CG on Rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Cartright

On a rigger should the CG be about the middle of turn fin? I got a rigger that turns all kinds of funny. the CG is about 1 1/2 inches behind turn fin. Wondering if this may cause some of the problem. Thanks

Randy Cartright

Location sounds ok. what does the boat do in the turns?

John

The boat seems to over steer in turns. Like bad servo,runnung 1/4 scale futba now did the same with 1/4 scale Hy Tec. I have changed radios rec. and transmitter, so thought the CG may be off. Thanks

Randy Cartright

I agree with Don on the need to know what boat design.

Check your rudder and make sure its not kicked back. That will lift the back and make the front do funny things. With a speed master rudder the front edge needs to be straight up and down not the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
CG sounds good. Make sure the TF is pointed straight. The rudder has to be of sufficient length. Props can do things too.

What does it do in the turns?

CG too far forward will cause an agressive hooking. Too far back and the boat is lazy. Anything in between sounds like something else is off.

CG sounds good. Make sure the TF is pointed straight. The rudder has to be of sufficient length. Props can do things too.
What does it do in the turns?

CG too far forward will cause an agressive hooking. Too far back and the boat is lazy. Anything in between sounds like something else is off.
You got it backwards Preston. Not trying to slam you, but if the cg is too far back the boat tends to spin out. I think maybe you were refering to the turn fin location. If it's too far back the boat is sluggish. Hey, were coming down to Chesapeake Saturday to run boats. Race or no race, we need the water time. Come on out!

Yup, I meant turn fin location, not CG.

Ok sorry about taking so long to get back.The boat is a Falcon Rigger with a gas engine, the boat is built by Todd Gunder. Looks like a cross between a Crapshooter and Eagle. Seen some of his boats run they did good. The turn fin is stright no up or down angle The rudder is 3 inches below the the rear sponsons. Tried a 1667 and a 3016 prop did not make any diffferance. On my other riggers the CG is closer to turn fin, that is the reason for asking. Thanks

Randy Cartright

Ok sorry about taking so long to get back.The boat is a Falcon Rigger with a gas engine, the boat is built by Todd Gunder. Looks like a cross between a Crapshooter and Eagle. Seen some of his boats run they did good. The turn fin is stright no up or down angle The rudder is 3 inches below the the rear sponsons. Tried a 1667 and a 3016 prop did not make any diffferance. On my other riggers the CG is closer to turn fin, that is the reason for asking. Thanks

Randy Cartright
Randy what are you using for a steering servo & at what voltage?

Randy Cartright

Don

Using 1/4 scale Futba servo, 2500 mga AA bateries,and going with 6 volts to reciver.With Y connection.

Randy Cartright

Randy Cartright

Don

Using 1/4 scale Futba servo, 2500 mga AA bateries,and going with 6 volts to reciver.With Y connection.

Randy Cartright
Y connection?? I run Futaba 1/4 scale servos plugged directly into my Futaba RX's with zero issues.

Load test the rudder servo.

also maybe maybe running to wet in the corners?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back