Angular contact bearing for collet setups?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A single angular contact bearing might not be the answer but what about a pre-loaded duplex pair?
default_rolleyes.gif

http://www.rbcbearings.com/thinsectionbearings-industrial/duplex.htm

Terry,

It would be possible if there was more meat in the housing and I made a custom crank, but that's gone too far. If I was going that far, I may as well convert the rear ball bearing to a roller bearing too.

Tyler

I just read through this thread, and had to reply. Even though a bearing is the same number and fit, the ball diameter and count may be different.

Is this occurring on multiple cases and cranks? Has the oil seal clearance been confirmed? The front bearing gets it's lube from the blowby coming through the seal.

Concentricity of all crank bores needs to be confirmed. Crank run out also needs to be confirmed if not already done so.

Angular contact bearings need a little preload, so a way set preload will need to be developed to get the correct load. I believe that Jim made some tool steel front housings for his 90 that may have been angular contact. I think Nelson also made an angular contact bearing 45 for speed events.

I followed Andrew's full complement build, and discussed with Greg S several years ago, but never had him clearance my bearings. I provided Greg the core races for his custom bearings, and we had many discussions about motor bearings.The only way that full complement bearings will work in our application is with ceramic balls. The ball to ball friction is too high with steel balls. I may still try these in a 101RS.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Back