big block nitro racing?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam it is the Florida club talking about doing this just trying to figure best time
Jeremy of the Broward club called me about this "Big Block" event when he started this thread. I thought it was a great idea, but suggested that it be held at a more Northern and Central location then South Fla. in order to insure success. He thought Tampa area might be better, but I suggested Atlanta or Huntsville.

I don't know if those locations have carried the race too far for Jeremy to want to be involved with the organization of the event, but I truly think for this type of event to be a success the location is critical.

It's a great race idea that I started a couple of years ago as I talked about a Twin only race using a format of 5 Qualifying rounds and 3 finals rounds to determine the winner. ( the thread is on here somewhere.)

The organization of the event need not be one club but a group of interested individuals and a club willing to provide the venue,

IMPBA Multi-Engine Class has a minimum combined displacement of .610 cuin / 10.0cc. Both engines must drive the prop(s).
I think the single engine class should be just Single Engine. (Any Single Engine Hydro .68 to 1.83 CI running on Glow.

The Twin engine class could be a combination of Twins that fall under F/X hydro and the new Multi-engine class. This would allow Twin 45's to run. (Any Twin engine Hydro .68 to 2.5 CI on Glow, Twin or Single prop with gear drive.)

David,W.

The TK 27 with a glow plug would fit into the Single engine class.

ALL Hydros would be welcome. Even European FSR VEES would be legal as they have STEPS that make them illegal in the USA mono classes.

That covers everything other than mono hulls and leaves a UNIVERSE full of room for ideas and innovation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Marty Davis has bin trying to grow his race sight now for some time. This would be a great spot.

I know it is farther away for the northern and western boaters. But this would be a good place to try it and see what happens.

The idea of single and twin hydro with a unlimited class sound good. That would make a three boat race for many.

The Tiger king would be a affordable eng to explore with. Lot of CI so you would not need much Nitro to get good power.

The price will only get better and parts are also inexpensive.

You have to start some where.

Lets getter done.

Robert that little bit of redneck is for you.
default_tongue.png

I think Tampa is a good location for everybody
Tampa -200 mile drive for me, 75 miles for David. 1000 mile drive for Stu Barr and Texans. 1500 miles for some great racers in Michigan and New York.

I would gladly make the 500 mile trip to Huntsville in order to ease the travel time for the majority of racers.
default_smile.png

P.S. David,

I think the two class will cover everything. It is about as "Unlimited" as it gets aside from Monos and engine less than .47 CI

The Indy Unlimited allowed EVERYTHING, but the above mentioned was rarely seen in the later years of the event.

In the early days of the Indy Unlimited .40 engines were popular, simply because we only had .19's, .40's and .60's. .80's and .91's were not available.

How many racers will not attend because we do not allow those?

I know Julian won't come because he can't run his Twin 21
default_wink.png
, Big Chuck won't come because he can't run all of his boats
default_wink.png
and Will G.won't come because we allow Cat's.
default_wink.png

Anyone else not coming?
default_smile.png

The Tampa club pond is in St. Petersburg which is over 4 hours for me but have made that drive before

Mr Turner, with having the Huntsville club In a great location being central and with that being said having more than just the host club officiate would be key. Two, three heck maybe having four clubs help would be ideal.
I just saw this Jeremy.

Yes, a number of individuals interested in helping would make this whole thing work best.

Let's start right here with a list.

Anyone or club interested please speak up and let us know how you can help. Everyone is great at something different.

Manage entries, Manage funds, seek sponsorships, organize, promotions, ect.

I would like to see race officials (CD's) who are not actually involved in the racing.

If this race were to happen I think me and my dad would have to get our old twin together and maybe make a 60 boat as well. This would be pretty cool to see happen.

I am going to list some Ideas. Please speak up Yea or nae.

We need a minimum of 30 boats in each class. 30 Singles, 30 Twins. This race won't be worth doing with less than 60 boats.

4 boats per heat

5 rounds of qualifying

Top 8 boats go on to Semi finals. 3 rounds of 4 boat heats.

Top 4 boats go on to finals. 3 rounds.

Awards for top 3 places in Single class and top 3 in Twin class.

Top two Singles and Top two Twins move on to the Grand Finale (David's idea).

These 4 boats race three more rounds.

WINNER gets the GRAND PRIZE. (The Rolex is getting attention)
default_smile.png

Entry fee $100 per boat. No raffles. All sponsor donations go directly to the contestants by way of prizes.

Rob,

Your dad was talking about building a 67 Hydro at the last race of the year.

Hopefully it won't be too much trouble getting the twin together?

I may have to get the 101 Eagle off the shelf that I got from John Otto

a few years ago. I believe it was Joe's old Blue and Yellow Eagle?

Have Fun Building This Winter,

Mark Sholund

Andy,

I have Julian's Twin 21 so he would have to run Elvis next year.

Format sounds Great to me!!!

I know a few jewelers that may be able to help with the Rolex.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

This is a good idea! The reason the Indy Unlimited was so popular was that it was simple and by the end you saw the fastest boats complete, independent of all the class and engine details. People will come out of retirement for this...even it it is just to sit in their rocking chairs and watch.
default_smile.png

Mark, the twin just needs the motors put in it and it's good to go. Im going to have a lot of time hear starting this week so we will have to see what happens lol.

Andy,

I have Julian's Twin 21 so he would have to run Elvis next year.

Format sounds Great to me!!!

I know a few jewelers that may be able to help with the Rolex.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
Great! Yes, Someone should be able to help us secure a good deal on a new genuine Rolex. Looks like a Rolex Submariner is what we need.

Yes, Bob B. I think some guys will come out of retirement for a race like this. I know I will be on the phone with a few who are not in the I/W loop.

Latest posts

Back