Better Micro servo .....

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Foley

Supporting Member
Well looking to replace the problematic HS - 85 MG servos on my Eagle SG's throttle and 3rd channel . they seem to fail at the worst times . any good replacements that are more reliable before I gut it and put some S- 148's in there that I have 50 of ? Thanks . Pic for attention .

Attachments

• 1935210_1176720109776_7628107_n.jpg
    1935210_1176720109776_7628107_n.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1
Tom
I hear all these people who have issues with the HS-81,82,85 servos. This is my go to for the throttle and 3rd. I am just not seeing it. From small nitro hydros up to the twins. What is failing?
Mike

Tom as Tyler posted the Hitec 5087 are great.
But also as Mike says I have not had an issue with those either.
If your radio has analog/digital settings for servo
Make sure it’s on the right one

Yes setting on radio ok
Throttle servo on eagle 45 using metal rod not Nyrod . Maybe it's the vibration . Have 3 dead servos spread out over the seasons.

I only use Sullivan nylon rod on my HS85mg throttle servos in my 12 outrigger. I stopped using both HS85mg and metal rods years ago, especially on 45 plus sized engines. Vibration eats these little guys up like they are free.

what voltage? I have burned up several with 6.6v packs, they won't tolerate anything over 6.0 volts, I use a voltage regulator at 5.2-5.4 volts now.
Servos can be strange....I've been using Savox MG micro's with metal rods on throttle and mix, powered by 6.6v LiFe packs, for 8 yrs now with no issues....however, end points and linkage all setup with zero binding, etc. Lucky?....maybe. Who knows....Savox tech support did tell me 6.6v wasn't going to hurt them.

A old style 4.8 volt - 6 volt analogiue servo's many were and still are really a 4.8 volt servo and should never have been given a 6 volt rating as they were being overdriven to begin with. Even a momentary stall in a overdriven servo will result in a failure.

Besides that what usually kills them is vibration or running them against the stops even momentarily.
Some models just won't work in boat environment even on the throttle/needle.

Spend a few bucks and get something with decent torque and can't hurt to have it be a HV rated servo and off course never a analogue for sure. We know a throttle for nitro is free and not even a return spring but having a decent amount of torque and it will let you know when it is fighting something and you will see something giving or hear it fighting it. The weak servo's just quietly die. Stay away from any with 4.8 rating unless they are HV rated as well that incorporates regulation into the servo.

Mount it IN RUBBERS with brass inserts with no points of possible hard contact with the mount. You will save in peace of mind and aggravation and cost of swapping the little buggers out regularly.

Run ALL digital servos and watch your end points on the throttle/needle. Sooner or later somehow you will accidentally get set to HRS and smoke the analogue and why not get the proper servo so you have failsafes on every channel and they work seamlessly without having to set just channel 2 every run to have failsafe protection at all like you do in PPM modulation. Digital servos hold center much better than analogues which isn't huge on needle or throttle but a digital will hold both more precisely as well and always take the setting to exactly where it should be for consistence idle and needle setting.

Last edited:
If you run a Hitec into any resistance or binding they're junk. Been through many. Look into Reefs micro 99. Super light and strong. Use them for steering servos on little boats.

I can count the failures of those servos on one finger since they were released. I too have used a ton of them over the years in all sizes of boats and giant scale aircraft. Have run LIFE batts since they came out in everything, no regulators. Before that 5 cell Nicad. That said, I have switched over to Promodeler and am very happy with the decision. Great servos and great people.

Both of those Promodeler MICRO servos have good looking specs.

https://www.promodeler.com/micro
Just took a Pro Modeler Micro DS100DL out of a stock Thunderboat hydro being used on the throttle to install all new radio box and standard sized servos.

Tom,
I can ask him if he wants to get rid of it. Looks really fresh yet. Can't be very old.
Well looks like my phone focused on the new servos in the box instead of the one I was showing. Oops. Second try not much better. Lol.

s9hhF2n.jpg

mGKNvnZ.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230820_201602609[1].jpg
    IMG_20230820_201602609[1].jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back