Chargers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkScott

What are your suggetsions? Looking for AC/DC, at least two charging stations with the ability to perform chg/dis cycles. Currently using a iMax B6 for my lipos.

If you are going to be using it for racing and will be charging packs for a few different boats between heats, I would go with the Hyperion Duo3 and a power supply (you can get them really cheap!) If you are getting serious with FE I would buy the best charger you can afford. Don't waste time and money buying a bunch of cheap chargers...just MY honest opinion...to each his own!

I second the Hyperion choice. And when you get really serious:

IMG_4019.jpg

Lohring Miller

I like the Hyperions, but have also grown quite fond of my iCharger 406 Duo ( http://www.progressiverc.com/icharger-406duo.html)

I never charge anything larger than a 6S pack (even for a 10S setup, that would be a pair of 5S packs, so)... This one has tons of capacity and provides excellent user interfaces and charging data, etc. Small and compact as well.

DC only, though. No AC adapter, so you'll need a power supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charging is pretty straightforward and either the Hyperion or iChargers are excellent choices. First off I would say skip the AC versions, these lack a lot of features compared to the DC counterparts. Just buy a reasonable DC power supply. There are several people converting server power supplies which are very reasonable for the price.

Almost all the chargers are capable of discharging up to 50W per battery. This is good for simple discharging, but not adequate for cycling batteries. If you want to cycle batteries you want the iCharger 406 or 4010 and you will want to build an external load bank to absorb 1000W which is the limit of the iCharger.

There is great thread on OSE specific to the iCharger and load banks here: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?53979-Lipo-Load-Bank-for-Discarging-(moved-from-swap-shop)&highlight=load+bank

Tyler

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the feedback. Gives me more to think about before putting $$ down.. I'll have to dust off the old Pyramid 30a power supply used racing in the 80's/90's..

Lohring, that is some serious power going on there...

Latest posts

Back