Dick Caspiri and Thunderboat reproductions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.J.West

Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever ordered a 1/8 scale boat from D. Caspiri from Thunderboat Reproduction in the past and never got his boat?

This past December I posted on this forum my issue I had with Mr. Caspiri regarding my boat that I paid for and never recieved. by January 2006, he emailed me "admitting fault and felt he owed me a boat". After we spoke on the phone and after a couple of emails, he assured me that I will get my boat. I asked when it would be finished his response was " In about two or three month". He did tell me that he was involved in other things and that it would be some time. Well over the summer I emailed mr. Caspiri wanting to know how the boat was doing, he would email me back saying that the hull was done, waiting for the deck, stuff like that. That was back in July. Its now September and he has not even once emailed me this entire time to inform me of the boats progress. I have emailed him twice this past week or so, but am waiting for a response. Mr. Caspiri, are you going to keep your side of the deal or not? Can someone please tell me if this is normal with this guy? The boat was not cheap, I gave this fellow a check for about $1500 for a completed '82 Atlas van lines. I do not want to flame anyone in public, after my first post regarding this problem I had it pulled because I was under the strong impression that it was resolved, but I'm the one that forked over good hard earn money for no product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi R.J......I like the picture in your profile.....I'll be running that hull next year in classic unlimited in our district. I'm just waiting for the dummy engine I ordered from Troy in December 2005. I got the boat, waited over 3 months, but Troy does do nice work.....

As for your situation, I've heard of people waiting for as long as 2 years for a caspari hull.....

:lol: Dick has only begun "dicking" with you... :lol: :lol: Pardon the pun! It took me 20+ months, and a $$hit load of phone calls bugging the crap out of him.

I think he has a massive "excuse" board w/your name on it next to the phone and crosses off excuse after excuse becuause I never got the same excuse twice.

The saving grace off Dick is he always delivers.... :lol: ...****, I didn't even mean that pun either.... :lol: :lol:

Hang in their, I had a friend order a boat 6 months before me but I got mine last September, and he still has yet to get his!

If I remember right, your wife (now ex wife) called him and said you were dead. He felt sorry for her and gave her the money back.

If Dick said he will build you one then I am sure he will. You need to cut the guy some slack, he’s building it for free. <_<

I'm still waiting for my boat......... :(

Hey Mr. caspiri....I dont know if you tried to contact me recently, Had problems with my Pc and couldnt check my email at all.

Please P.M. me....

Hey Guys, I just recently picked up from Ebay a "brand new" never been opened Vintage Dumas kit#1304 36" Atlas Van lines U-71!

Ima gonna start work on it this spring and finish it just like the real boat......Wish me luck.....

i order two boats from dick almost 2 1/2 years ago the last time i spoke to him he said they were ready for paint that was three months ago and still no boat. i call him about once a month and he always say there almost done. as for (duck) you might want to look for a fake motor somewere else troy past this last year. I have not heard if anyone else is taking over or making parts from his molds.

Good luck getting anything from him your best bet is Henry Valisco you get a super boat and get it in a couple weeks.

BUD T-5 bare hull plus some accessories. 16 months. All the same excuses. Got the hull but never did get all the accessories. Never again.

Bob Heywood

Dayton, OH

I'd all so look at Phil Thomas,s hulls..Grate price's and you'll get it in a matter of weeks..And best of all no B.S ..

I'd all so look at Phil Thomas,s hulls..Grate price's and you'll get it in a matter of weeks..And best of all no B.S ..
Hay Roy, Won't one of my molds that you have make the boat he wants ?

Maybe you and him can work somthing out.

Will, Dick has a history of doing this to people for the 17yrs I've been in the sport !

Yea this guy been doing this since I started in the 80.s But it hard to get people to beleave this..I think the mold will make the hull but I don't know if I have the coweling...

Hi everyone,
Has anyone ever ordered a 1/8 scale boat from D. Caspiri from Thunderboat Reproduction in the past and never got his boat?

This past December I posted on this forum my issue I had with Mr. Caspiri regarding my boat that I paid for and never recieved. by January 2006, he emailed me "admitting fault and felt he owed me a boat". After we spoke on the phone and after a couple of emails, he assured me that I will get my boat. I asked when it would be finished his response was " In about two or three month". He did tell me that he was involved in other things and that it would be some time. Well over the summer I emailed mr. Caspiri wanting to know how the boat was doing, he would email me back saying that the hull was done, waiting for the deck, stuff like that. That was back in July. Its now September and he has not even once emailed me this entire time to inform me of the boats progress. I have emailed him twice this past week or so, but am waiting for a response. Mr. Caspiri, are you going to keep your side of the deal or not? Can someone please tell me if this is normal with this guy? The boat was not cheap, I gave this fellow a check for about $1500 for a completed '82 Atlas van lines. I do not want to flame anyone in public, after my first post regarding this problem I had it pulled because I was under the strong impression that it was resolved, but I'm the one that forked over good hard earn money for no product.

It took a year to get my Executone hull from him. he has had some health issues, I think that put him a bit behind.

I'm starting to put it together, right after I cut my Bud T-2 hull in half, burn it, then drag it down the street behind my car.

I bought one of Dick's boat second hand , and I was worried about getting spare parts, I order a cowl , windshield and some other thing , he delivered in a timely manner. I have also called an talked to him several time and he has always been helpful. I'm sure there is much more time involved in making a hull

Doug what is up with your Bud?

9 years later and we fast forward to 2015.... I never got the boat, all I got was a couple PM's of excuse's... I gave up many yrs ago....

Some of the same stuff Happened with Troy just wonder where all the molds went. At least if you got one of Troys boats or dummy engines it was well built

Some of the same stuff Happened with Troy just wonder where all the molds went. At least if you got one of Troys boats or dummy engines it was well built
Caspari's boats were good boats, I've owed six of them over the years. Yeah he was slower than molasses in January and you had to constantly ride his ass to get your stuff but properly set up they ran very well and were fairly accurate scale wise. I haven't talked to or heard from him in a number of years, doubt he's even building anymore (web site is long gone). I wonder what happened to his molds as well, he offered more hull variations than any other scale builders by far.............

Rumor has it that Troy's molds were held for several years by the family until someone made an offer they would accept. One of the stories I've heard is they are in Texas but, again, this would be very hard to impossible to verify unless the family or new owner(if there is one) actually makes that information available to the boating world

My Dad's scale is a thunderboat reproduction hull. Very light, very fragile. The seems are very weak. No strength anywhere. But it's very very light.

Back