Cornering on a tunnel.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mike,

did you like my tunnelboat i build 25 years ago ?

Ic motors are different to electric power . This days electric pushed everthing to limits we all have never thought about. And there is no end. Also about cornering . In the Staates it is like bending the straight ,much wider not very narow like we turn in Europe. See the boats in Europe racing on the 30 meter triangle course ,

, I have run bigger and small tunnelboats on this racecourse. This is cornering on a dime or so .
Happy Amps Christian

7FAA45BF-3EB2-4691-ABAA-0E255B82CEF1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
A 1kg / roughly a 2lb ( batteries) boat thats 13 inches long with that many revs AND a mono is gonna turn like , well yeah, inside itself
default_wink.png

Esp impressive in the puddle they run in- I assume thats the class based on the Y/T title and a quick search.

Lets get back on track.

Carl and Tommy- did you guys ever play around with a Mod VP RC in the day ?

Mark Poole , started it from what lore tells me, and in recent years - a few of us have found a better way to skin a cat , so to speak, toying with pads on a pickle.

Curious if you 2 ever played around with a Pad ??

There is SOOO many years of knowledge being shared here- Lets not chit on it please.

A 1kg / roughly a 2lb ( batteries) boat thats 13 inches long with that many revs AND a mono is gonna turn like , well yeah, inside itself
default_wink.png

Esp impressive in the puddle they run in- I assume thats the class based on the Y/T title and a quick search.

Lets get back on track.

Mark Poole , started it from what lore tells me, and in recent years - a few of us have found a better way to skin a cat , so to speak, toying with pads on a pickle.

There is SOOO many years of knowledge being shared here- Lets not chit on it please.
Andy,

I have messed around with them a little but I have so many projects going on right now that I can't take on anything else. I will get back to it some day.

default_wink.png

Lets get back on track.

Andy,

I have messed around with them a little but I have so many projects going on right now that I can't take on anything else. I will get back to it some day.
Not asking you to re-invent the wheel- nor make a boat , looking for you to share what did and didnt work for you , if your willing to share ?

From my limited experience, I ran Marks boat first - " Mark was kind enough to gift me a boat at the time to grow the class , very strong btw. "

it hopped like hell down the straights , we tried all sorts of stuff- Ultimately , I figured out a little trick and we had one of the most fun heats I have ever run in my life at the Herb Stewart Challange the first year I put on that race. From there, one of the Junker's - Rich I think, played around with a boat that I ended up with, a pickle tunnel with a pad......

Changed the game FOR SURE .
default_cool.png
Mark keeps saying his works better , and this and that- but sadly, the class has fallen to the way side and we have not had a chance to race them against each other again-- shame really- Thats a call out I would be wiling to make thats realistic
default_ohmy.png

My original Vision is still tucked away- one day I will drag it back out.

O BOY....

Dave.. whats the end game?

People take this HOBBY at there own pace.. and truth is isn't that what is all about?

I have raced with you..... I have NOT raced with Andy.. BUT.. he for sure has his priorities right. Family and fun..

You CANNOT judge that..

Next..

Grim

From my limited experience, I ran Marks boat first - " Mark was kind enough to gift me a boat at the time to grow the class , very strong btw. "

it hopped like hell down the straights , we tried all sorts of stuff- Ultimately , I figured out a little trick and we had one of the most fun heats I have ever run in my life at the Herb Stewart Challange the first year I put on that race. From there, one of the Junker's - Rich I think, played around with a boat that I ended up with, a pickle tunnel with a pad......

default_cool.png
Mark keeps saying his works better , and this and that- but sadly, the class has fallen to the way side and we have not had a chance to race them against each other again-- shame really- Thats a call out I would be wiling to make thats realistic
default_ohmy.png

One of the biggest issues with the mod VP is the excess wetted surface due to the pod restrictions. You should set out to reduce as much contact with the water as much as possible. Since you can't cut the pod width below the one inch wide spec, the only thing left is the sponsons. Finding the right width and Dead rise angle that will not give you problems in the turns will be your goal.

Andy

You run boats.

I thought you was a key board racer.
I would have thought the same about you... throw out a little jab then go hiding behind the big boys lol

Some people need a life...but this thread is good for many different reasons ;-)

Guys,

Enough of the banter, the thinly veiled cheap shots and in general childish behavior, a couple of you are flirting which some time on the bench. So for the good of the hobby and o/b tunnels in general, how about at least pretending you like each other and share some worthwhile info so other o/b tunnel enthusiasts might gain something besides witnessing the apparent need for axes to be ground between some of you.

Hi,

want to show how my small q kg tunnel was designed for high cornering grip.This small boat runs great as you see on coppy water. For grip the inside of the sponson are angled so that the inner Sponson bite in the water and the outsinde sponson swep over the surface .

It was 20 inch long and 9 1/2 inch wide. On the drawing it has a submerge propeller but i run it with surface pircing Octura X440 . 24 nicads , selfmade motor . See the line on the water of the boat, comes from the left and corners righthand. I do the drawing 1981 . At the second drawing you see the comperison monohull we run in 1 kg class at this time that won 2 Naviga World Champion title by Hans Lehner .

Happy Amps Christian

5E171DA3-D904-45E5-888C-A870FABE42EF.jpeg

BAD2E582-6B96-4070-AA66-200E4FC54884.jpeg

D190AF06-C28E-4F36-91BF-9C3B34C6F757.jpeg

Guys,

Enough of the banter, the thinly veiled cheap shots and in general childish behavior, a couple of you are flirting which some time on the bench. So for the good of the hobby and o/b tunnels in general, how about at least pretending you like each other and share some worthwhile info so other o/b tunnel enthusiasts might gain something besides witnessing the apparent need for axes to be ground between some of you.
A BIG AMEN Brother Don!!

JD

Guys,

A BIG AMEN Brother Don!!

JD
agreed- And I will stop with my ONE COMPLAINT - as soon as you agree - thats its a legitimate concern . Lets be REAL here Don , You cant let one Vendor on this site to continue with the BLATANT disregard for how this site works - NO MATTER HOW MUCH they contribute in some peoples eyes. If you guys disagree with that, I will let it lay with the - some things will never change attitude and move on. That said- you cant let people like DR to continue to take shots , when I have been sat down for less
default_sad.png

Fair enough ??
default_sleep.png

default_cool.png
default_ohmy.png

One of the biggest issues with the mod VP is the excess wetted surface due to the pod restrictions. You should set out to reduce as much contact with the water as much as possible. Since you can't cut the pod width below the one inch wide spec, the only thing left is the sponsons. Finding the right width and Dead rise angle that will not give you problems in the turns will be your goal.
Rich found a good balance given the rules to work within, , sure wish Mark P would chime in here, but I dont blame him if he doesnt sadly
default_sleep.png

Guys,

A BIG AMEN Brother Don!!

JD
agreed- And I will stop with my ONE COMPLAINT - as soon as you agree - thats its a legitimate concern . Lets be REAL here Don , You cant let one Vendor on this site to continue with the BLATANT disregard for how this site works - NO MATTER HOW MUCH they contribute in some peoples eyes. If you guys disagree with that, I will let it lay with the - some things will never change attitude and move on. That said- you cant let people like DR to continue to take shots , when I have been sat down for less
default_sad.png

Fair enough ??
default_sleep.png
The excessive use of images and sizes creating billboard sized posts has been addressed as has commercial postings (this was not limited to one either). Now ALL OF YOU start playing nice or maybe I'll just lock out this entire forum. My patience has worn thin, do not continue to push it or everyone loses.

Hi Mike,

did you like my tunnelboat i build 25 years ago ?

Ic motors are different to electric power . This days electric pushed everthing to limits we all have never thought about. And there is no end. Also about cornering . In the Staates it is like bending the straight ,much wider not very narow like we turn in Europe. See the boats in Europe racing on the 30 meter triangle course ,

Christian,

Great turning boat for sure! Thanks for sharing.

-Carl

As I got the Leecraft plugs ready to ship to Ron, I noticed that the XTR-21 had a strake on the left sponson. Around the late 1990s when it was designed, someone must have thought it helped.

Lohring Miller

As I got the Leecraft plugs ready to ship to Ron, I noticed that the XTR-21 had a strake on the left sponson. Around the late 1990s when it was designed, someone must have thought it helped.

Lohring Miller
Humm. Very interesting Lohring.

Thats what I thought two Lohring. I was second guessing myself. I jsut sold the boat a couple of months back and did not have it to look at. It was a Tommy Lee original XTR21. So not sure why Tommy said he never had strakes on his boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back