Carb rotor hardness?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Gibson

I'd like to open up the bore on an O.S. rotary carb a little. I have various reamers but I was wondering how hard these things usually are? Do they need to be annealed before reaming and then re-hardened?

Thanks,

Ken

I'd like to open up the bore on an O.S. rotary carb a little. I have various reamers but I was wondering how hard these things usually are? Do they need to be annealed before reaming and then re-hardened?

Thanks,

Ken
Maybe use a file and see if it cuts first. You should be able to grind and polish the carb rotors

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken

I would set it up in a mill and bore it with a carbide boring bar.

Dave Roach

First, thanks for the input, guys. This is just what I needed.

My mill is a horizontal so it's not much help. I have the rotor set up in the lathe and indicated in and was going to try to grind it with a grinder set up on the cross feed.

Does anyone make a boring bar that will go into a .217" hole? That would certainly be easier and more accurate.

My mill is a horizontal so it's not much help. I have the rotor set up in the lathe and indicated in and was going to try to grind it with a grinder set up on the cross feed.

Does anyone make a boring bar that will go into a .217" hole? That would certainly be easier and more accurate.
msc.com or enco.

Sounds like a good way to me! :)

Make sure it'll close off when you're done...

Well, that went quite well. A carbide boring bar probably would have been easier but the grinding apparatus was at hand and was very easily controlled.

The throat was enlarged from .217" to .261".

Thanks for the help!

Rotors.JPG

Well, that went quite well. A carbide boring bar probably would have been easier but the grinding apparatus was at hand and was very easily controlled.

The throat was enlarged from .217" to .261".

Thanks for the help!

Wow! Nice job! :)

Did you use some sort of toolpost grinder?

Thanks, Terry

Actually, I have a small Dotco 100,000 RPM air powered die grinder that I mounted on the compound. A 1/8" diamond burr did the cutting. Kind of a jury-rigged set up but it got the job done. Now that I have the method down, it should be easy to do again.

Thanks, Terry

Actually, I have a small Dotco 100,000 RPM air powered die grinder that I mounted on the compound. A 1/8" diamond burr did the cutting. Kind of a jury-rigged set up but it got the job done. Now that I have the method down, it should be easy to do again.
Kewl! :)

Back