breaking shafts gas tunnel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunneltime

anybody else having this problem? am getting about 6 runs before it breaks. g-morty lower, does the lawless unit run the same size? seems to me that they are a little to stiff, say compared to a huey type cable. (MORE FLEX). I have no more left , there has to a solution here. I replaced the teflon with s/s tubing and it broke at the end instead of the middle like it usually does.???????

Tunneltime

The shaft breakage seems to vary subject to complete setup,

hull,weight,HP,driving,etc,etc

I have found that 2 blade props seem to be a lot easier on the shafts

than the 3 bladers,obviously as there is less load,ive also found horse power and

driving also contribute to breakages,a sudden squirt from a standing start to full throttle

seems to be the main cause of breakage at times.

All the shafts ive broke have been this way from sudden acceleration off a standing start or spinout etc,

i havnt had one break whilst running down the straights for example.

Tunneltime ive tried stiffer shafts (less flex) which tend to break quicker,and ive tried softer shafts(more flex)

which tend to twist themselves up

The change from the teflon to the brass wont hurt and also a regrease of the shaft each run does help

which im sure you do,even shaft oilers are a great help

The current shaft seems to be the most consistant to date and this is shaft material that is available

both here and in the US.

Mate im always looking to find the optimum shaft material for these lowers and its something that I will be always

looking to source but at present what is being used seems the best.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tunneltime

than the 3 bladers,obviously as there is less load,ive also found horse power and

driving also contribute to breakages,a sudden squirt from a standing start to full throttle

All the shafts ive broke have been this way from sudden acceleration off a standing start or spinout etc,

Tunneltime ive tried stiffer shafts (less flex) which tend to break quicker,and ive tried softer shafts(more flex)

The change from the teflon to the brass wont hurt and also a regrease of the shaft each run does help

The current shaft seems to be the most consistant to date and this is shaft material that is available

both here and in the US.

Mate im always looking to find the optimum shaft material for these lowers and its something that I will be always

Greg

Tunneltime

both here and in the US.

Greg
thanks greg for your reply, I am new to tunnels and have been told that shafts are an issue in all lowers, despite make/model. where can I get parts at this point in time. I have been dealing with james, well without any shafts I got busy thinking of a solution, I removed the sq. drive insert in the lower, made one out of brass to accept standard rd flex shaft, installed a collar in front of insert to prevent losing prop/shaft if breakage occurs. and went to rd. collett on motor as well. am trying a hughy type cable more flex, see what happens this wkend.. as for what you say about breakage , I am guilty.... was testing props2,3,4 blades holeshots, high speed/rpm;s you name it . I in no way intended to bash/trash your product, I like it , am getting a bit frustrated though, and was wondering if it was only me.. sincerly joe calogero.......

Joe, I am sorry you are having problems, I havent heard much about the shafts breaking other than a few instances. It sounds like Greg has given you some good ideas. I do have a few of his original replacement shafts left if you need some. I think I have 4 or 5 of them. After they are gone, you will have to get them direct from Greg until I can get back into the swing of things.

~James

Hi Joe,

I see you're beating up on those poor little flex shafts and found the weak link. Yup, all of the different lowers have the problem.

Ya gotta be smooooth...................... :)

Joe,if the hughys don't work for you, I have a couple of Gregs shafts here I can loan you until you get more from him if need be. You're welcome to them.

I do know Greg does tons of testing and if something better comes along, he will be the 1st to let everyone know. Greg's a class act and then some :)

Joe, I am sorry you are having problems, I havent heard much about the shafts breaking other than a few instances. It sounds like Greg has given you some good ideas. I do have a few of his original replacement shafts left if you need some. I think I have 4 or 5 of them. After they are gone, you will have to get them direct from Greg until I can get back into the swing of things.
~James

Joe, it looks like James has you covered.

You always know where to find me if you need.

thanks guys , for your input/support. yes james I will be intouch. same contact info? all my other boats are collecting dust, I am truly enjoying this hull, made a few mods to the bottom , able to turn pretty much wide open now. still blowing it over down the straights once in awhile, but still making progress. its just looks so cool running wide open.. and yes there is a learning curve. I brought it to the local race last month and ran it afterwards, everybody loved it, especially the nitro tunnel guys. I have a video, if I can figure how to post I will.. thanks again to all joe.........

thanks guys , for your input/support. yes james I will be intouch. same contact info? all my other boats are collecting dust, I am truly enjoying this hull, made a few mods to the bottom , able to turn pretty much wide open now. still blowing it over down the straights once in awhile, but still making progress. its just looks so cool running wide open.. and yes there is a learning curve. I brought it to the local race last month and ran it afterwards, everybody loved it, especially the nitro tunnel guys. I have a video, if I can figure how to post I will.. thanks again to all joe.........
If you have a good radio possibly you could slow the speed of the servo that might help but you will have to learn how to throttle it

Back