do you think...?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outboardman10

Do you guys think that if i have a digital steering servo and an analoge; throttle servo all running on an AM radio. But my problem is my throttle servo will twitch or keep moving back and forth quickly. I am wondering if the radio's in cars could be doing it.

Would i need to buy a new transmitter and (or) a new servo. I do not have any problems with my tunnel which has both analog servos.

Last edited by a moderator:
My luck has been bad with dig servos in boats, they dont like the water.

And as far as it twitching, I dont think AM is as strong as FM and or PCM.

Tom

My radio box has not gotten wet yet at all so i have not had any problems with the steering servo. It is the throttle im have the problems glitching. I am just thinking the digital servo might be doing it.

Hi Guys!

Is this twitching problem all the time or intermittant? I have a problem sometimes on the bench because the transmitter is too close to the receiver. If your problem is only noticed on the bench or in the pits, lower the TX antenna or keep the TX 5 ft or so away from the boat.

I'm no expert, but this helped me.........

Have fun! Bob the Fool :blink:

Unplug the dig servo and see if it twitches.

Does it twitch when the engine is running?

If it twitchs with the engine running, Put a dremel up to your radio box, the vibration of the dremel will act like a running motor.

It could be in your receiver as well. Have had that happen before.

try another servo and see if its there or goes away.

start going down the line of unplugging things and seeing where its at.

Could be metal on metal causing the glitch, stuffing tube, pipe mount rubbing.

that should give you a good start on what to look for, good luck on finding it, and let us know when you do find it.

Tom

outboardman10 said:
Do you guys think that if i have a digital steering servo and an analoge; throttle servo all running on an AM radio. But my problem is my throttle servo will twitch or keep moving back and forth quickly. I am wondering if the radio's in cars could be doing it.

Would i need to buy a new transmitter and (or) a new servo. I do not have any problems with my tunnel which has both analog servos.
Well this probably isn't the answer you want but I'd dump the AM radio regardless, FM is so much better & for about $100 you're set. And as for the digitals, I've gotten alot of feedback that they don't like moisture or excessive vibration. :unsure:

CJ

Is this twitching problem all the time or intermittant? I have a problem sometimes on the bench because the transmitter is too close to the receiver. If your problem is only noticed on the bench or in the pits, lower the TX antenna or keep the TX 5 ft or so away from the boat.
I'm no expert, but this helped me.........

Have fun! Bob the Fool
I also use AM. The only difference is I don't use digital servos. Like Bob mentioned the only time I have had mine twitch is when the Tx was to close or touching some other piece of metal.

Well this probably isn't the answer you want but I'd dump the AM radio regardless, FM is so much better & for about $100 you're set
I am going to agree with Don. Even though at this moment I am on AM I need new Radios and will be switching to FM

Make sure that you keep your antenna wire away from that digital servo,it can cause some of that twitching you are asking about. Do not use alkaline batteries in one of those battery holders that come with a radio. Spend the extra money and buy a soldered up nicad or nimh pack. Make sure that you use a 6.0 volt pack. The digital servos don't care what kind of radio you are using.

Don Ferrette said:
And as for the digitals, I've gotten alot of feedback that they don't like moisture or excessive vibration. :unsure:
And the others do? Last time I checked most boats go out of their way to prevent moisture and vibration. I guess I've been doing this all wrong. I should be mounting my throttle servo directly to the motor so I can shake it and bath it.

Freshly charged 5 cell nicd Rx packs can cause twitching due to excessive voltage. AM radios work fine until there are other radio signals nearby :rolleyes: , that's the problem with AM. If interference is indeed the culprit, I would think that both servos would twitch. If you say the rudder servo is ok, the problem is likely something other than radio interference.

FWIW, I've only had good experience with digital servos for rudder control in 3 of my boats and can recommend them. They do draw more power though. They seem to work fine for me, even with the whine. I know a lot of guys say they don't like water. Let us know what servos do, and I'll buy them. :blink: Spray a good dielectric protectant on the servo's and receiver's insides to help prevent moisture problems. I've not had any more problems with them than the analog servos. Maybe I've been lucky? Knock on wood! I use PCM receivers.

What type of throttle servo is it? Maybe try swapping out the throttle servo and it may fix the problem. Try swapping the receiver?

Do you think that if I replace the analog servo (throttle) with a digital servo, it will help?

Right now I have a Futaba S2003 servo. I also use the Sanyo 1.2 volt individual batteries (4.8 volts).

outboardman10 said:
Do you think that if I replace the analog servo (throttle) with a digital servo, it will help?Right now I have a Futaba S2003 servo.  I also use the Sanyo 1.2 volt individual batteries (4.8 volts).
If your futaba throttle servo is damaged, then replacing it should fix the problem. If it's working normally, then changing to digital probably won't make a difference, as the problem is something other than the servo. Check the receiver or wiring by swapping if you are able to. Try plugging the throttle servo into the rudder servo jack in the receiver and see if it still glitches. What you want to do is use deductive testing (swap things around) to narrow down to the problem source.

Joe_Knesek said:
Don Ferrette said:
And as for the digitals, I've gotten alot of feedback that they don't like moisture or excessive vibration.  :unsure:
And the others do? Last time I checked most boats go out of their way to prevent moisture and vibration. I guess I've been doing this all wrong. I should be mounting my throttle servo directly to the motor so I can shake it and bath it.
Gee Joe, are you still edgy from that Blackjack thread?? <_<

Perhaps it would have been clearer if I said they seem less tolerant to vibration & moisture than regular servos.

Lighten up a little there buddy. :D

I'm using digital servos for a few years now , had no problems till this year , broke 4 in 3 different boats in 2 weeks . ( i got in every boat atleast two up to three of them )

They eat batteries like hell but working perfect ( unless they brake )

Am : thats old , go to fm , i am using spcm with DS function

Bart

Don Ferrette said:
Gee Joe, are you still edgy from that Blackjack thread?? <_<

Perhaps it would have been clearer if I said they seem less tolerant to vibration & moisture than regular servos.

Lighten up a little there buddy. :D
Just keeping you honest!

Joe_Knesek said:
Don Ferrette said:
Gee Joe, are you still edgy from that Blackjack thread??  <_<

Lighten up a little there buddy.  :D
Just keeping you honest!
Well alrighty then ........... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Went well, squared up with Preston's 20 & I'd say we have two evenly matched boats. It all came down to who had the inside at the start, which I was fortunate enough to do 2 out of 3. Boat is running well, still tweaking it a little. Brought out the twin to have a little fun as the spectators like it when double trouble comes out of the trailer ....... B)

Back