Budget Radio Video Review

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen a review of the Hobby King/Fly Sky radio system and while I'm leery of putting a budget radio system in a high-dollar boat, I was impressed. The guy ran the boat in an area where glitching should be high, in a pond where there were a lot of power lines and not a single hit!

OK, I found the video:

This is using the 3-channel version.

www.hobbypartz.com carries them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your comparison was fair as if you reviewed the 3-channel Hobby King/Fly Sky versus the 2-channel Tactic then it would have been more of an apples vs. oranges.

We're all not made of money so some of us are looking for a good bargain plus there are a lot of radio systems out there that have more bells and whistles than most of us need or know what they do!

I like the way the Tactic Tx fires up the reciever in my dad's Rio EP without another switch. Like Grim says.....as far as you can see your boat....the Tatic will keep the signal. Not having an external antenna gives the models a more realistic apperance......and easier to put on cowls and haches when you fire up a nitro boat....like the MVD.

The same orange radio can be purchased at Hobbypartz. Less than $20 with free shipping. Radio is by Flysky from China.I have 2 rradios installed in rtr trucks and have had no problems. You can also use rechargeable batteries as the trans. has a charge jack. Futaba chargers work.

I can understand the lower cost side, but the key to this sport is having control of your model at all times. (hopefully!) I do not see cutting say $50 for a low end radio as being a good cost lowering solution. I would cut cost by building the boat and hardware as much as possible, and maybe cutting back on a high $ paint job. Motors and radios are what make this a sport, otherwise the boat would just sit on a shelf! I expect a used Futaba, or JR radio could be found and would work better than a low end radio system. Just my 2 cents worth is all.

I can understand the lower cost side, but the key to this sport is having control of your model at all times. (hopefully!) I do not see cutting say $50 for a low end radio as being a good cost lowering solution. I would cut cost by building the boat and hardware as much as possible, and maybe cutting back on a high $ paint job. Motors and radios are what make this a sport, otherwise the boat would just sit on a shelf! I expect a used Futaba, or JR radio could be found and would work better than a low end radio system. Just my 2 cents worth is all.

I agree. Radio system is definetely not something you should try to get the cheapest. But i dont agree with many thinking you should get the most expensive either (IE Futaba 3PK/4PK, Airtronics M11X, etc.)and use the most expensive servos just because you are running expensive boats so you should match them with a expensive radio.

Hard to beat the Futaba 3PM/3PMX 2.4ghz system when it comes to price & performance IMO.

Paul, I'm not really pointing this towards you but it makes me wonder if we're paying too much for our big brand name radio systems. Sure, my mind frame is that if I drop the big bucks for one that I'll put it into my high-dollar boats instead of a cheap one as I feel that there should be some kind of a ratio. Put a low-buck one in my cheaper boats while dropping serious coin into my expensive ones. FlySky isn't sponsoring off-road races, Indy cars or Nationwide racecars so they can afford to sell for less. All of our radio systems are made overseas but there must be a huge profit margin. If we're looking at a $20-35.00 street price radio system then imagine what it must cost to make one!

The funny thing is that I was really impressed with this radio and disappointed with some of the more expensive ones. How many have bought a Spektrum and then found out how badly they glitched on the water?

JAE 12 kit $50

Rc car motor $99

Spray can clear coat $30

Then..... $200 bucks for a radio? I don't think so.

I understand your argument and would agree if the entry level radios were somehow less accurate or less safe. But both of these budget radios are 2.4 latest technology and reliable. They have a place in the market and I bet a ton of them are sold.

JAE 12 kit $50

Rc car motor $99

Spray can clear coat $30

Then..... $200 bucks for a radio? I don't think so.

I understand your argument and would agree if the entry level radios were somehow less accurate or less safe. But both of these budget radios are 2.4 latest technology and reliable. They have a place in the market and I bet a ton of them are sold.
The first time that I saw one of those radio systems was in a JAE .12 that Joe Petro raffled off at the Hobart race and he filled me in on it. He had no problems with it in trying out the boat before it was raffled.

I'm still running some AM radios but mostly FM's in the rest. I still really like my FM's and while everyone else is switching to 2.4 Gig I'm having less problems in getting my frequencies as races. After seeing problems associated with some of the 2.4 radios it makes me glad that I haven't fully taken the plunge yet although I did recently buy a Futaba 2-PL 2.4.

Sure Ron I understand the "big name" radios are not ALWAYS that much better. Futaba has been around awhile, I like that as they know how to make a good product. I'm sure they farm out the work now to China (like most do) but at least they SHOULD have more control over how the finial product works. I'm sure there is a place for the low end radios, but I'm still a bit uneasy to put one in a fast/costly/nice boat of mine!

Paul, I'm not really pointing this towards you but it makes me wonder if we're paying too much for our big brand name radio systems. Sure, my mind frame is that if I drop the big bucks for one that I'll put it into my high-dollar boats instead of a cheap one as I feel that there should be some kind of a ratio. Put a low-buck one in my cheaper boats while dropping serious coin into my expensive ones. FlySky isn't sponsoring off-road races, Indy cars or Nationwide racecars so they can afford to sell for less. All of our radio systems are made overseas but there must be a huge profit margin. If we're looking at a $20-35.00 street price radio system then imagine what it must cost to make one!

The funny thing is that I was really impressed with this radio and disappointed with some of the more expensive ones. How many have bought a Spektrum and then found out how badly they glitched on the water?

I recetly purchased a Spectrum DX2S....to go in my Vegas....I was having bigtime issues with the stock AM radio glitching were I run...maybe it is the area....I dunno...anyway...a steep learning curve....however...my buddy I run with has a Duece with the Tactic....the only complaint is he cannot adjust the end points....other that that....he has had no issues and I love the simplicity of the Tatic...just three knobs to adjust....like my AM ...and I know some boats will require more adjustmensts....as I am learning this Spectrum...but sometimes it is better...IMHO...to have simplicity and realiability...and the Tatic excels at both.

Back