Car Engines in boats, why dont you see more?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimD,

Waaayyyy funny. I think this just goes to show how much B.S. is out there. Did you get a look at the pipe on that thing? Looked similar to my compressor tank in my workshop.

Perhaps they accidentally run nitro glycerine in that baby when they had it on their ACME dyno.

On this topic however some of the extreme high end 1/8 road motors that cost mega bucks and don't last bugger all are very very quick. Probably good for Title events and special occasions. They pull massive revs and in a boat being flat out all the time would surely narrow the life even more.

"anyone ever tried a OS VZ-R???"

Saugling, never heard of that one. I went into the Tower site to see what is was. Is that a typo or one that isn't in there? I do remember a CZ-R and the CZ-Z. They were great motors in their time.

Yeah, I thought that the tub mounted turn fin is a great idea, it would put less stress on the right sponson.

That VZ motor is a great motor.

I wouldn’t recommend all car motors for boat applications, but I would definitely recommend some of the High end Novarossi's, RB's, Rossi's, CMB's and OS motors. If anyone decides to go with the car motor in a boat application please don’t forget to make the distinction between On-road and Off-road motors. You definitely will not want to put an off-road car motor in a boat. Off road motors are set up for lots of torque in the 10k-15k rpm range and are not well suited to boats at all.

Some high-end On-road motors are made to run at 30Krpm+ right out of the box. no timing changes at all..those would be the ones that do well in race boats. Just remember that the cars typically run lower CR's out the box and the combustion chambers in car motors are way too big for our 60% + nitro. Also the car carbs are no good for boats. Also, I've found that the cooling on car motors is typically way too much for boats and fins will need to be cut off if you intend to stay with air cooling as opposed to some restricted water cooling.

Have fun, :)

KB

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, havent been posting in a while, internet has been out for the past 4-5 days :angry:

Sauglings rigger is a perfect example of what Id like to do, but perhaps stepping up into a .21 sized engine, the blueprints im getting is a 7.5 Hawk, but will need to scale it down to a 3.5. Just looking around I saw the hyper 8 .21. Very sweet looking with a good name under its belt, perhaps its worth a shot, but it would be a 150$ mistake if it doesnt work. Im open for suggestions, but my only rule is under 200$ Im 15. ya know! :p And a pull start is in my best interest, even though it scrubs speed, im not looking to buy a 70$ starter system, unless somebody has a used one laying around? :huh: I probibly not buy another engine until this spring, but its never to early to start looking around and doing your homework!

Phil B) ;) :)

I was buzzing around tower for .21 engines and how competative is the O.S. .21 RG-MX Its cheap, and comes with a header. Claimed 1.7hp not too bad. Anybody run this motor? Hows it run for you?

Thanks,

Phil :huh: :) :D

You guys in the USA are privileged for 12 size engines! I have run a lot of 21 size engines on the bench over many years! In my humble opinion the MAXPOWER engines are the best! They are Novarossi based but tweaked! I have never run there .12 size engine but there .12 size engines have a good reputation in Europe! And the Maxpowers i have are monsters (I'm not a sales person or in anyway associated with MAXPOWER!!) But a guy in Australia called Rob Read who run Model Motorsport's International(who was a Novarossi agent for 20 year's!!) Put me on to the Maxpower engines and was i ever thankful! They flogged every Novarossi i owned and not by small margins by alot!!

13 year old thread lives again
default_rolleyes.gif

Bradley,

Does Rob Read have the 12-motors in stock?

I checked the Maxpower web site and no email answer yet?

Let Me Know Please?

Mark Sholund

Better to bring up one from the dead than to start one over again!

I tried a lot of .12's years ago. The high-collar ones ran worse than the cheaper ones. The OS Engines seemed to work really well for air-cooled car engines, actually a truck version because of the type of crankshaft used. There's a lot to be said for engine timing between the 4-wheelers and boats. I had 2 Fantom's which were monsters in trucks but duds in boats.

Sorry shoboat! I just come back today! Rob Read sold the business in about 2008. And a guy i only know as Darren took over! I rang him the other day and left a message(then an email) but he has not called me back as yet(i will contact him tomorrow morning!)Model Motorsport's International apparently can get Maxpower and Novarossi! But honestly stock in Australia is very very patchy at best! For anything Novarossi related! MAXPOWER has never answered any emails from me in 10 year's! Novarossi has never answered 1 email in 14 year's! Although they preach customer service they couldn't in my opinion give a tupney's toss! WE THE CONSUMERS DESERVE BETTER SERVICE! shoboat what i did find was a guy in the USA that runs a RC Drag racing web shop!(i will get back to you on that! he was fantastic and his response to my emails was in the hours not year's range!) He actually contacted the USA supplier of MAXPOWER and got back to me in 24 hours! (as i was told by Absolute Hobbyz that they were out of business! I found out this was hogwash! They are still in business!) After posting this i will get back to you on the details of the drag racing connection! If Novarossi 12 is what you want i would suggest the guys at Absolute Hobbyz in the USA! Good blokes and trusted! They have helped me out on more than one occasion! Hay Ron! Can timing on engines be obtained by head shim sizes? As i was under the impression that .12 size engines use the same crankshaft? The Maxpowers crank is tickled a bit from the standard Novarossi .12 crankshaft i believe? But i will be back with more information! And thanks for the replies

Rito immmmmm backkkkk the drag racing guy that contacted me is RC Racing Innovations www.rcracinginnovations.com in the USA the USA distributor for MAXPOWER RC ENGINES is RC AMERICA www.rcamerica.com and i found that Speed World Hobbies has a maxpower 12TQ factory race engine discounted from $599 to $420 i hope this doesn't get me booted off the forum? As i don't really know if this breaches some form of sales stuff! But then again i have NO connection to any of these people! But i simply want to help ANYONE OUT with the small information i have! Exactly the same way people on this forum have helped me out!! So you pat my back i pat yours

I just got off the phone to Darren at Model Motorsport's International here in Australia and he has some parts for Novarossi,RB,Serio and Maxpower land based engines! He has 1 8 port Maxpower buggy engine from around 2013 (that he is willing to sell at cost!) And was left boxes of parts for the engine's i mentioned above from around 2010 when he took over the business from Rob Read! What he did say was if parts are required he would prefer to have part numbers (but regardless he will try to help anyone out if they don't have part numbers!) His shop deals with rc car stuff only and has never been in the rc boat game! Sorry he has no .12 engines but may have some parts? He was more than helpful and had no drama helping me out! I hope this may be of help to maybe some guy's that have had engines on the bench gathering dust or worn out from around 2010? He mostly carries the REDS engines now but sadly said the game is slowing down in RC Cars and clubs are dying left right and center he also said on road RC racing is in decline! He to had tried to contact Fabio at Maxpower before Christmas and had no response! I hope i could help at least a few guys out with this information? Thanks for your guys help and replies

Car engines work just fine, sometimes great if you set the timing and head volume/clearance properly for boats. If you don't know how or a specific engine won't work in a boat there is probably a simple solution, and asking some questions on here will usually help get you going!

Thanks mtruex im pretty sure your the man that would know! Been watching some runs on YouTube with a man with a name similar to you and that guy knows his boats!! And can stear them aswell!! So i appreciate the response! Is there a proper way to time an engine (I've seen the CMB dial gauge tool screwed through the plug hole) is this only for head gasket(shim sizing) adjustment?

Bradley Ive been using Marty Davis's Engine Analisys for years...probably since its release..its a great tool to mod our small motors.Gill

Back