drive dog rule

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

not2bright

i think the drive dop rule is a total pain in the *** it is such a pain to notch out the bottom of the hull to get the strut in. why not make it where we can mount the strut on the back like the octura hardware was made for? some of the namba rules are so stupid. :angry:

Didn't NAMBA change the rule that you can also run the strutt in the rear of the transom?

Bill

I don't think NAMBA has changed the rule on strut placement ...I think it's still under the hull...

This is what I was joking about in one of the other posts. Ever look at the French or other Euro site's?? They bolt them on the back. Would be cool to do and it is a hassle carving up the bottom transoom.

Ah but rules are rules, If ya don't like 'em get involved and make a change. NAMBA is a memeber driven organization It is very easy to get things changed. Last year a group tried to get that rule changed but I think some wording issues got it voted down by the membership.

Mark

Mark,

Good point. The rules really take a lot to be changed I'd gather? Look at A & B-OPC stock (never been changed to match or times) and lack of manufctuers producing stock engines and Sport 40 II as well. It took what, 5 or 6 years to change from the old ringed K&B to something other and that was a hell of a fight.

Mark, have you ever lobbied to get a rule changed? What would I need to do to get the wheels spinning?? Contact NAMBA first or the guys in my club to vote. Not saying I'm gonna go campaining but maybe it's worth a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodney Rules are eazy to wright and submitt...The hard part is for them to vote on them :angry: As for the Sport 2 engine rule there a bunch of engine for that class,The one you thinking about is the Sp 1..And that a long story..But now that been changed and there a few engine that can be used now .. : :D I guess we all tend to complain at one time or an other,and i think that good as long as we complain to the right people and let our voices be heard,so they know that were still here ....But don't let the thought of wrighting a Rule scare you into not doing it,sooner or later some one might just read it :D I have to resumitt the Scale rules we wrote 2 years ago again.....

i think 1/8 scale should be under the hull to keep the scale "look" but sport 20 and 40 arn't so scale the rules are not as strict so why not change it to the back?

In NAMBA Sport classes rules are alos fairly strict too..The only differance is in the painting of the boat and sponsor name on the boat...You can do what you want.. I guess I still like the looks of the strut under the hull,But that me..And I probely still run it under the hull even if the rule was changed to let boaters hang it off the transom.. Just old school :D

Take to heart what Mark Anderson said as he is correct on all counts.

To change a NAMBA rule is very easy.......but you first have to look in the NAMBA rule book to know how to change a rule. That little bit of effort is very difficult for a lot of people.

Then when that is all figured out, you then have to figure out how to get people to vote.

I will say this. On the other listbot there were more posts on the strut subject when it came up for a NAMBA vote than there were total votes on the proposal. Go figure!

It doesn't matter what you think ...................it only matters what you do......

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

Southern California Scale Thunderboat Association

As Al said, read the rule book. But working from memory (which is shorter by the minute) A rule needs to be run on a district level for two years then can be submitted to the national level for a membership vote. Don't quote me on this it has been a while since I read the procedure. Look in the book. But I do know that complaining on a bulletin board does nothing possitive for the sport get involved.

Mark

Al Waters said:
Al Waters displayed sage wisdom when he said:
<snip>

It doesn't matter what you think ...................it only matters what you do......
A man wiser than yours truly once wrote, that when all is said and done, there is always a lot more said than done.

On the strut thing, the fellows in Montreal Quebec decided, at the club level, to accept struts where ever on the Sport 40's. They race amongst themselves so only had to please themselves and the class has flourished.

What would have happened , development wise, if rear struts were disallowed on mono's? The very successful surface drive and the new variety of hull choices would have never flourished. To-day, the surface drive is the most popular. Some might call this progress.

Really, usually only a minority of boaters travel for inter club racing. So what if a club decides to go against the grain and satisfy the wants of that membership. Is that so bad? Case in point - Montreal.

Sometimes rules can be good and at other times. a hindrance. I believe and he will correct me if I am wrong, Al Waters once wrote something to the effect that rules were invented by boater that came in second place.

Myron

this is my second year of boating and i am 16. it is pretty hard for me to get people to listen to me and my club is pretty inconsistent. for me to bring this up to namba and have them listen would take an act of god. our club doesn't care about the strut placement and hasnt for the last couple of years. we run whatever people bring, if you bring a .15 powered miss bud we dont care we will stick you in the sport 20 class. we are all out there to have fun. if there is enough people that want it changed then i might just push for it.

Mr. not2bright,

You need to change your name as you are short changing yourself. If it wasn't for you telling us your age, we would never have known. You being 16 doesn't change the fact that you very much to offer here so speak freely please.

There are districts who run classes that do not 100% follow the rule book, but run because of the popularity in their district. We do it in our own district. Mark may remember a class called Unlimited Lights a few years back. From a NAMBA standpoint, all that means is that we can't set records. We ran the class for a year and it took off real well. We just passed it as a legal class in our district for 2004. We still can't set NAMBA records. If the class appears popular to other districts, the possibilty exists that it could be forwarded to NAMBA for general voting.

Watch the upcoming NAMBA newsletter. You will have an opportunity to express your opinion by voting. And if you feel strongly about a rule proposal, be sure and go out to your other club members and get them to vote. You will gain the respect of many and clear up some of that inconsistancy you refer to.

Mark my word. You have all the makings of a DD............... and then some.

Myron,

You have a very good memory. I did say that the first race was invented by the second boat and the "first" rule was invented by the boater who came in second.

When you have a lot of boaters sharing the same idea like the transom/strut because it works for them, that is good. What is better, is if they share it with others. That is why we vote on proposals and let the majority decide.

The class can "flourish" and be great for Rand D.................the toughest part is getting people out there to vote. That is what we need to concentrate on.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

Southern California Scale Thunderboat Association

We have a simlar rule it states the strut can NOT extend past the transom what alot of member are doing now is mounting the strut brackets on the inside of the transom so you have the convience of transom mount but it still conforms to the rule strut stays under the hull. Ron Van Wagen in MI is the first boater I saw do this.

Hello Guys,

Hanging the strut of the transom would be nice. In electrics we can use any method we like so fine tuning a boat by having the strut a little further back can be a big plus. Makes the boat think it's a little bigger than it really is and adjustments are quick and easy. I can understand the rule for scale but for sport I don't get it?

Paul.

Back