Better Micro servo .....

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using Promodeler standard size servos in all my gas boats for years now with no problems at all and I really like them. However, if you go to a sub micro, I would advise to stay away from the DS75. I had 3 of them in a row fail just setting the EPA on a standard Walbro 257 carb. 1 click beyond maxed out and the gears snapped in all of them. I switched over to a $15 Injora 7kg servo which turned out to be a direct fit. No problems.

Both of those Promodeler MICRO servos have good looking specs.

https://www.promodeler.com/micro
Just took a Pro Modeler Micro DS100DL out of a sport hydro being used on the throttle to install all new radio box and standard sized servos.

Tom,
I can ask him if he wants to get rid of it. Looks really fresh yet. Can't be very old.

s9hhF2n.jpg
I like the 3 level options they offer on the different models....the Hybrid's would be good enough for me, and they seem to be most cost efficient.
Internals are all the same, just different case and cap options.

Daniel, that looks like a Hybrid you've in your hand....do you know the country of manufacture?....more than likely Southeast Asia area.

I've received good product through Hobby King, especially of Taiwanese origin. And let's face it, the Chinese OWN the lithium sourcing for batteries- never had an issue with HK's LiFe offerings....but, would imagine pricing has increased as a result of the Covid/ Great Reset debacle....Glad we stocked up prior!

I've been using Promodeler standard size servos in all my gas boats for years now with no problems at all and I really like them. However, if you go to a sub micro, I would advise to stay away from the DS75. I had 3 of them in a row fail just setting the EPA on a standard Walbro 257 carb. 1 click beyond maxed out and the gears snapped in all of them. I switched over to a $15 Injora 7kg servo which turned out to be a direct fit. No problems.
I guess when we run into a sub micro throttle/ mix failure we'll look into designing a simple push spring absorber to soften the gear impact at EP. Savox uses specially treated titanium gear sets, and they've also implemented a dedicated buffer when sensing a current spike.

Jeeez..... I ran analog 4.8 futaba servos for years on 6.0 nicads... never had servo failures.. hell, some of my old boats still have the original servos I installed in the early 80's...

I've never seen so many servo issues since all of the newer radios and digital servos and lithium came on the scene... crazy..

When people set radio to HRS or should probably say don't set them to PPM that is one sure fire way to take out the old analogue servos in a jiffy with a new radio.
Don't use what you have not read about and understand is all I can tell you. That is tougher than you think for many.

The LiFe pack is no more voltage than NiCad but it does deliver way more amps so yes sir if you stall a servo on LiFe that is the only way it can be any more likely to do damage as normally the more amps you have the better but not when it comes to low torque servos that may be stalled momentarily. Do that with ooomph in your pack it is going to make more better magic smoke way quicker. It is not the voltage as that is no higher with LiFe but the amps LiFe can deliver when something gets shorted is incredible.

Over run those end points and tell that servo to go where it can't ever during just a simple backtrigger is enough to stall and smoke a servo if the braking EPA side was cranked up and never set properly. Or the high side over run even one iota for 6 laps and you should expect to find a cooked servo.

I use 1/8" rods and monster ball joints even for most throttle connections so there is no give and things better be set correctly.

Aside from those two things it is same as always. Don't run analogue on HRS and do not stall a crap servo connected to a battery with balls.

95% of people know and learn these things and use new radios with LiFe and LiPo with Zero issues and NO regulation. Batteries plugged straight in even. Get the right servo for what your doing and your fine.

Last edited:
Jeeez..... I ran analog 4.8 futaba servos for years on 6.0 nicads... never had servo failures.. hell, some of my old boats still have the original servos I installed in the early 80's...

I've never seen so many servo issues since all of the newer radios and digital servos and lithium came on the scene... crazy..
I know....guess I'm lucky. I never had issues in the 70's, 80's, or currently.

Oh wait, back in the late 70's-early 80's some range issues would pop up out of nowhere, but the loaded heli antennas took care of that.

https://www.promodeler.com/micro
Just took a Pro Modeler Micro DS100DL out of a stock Thunderboat hydro being used on the throttle to install all new radio box and standard sized servos.

Tom,
I can ask him if he wants to get rid of it. Looks really fresh yet. Can't be very old.
Well looks like my phone focused on the new servos in the box instead of the one I was showing. Oops. Second try not much better. Lol.

s9hhF2n.jpg

mGKNvnZ.jpg
Lmk thanks .

The last servo I burned out in a boat was back in around 98 or 99. I was running JR equipment and had an entire box go up.. (dont remember why that was now) short of some type.. the box was gutted!. yikes!

I have NEVER had a Futaba servo fail.. in a boating application following the voltages called out for the equipment.
My servos are correct for the task and mounted correctly.
A number of years ago now I did have a brown out when I was trying some different LiFe packs.. (never totally let go of the boat). thank goodness.. LOL

My choice (now recommend from the team) to use 400mm RX antennas comes from testing and information from the heads at Futaba USA and our conversations about 2.4 and water.

I have never had a switch fail, a servo fail, a RX fail.. a TX fail.. I dont know.. At what point is a cheaper servo worth it to go through this conversation and the frustrations (thats what I am seeing here) of a failure.

In the end.. make mine Futaba....Then, if your all having fun and your boating is trouble free... then DONT CHANGE A THING.. regardless of what equipment you are using!

Grim

Bty.. back in the late 80s and early 90s.. I went though the Hitec servo deal too... if they broke they would fix them for free.. LOL.. good thing...

Lmk thanks .
Tom,'
He is swinging back by on his way home from vacation on next Monday.

It may actually belong to Bob Austin as it is his boat but I have a feeling they have no further use for the servo since I redid it all. I will find out as soon as I talk to him or latest on next Monday if you can wait a week.

He did say the servo was not the reason for wanting to get it all in a proper radio box. It had a exposed Savox in the back for steering and they wanted to get it all in one box where it all belongs. Dave took on task of refining the boat and he wasn't having any of that remote servo BS in the boat.

Croom was just incredible on Saturday. We got to rip it up together sometime. We had about 7 in the group Saturday.
I park at north end where the big Pavillion is on south side of road between the curve and campground.

The Promodeler DS100DL is a great servo. But does have a little problem with being hooked up to an engine carb on a nitro boat by using a metal rod. They work great if you use a plastic rod and in airplanes. We jumped up to the DS150. Same size servo but has a better feedback pot and will take the abuse. We started running them about 5 years ago. and it has been a learning curve for both John and me with the small ones. But all of his servos are top notch.

Tom,'
He is swinging back by on his way home from vacation on next Monday.

It may actually belong to Bob Austin as it is his boat but I have a feeling they have no further use for the servo since I redid it all. I will find out as soon as I talk to him or latest on next Monday if you can wait a week.

He did say the servo was not the reason for wanting to get it all in a proper radio box. It had a exposed Savox in the back for steering and they wanted to get it all in one box where it all belongs. Dave took on task of refining the boat and he wasn't having any of that remote servo BS in the boat.

Croom was just incredible on Saturday. We got to rip it up together sometime. We had about 7 in the group Saturday.
I park at north end where the big Pavillion is on south side of road between the curve and campground.
I was supposed to go yesterday and got tied up at the house doing **** 😆

Oh no !!

I need my weekly fix but we haven't been going every week lately either. Been brutally hot out there.

Back