need only 115 V input to power supply - two wires only! So, use black wire fo L/R and white to N/S. The ground will be green or bare cooper. Good Luck. Boris
Hi, Terry! be sure if your unit rated to 110 V or 220 V. For 110 V you have to use black and white wire, for 220 - black and red (like for dryer). And always use ground wire! You can call me 901 233-6110. Boris

The unit is for 230vac+/- 10%. By using a two pole breaker you will have the correct voltage just like your dryer or the two power terminals on the dryer plug in. The ground/neutral is connected to the neutral bar in the electrical panel or if you are using the dryer plug in the ground terminal. The power wiring will connect to the L/R N/S terminals and the ground will connect to the ground terminal that can be seen on the right side of VF

I have never seen a motor for 115v three phase not that it could not be done but know of no power in the world that uses any 3 phase power less than 200v. if you read down that the motor must be a nominal voltage of 200 to 240V. And you can not get that from a drive with 115v connected to it.

Now what is the motor data name plate that the drive will connect to?

Thanks for the replys. It's definitely 220v single phase in and 220v 3 phase out, I got model 07A6-2:

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10068/ABB-ACS55-Users-Guide.pdf

I get the motor side but I'm looking at 3 wires to my dryer, 2 hot (red/black) and a neutral (white).

The manual doesn't say what L/R and N/S mean.
default_sad.png
L/R and N/S means BLACK and RED. Boris

Oh, well that makes total sense!

Why isn't "L = line" & "N= neutral"?
default_rolleyes.gif

So if that's correct, what do I do with the neutral (white) wire?

Hi Terry,

Here in the US the 3 wires plus ground make up standard 220/230V lines. In the breaker panel the ground and neutral are connected to the same buss in the panel. When you put a volt meter across 2 of the power wires out of a 230V circuit you will read 220/230V, if you select the other wire and one of the original 2 to check voltage you will read 110V. This is how you find the neutral leg of the typical 3 wire 220/230V circuit. Call me if you want 586-747-2372.

John

So just to be sure (I don't want to let the magic smoke out of this thing).

I connect one hot line (110v black) to L/R, and the other hot line (110v red) to N/S? The neutral (white wire) isn't used?

What the hell does L/R & N/S stand for anyway?

I see this problem all the time. To many letters trying to cover all countries wiring practices. Drop the letters L and N. With this you have R and S. If you had a three phase drive the letters would be R - S - T. So hook your line 240 volts wires to R and S. Use the other wire for the ground. Now in most systems around the ground and the neutral are the same. And from any one of the two hot poles you will read 120v to ground or neutral.

Now is your motor a 3 phase motor?

So just to be sure (I don't want to let the magic smoke out of this thing).

I connect one hot line (110v black) to L/R, and the other hot line (110v red) to N/S? The neutral (white wire) isn't used?

What the hell does L/R & N/S stand for anyway?
Terry, hire a Lic. Lecky. Fire in the wire is something you don't mess with. OMHO

Thanks. At least the letters make sense to someone.

I finally got someone in US tech support, said he "thought" that's how it should be. Couldn't show me in any manual where it said that or knew what the letters meant.

Motor is 220v three phase, got good Germano/English for that part!

I'll hook it up tonight and report back.

There are all kind of numbering systems. FYI

1 - 2 - 3

A - B - C

R - S - T

U - V - W

L1 - L2 - L3

T1 - T2 - T3

Now all of these mean to same thing for a 3 phase system. And the first two numbers/ letters are always used for 240 VAC. And I may have forgot some.

Back