best fuel option for my gas boat?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have run Coleman and it ran fine but it is hard on carb diaphagms. We can buy non alcohol fuel for off road use here in Fla. Marinas usually have non alcohol fuel for boaters. I don't know where you live in Texas but if you are near a marina you can check that out.

Bill Hoch

I haven't had to change one diaphragm since going to Coleman fuel. I went through a lot of them on pump gas.

I use plain old 87 octane gas in my boats. I remove the ethanol and I have zero problems with the rubber parts in the carburator.

I have run nothing but NON-ETHANOL GAS in my toys since I have started playing and never paid more than $5.00 per gallon .. Sometimes vary between 87 and 91 octane but that hasn't caused any problems.. Depending on your location check on line for local Non-Ethanol gas in you area? Half the price of camp fuel and smells better when burnt!!!

Later!!

Pat

Rick, how much is the Yamaha lube per gallon?

mb
I'll get back to you on that Mike
Rick

Did you move to Fla.?

Bill Hoch
Morning Bill;

Yes, we ended up back in Florida. I'm back with MarineMax up here in the Jacksonville store.

So hell, maybe we can actually get you up this way to run some boats once where settled.
Looking forward to it Rick

Bill

I have run nothing but NON-ETHANOL GAS in my toys since I have started playing and never paid more than $5.00 per gallon .. Sometimes vary between 87 and 91 octane but that hasn't caused any problems.. Depending on your location check on line for local Non-Ethanol gas in you area? Half the price of camp fuel and smells better when burnt!!!

Later!!

Pat
Where I live, we can't get gas with no ethanol, so next best thing to do is to remove it from the gas. I used to have a friend who was a long haul truck driver and he would stop in the mid west and bring me farm gas, but he had an accident and died so that ended that.

THE VP SEF fuel is Good...Any ethanol free gas is good. The question is on the oil.. not all believe it but a good synthetic base oil will do wonders for ring life.. The difference is a crude based oil is just that. Although altered it has it limitations. The synthetics are created for the purpose that they are used...I like the Vp because there is no smell and the consistence of the product.. But I do encourage you to mix a few of the known oils and fuel combination and see what you like for your purpose..
default_wink.png
;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Later!!

Pat
Where I live, we can't get gas with no ethanol, so next best thing to do is to remove it from the gas. I used to have a friend who was a long haul truck driver and he would stop in the mid west and bring me farm gas, but he had an accident and died so that ended that.
Airports all have 100LL.

Chevron 87 with 8oz of Mercury quick silver will do anything you need. There is way too much hype about all of these fancy fuels these are low compression engines.

It isn't hype it is how you choose to take care of your engine.

It isn't usually about the octane.

NO ETHANOL is the reason we go out of our way to avoid fuel with it.

Besides the damage to soft parts of the carb and engine it is just plain bad to be used in two strokes. It diminishes the bond the oil has with the parts it is trying to protect.

Ethanol is a strong solvent that will wash the oil film from the engines parts most notably the piston skirt on the working intake side and will absolutely have an effect on the longevity of the engine. Gasoline is a lubricant where ethanol is anything but.

It is also corrosive to the aluminum our carbs and engines are made of. It can cause rust to pit the bearings as it attracts water.

It is about NO ethanol, cleanliness consistency and almost as important is to not have that nasty rotten stench that pump gas has.

Ran 100LL for six year mixed with Maxima 927 now running VP C12 and Motul 800 offroad.

The Maxima 927 oil no longer is compatible with 100LL AV gas. It will not mix and turns it to milk and settles out in several minutes.

Whatever you are going to use for fuel and oil you MUST test the compatibility of the two to confirm the two mix and stay mixed.

https://youtu.be/5Naawy2_oAI

It doesn't work anymore with 100LL.

There are several other combinations I know of that do the same thing. Shell V power 91 doesn't mix with Honda HP-2.

I'm running 100LL with Klotz Super Techniplate in my CMB Alpha 27. It's working out well so far.

Coleman and mercury semi synthetic works great or recreational fuel(no alcohol 90octane)makes good power,let's ring wear in to cylinder and no carb issues,local gas with ethanol burned me!

Ethanol is easily removed from gasoline.

Ethanol is water soluble, so to remove it, put a gallon and a half of gas in a 2 gallon gas can. Now add one quart of water, close the gas can and shake the hell out of it.

Now, let it sit till tomorrow. The gas and the water will separate and since water is heavier than gas, the water will settle to the bottom of the can. Then you pour off the gas taking care not to pour off any water. You can tell when it's water because of the color change.

Now, you have gas with NO ETHANOL. Now, mix with oil, go boating and have fun.

does the seperation trick really work?
Yes, It seems to work better than any other gas i have tried. I use 4 gallons of 93 octane, then add 1 gallon of water. Shake the L out of it, then let it sit for a few days till the gas is totally clear. Seems like the longer i let it sit, the clearer the gas gets.

Back