Must supple flex cable?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBonahoom

I have noticed a huge difference in friction/drag between different 1/4" flex cables. I have one flex shaft that is really supple, but all the others I have are really stiff. The stiff ones have a lot of drag in the stuff tube, even when using a very gradual bend. I can't remember where I got the more flexible one. Does anybody know who sells the more flexible material?

Hughey made the best shafts in my opinion but there no longer available.

My Uncle bought a flex shaft from SpeedMaster and it's the most wobbly thing I have ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The European flexs are good quality accutech sells them. Just use 11/32" brass for less friction ..

Stiff is suggestive.. I have speedmaster cables and ours. I would say ours is a little stiffer than speedmasters but not the stiffest i have seen( wire strands a thicker) not sure is this has something to do with it. I think it has to do with the tensile strength of the wire.

Tim

Maybe someone can chime in that have ours.

It has to do with the wind of the cable. All of the cable that all of us has been using is a long twist which make the cable stiffer. does not really cause a problem unless you have to much bend in your shaft log and with this it will cause heat. I am at the end of this cable on the reel and it has been discontinued. And reason it was discontinued is the string trimmers were have trouble building heat in curved shaft trimmers. I made about 15 cables the other day out of a sample of the new cable and it has a shorter twist. Very flexable and those are out there in the market. As I sell the older cable shafts that I have in stock you will see the newer cable come into the picture as I already have a 1000' reel. My cable has been coming from the same place as where Hughey got his. Been buying from them for years.

Been using aeromarine for years..

Work great

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back