Car Engines in boats, why dont you see more?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dirt Dummy put a Fantom .15 with a pull-start in his Bonanno 'rigger and it hauls the mail! I was majorly disappointed in both of mine. The Trinity/Picco that I have is out of production so parts are hard to find already. I need to unload those Fantoms on a 4-wheeler and get some motors that will work.

any novarossi rear exhaust .12-.15, 3 port or 5 port = super speed and reliability to boot.

awesome engines B)

11164631000621reduced.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Dynamite .12 with a Paris dish piston. I bought it for a RC10 GT. Is this an OK motor for a rigger?

Ron,

I'm surprised parts are hard to find for the T/P .15. Don't they make a .15 now? I can't imagine that the parts would be so different you couldn't use them. I think mine is the same way but I wan't anticipating struggling with parts. That could be disappointing. What do you have to buy to have a motor that you can get parts for? I thoughtthe picco car motor parts were availible.

I broke a crank right at the threads while running. It tossed parts all over the pond. I did score another complete motor for $40.00 but had problems finding another one of those aluminum spacing washers. I've got one of those on the way this week finally that I found in Indy.

The Paris DP .12 was sold with a few boats, The ProBoat/DPI Nitro Fury and that Laserline tunnel. Not a Speed Demon in boats.

Thanks Ron, I forgot about those boats. There are better engines for a rigger, like the Novarossi's and Picco's mentioned.

To the guys that have compared the engines that haul in a car but are slower in a boat - have you tried running the pipe considerably shorter with a smaller prop?

Just because it performs differently with the same prop / pipelength does not mean they aren't a good engine - it just means the setup for that particular engine isn't right for the application. Exhaust timing in the sleeve shifts the torque band. Also - exhaust timing is directly related to pipe length.

Tim, I've been wrestling with props, carbs and pipe lengths all Summer on the Fantom's. The Trinity/Picco I can slap in any boat and it will start easily and outrun my so-called high performance motors. The only real improvement that I had was the addition of the carbs that Kevin sent me to try.

Has anyone tried those Mugen motors yet? I was told by one guy at a LHS that those might be a good boat motor to try in a boat.

Ron Olson said:
Tim, I've been wrestling with props, carbs and pipe lengths all Summer on the Fantom's. The Trinity/Picco I can slap in any boat and it will start easily and outrun my so-called high performance motors. The only real improvement that I had was the addition of the carbs that Kevin sent me to try.Has anyone tried those Mugen motors yet? I was told by one guy at a LHS that those might be a good boat motor to try in a boat.

68685[/snapback]

Ron, see my previous post. NR/Mugen .12. It hauls mail. I put a flat squishband button on it with a cut down blue sink. I raised the exhaust a bit to 175. For $150 new, it's an excellent deal.

I was looking around also to find if I could out do you guys. So, I did, check out the cen racing .46 big block truck engine. It makes a wapping 5HP, where as the OPS .45 makes 2.6HP. Since it goes in an 1/8th scale monster truck it must make some torque.

http://www.cenracing.com/cars/genesis/genesis.html

I do not know how much it is but they make some fast engines for cars.

TimD said:
To the guys that have compared the engines that haul in a car but are slower in a boat - have you tried running the pipe considerably shorter with a smaller prop?
Just because it performs differently with the same prop / pipelength does not mean they aren't a good engine - it just means the setup for that particular engine isn't right for the application. Exhaust timing in the sleeve shifts the torque band.  Also - exhaust timing is directly related to pipe length.

68680[/snapback]

Based on the props that some of the folks are saying they run with the .12 I think most are over proped and the pipes are way to long. Once you get the pipe near the 7" mark, then find a prop that will let the engine spin.

I've been trying the new MACS T-maxx 2.5 pipe on my riggers and my cat. It has a wider belly and is ALOT shorter than the std. 2.5 airplane pipe that most of the folks are running. I am finding that with the ultra short pipe the smaller props are really letting the engine spool up.

outboardman10 said:
I was looking around also to find if I could out do you guys.  So, I did, check out the cen racing .46 big block truck engine. It makes a wapping 5HP, where as the OPS .45 makes 2.6HP.  Since it goes in an 1/8th scale monster truck it must make some torque.
http://www.cenracing.com/cars/genesis/genesis.html

I do not know how much it is but they make some fast engines for cars.

68702[/snapback]

I was looking around also to find if I could out do you guys. So, I did, check out the Keith Black Hemi Top Fuel engine. It makes a wapping 4000+HP, where as the OPS .45 makes 2.6HP. Since it goes in a top fuel dragster it must make some torque. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry - I couldn't resist it!

The OS .12TR with threaded shaft and rotary carb runs very well in my rigger with no mods. OS makes a flyweel to fit, Associated makes a 180 degree header, and the macs tuned pipe seems to work very well with it. Easy to tune and very reasonably priced. Parts are very available.

I think it is a great all around choice for a fun rigger. It pulls a 1640 cuped easy and I am going to try more.

I'm sure there are more powerfull .12s out there and I for one am going to try some of them but to start with I think the TR is a very good choice.

Don ;)

I also love my OS .12 TR engine :wub: :wub: :wub:

I'm running it with just 30% nitro...and it pulls an V937 easy :D

hydro_211_neu_03.jpg

When Don brought his boat up for the Fun Run, he impressed a lot of the people there with his OS 'rigger. I haven't run an OS since I had a .12 ZR-R in my Nitro Hawk many Moon ago. Considering that is a low cost motor compared to some of todays $300.00+ .12's, it got my respect!

Saugling, how do you like the tub mounted turn fin? I was thinking of trying that.

My personal view is the car seen has really taken off in recent years and is leaving the boat scene in its wake, so the manufacturers are vesting alot of effort into these motors.

A bummer for us boaties, because with the ceramic technology these motors use and all the R&D going into them I'm sure there would be an opportunity to mod one for marine use and really kick some arse.

Just my 2cents worth!

The Sirio .15 is good. Very happy with it in my FF.12. MAC's pipe and a x438 or x440 prop.

Has threaded shaft and rotory carb. OS flywheel and Associated 180deg. header fit nicely.

MikeP

anthony_marquart said:
Saugling
What kind of rigger is that? It looks REAL cool. Wondering if that comes in a kit somplace?

68744[/snapback]

Well...this is my .12 "Eagle inspired" prototype :blink:

For me it is fast enough (about 45 mph)...but there is no kit planed right now, sorry

Back