BIG BLOCK CMB Engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Warren

Different Boaters ask me every day what engine to Power Up or Repower there Twin or Single engine Hydro with. After a Year of Hard Racing my #1 Choice is CMB RS101 The current production engine comes with a flat Top Piston that gives the added material on top of the piston for added Durability. Purchased new this engine still requires Grooming. Head Bowl Volume MUST be Increased for High Nitro Racing (50-60 percent nitro use) Normally the intake rotor disk clearence is Decreased by machining off the front of the crankcase & the intake & exhaust timing need to be double checked especially if they are going to be ran in a Twin Engine Application Boat kit. Large pipe pressure fitting needs to be installed into desired Exhaust pipe & Large Fuel Tubing used thru out the Entire Fuel System. A Clean Fuel Filter & Clean Fuel Needle are a MUST! Also the Water Cooling Head on this engine is Way Over the Top.... After removing the Red cooling Water jacket from the engine you will notice a divider ring on the crankcase. there are 2 holes that allow water to flow from lower area to the upper area of the cooling head ( in rear area right above ex port). We plug one of these holes with a 4/40 set scerw. This allows the engine to make some heat on its own & you dont have to starve it for fuel to make heat..... A Mac`c Marine p/n 1395 & 1394 Pipe have been found to be the best performing pipes. Mark Bullard & Steve Wood can set your Engine up Properly. Both are on this web site & can be contacted. However the 91-VAC is Very Good out of the Box Race Engine & has the proper head Volume & clearence for High Nitro use. it uses the Rotor intake valve & no clearence adjustments are necessary. VAC 91 Headers & VAC 91 pipes work very well on the Current Blue Head 91 VAC engine. Both engine need large pipe pressure fitting installed into the desired pipe & large fuel tubing to feed the Engine & Fuel Demand. I have Personally found that the RS101 is a Little more work to Get it Right. But It Will Swing More Prop & Cup. VAC 91 props for a Twin are 1667 - 6.5 - 6.9 depending on the Pipe & the age of the Boat kit they are installed into. RS101 Props 1667 - 6.9 - 7.5 Depending on the Boat Kit (New or Older) & Pipes Used. Many Advantages in Boat kit mfgering are Currently being made to allow for Added Ride Heights & different Sponson Angles to allow Todays Engine to Excell at a level never seen Before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to share your findings. Its much appreciated.

Regards,

Elias

Theres a reason why Joes in the winnners circle at most races, anyone thinking of doing a twin should study what joe just said...Looking foward to seeing

you at the winternats Joe

Thanks for all your help!!

yeah, thanks for your info!
What about using the .45VAC motors? Do they run well out-of-box with 50% nitro?

Dave
DAVE, Consult Stu Barr about the Vac 45, The Head bowl Volume is small mine measured 3.2.3.3 I have found that 4.5 4.7 is a good number for 65 percent Nitro. & the intake rotor timing needs a little attention, Great little engine,Needs very little Grooming.

I chose to go with .91 VAC's for my new twin, as I will have to travel to other clubs to race it, and not every area of the country has enough people running the larger nitro boats to support a separate multi engine class. With .91's I will be able to race F Hydro, with 101's I would not.

yeah, thanks for your info!
What about using the .45VAC motors? Do they run well out-of-box with 50% nitro?

Dave
DAVE, Consult Stu Barr about the Vac 45, The Head bowl Volume is small mine measured 3.2.3.3 I have found that 4.5 4.7 is a good number for 65 percent Nitro. & the intake rotor timing needs a little attention, Great little engine,Needs very little Grooming.
thanks Joe. Essentially the head volume needs to be increased.

yes sir, Stu can tell you what size ball end mill to use to increase the diameter of the bowl.

Good thread!

I have a 44" Seaducer that needs an engine next year. My O.S. 91 worked great until the rod failed. I think that might be a weak link, so money better spent on a CMB.... Lesson learned....

What do you reccomend and would any changes be needed if I am running Grimracer 30% fuel which has 23% synthetic oil? I'm not looking to be the fastest, just reliable. Thanks.

Blackout said:
My O.S. 91 worked great until the rod failed.

I think that might be a weak link, so money better spent on a CMB
A new titanium-rod custom-made by Brad Christy is a lot cheaper as a new CMB :p

David Byrant that is a Good Point & Steve Wood does offer some Model CMB engine head Buttons (New) That are adjusted to the correct size for HIGH NITRO. He can tell you what sizes he stks

Craig for all out Power & Performance RS101. For just HOT RODDING around the lake VAC-91.

Craig for all out Power & Performance RS101. For just HOT RODDING around the lake VAC-91.
Joe

I disagree with you on this!

Joe so how much better off are you running the 101's over the 91's,

whats speeds are you running now(101's) to the 91's etc

regards Aaron

Joe

I disagree with you on this!

Joe so how much better off are you running the 101's over the 91's,

whats speeds are you running now(101's) to the 91's etc

regards Aaron
i agree with Joe and i have to disagree with you..He has one of the fastest Heat Racing F Mono when his boat is on there's no one that can touch him 91 RS/VAC. Obviously you never raced or seen any of Joe's boats run Aaron. his boats are rockets

In regards to the different CMB engine designations which would be the better model(s) to use:

.45 HR (hydro racing)?

.45 VAC?

.45 RS (racing special)?

I guess the VAC model is more recent?

Back